Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

newbie, am I goin about it the right way?

cill

hey guys I'm new to the forum so I have a few questions but first a bit bout myself

I'm 17 years old from Ireland, I weigh 150lbs with bout 8% bodyfat(maybe a bit lower) and I'm 5 foot 9.

I train like a bodybuilder and eat like 1 aswell and probably always will but I have always been amazed by the unbelievable strength of gymnasts. Iv recently started trying to implement some gymnastic skills,such as planche,handstand work and front lever, into my training scheme but am unsure if I am going about it the right way

This is what a typical week of training looks like for me

SUNDAY: bodyweight training of back and shoulders

I use excercises such as different pullup variations, tuck front lever rows,body rows with feet on a chair,hspu's, divebomber pushups, walking on my hands etc

MONDAY: planche work and lever work with some core work

TUESDAY: off/cardio work

WEDNESDAY: back + shoulders in the gym

THURSDAY: chest + abs in gym(I throw in some psuedo planche pushups, and I do body levers for abs)

FRIDAY: off/cardio

SATURDAY: legs + arms in gym

So far with this approach I have progressed to being able to hold a full front lever for a couple of seconds(no cheating/swinging)

I can walk around on my hands/ hold a handstand for 15 secs

But its planche thats letting me down. I'm just not getting anywhere with it, I can hold the frog stand for pretty much as long as I want but I can only hold tuck planche for 3 secs max and its been like this for a while now.

I'm just wonderin if I'm goin the complete wrong way with regards to training or if there's anything I should be doing. I love to train with weights so I'd rather not give them up :mrgreen:

Oh supps I take are whey protein, creatine and amino acids

Thanks guys

Planche takes more skill than just simply holding or walking in a HS or a front or back lever. Give it time.

Ye its definitely tougher anyway :lol: . That's grand so I'll just keep pluggin away at it

But with regards to training frequency is one solid session a week enough to progress in it or should I be doing more(I'm unsure how often gymnasts work the same muscle groups in a week and I'd rather not overdo it and injure myself)

Coach Sommer has stated that planche/lever training can be done 4x/week. They can be trained on M,Tu,Th,F.