Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problem with tuck-ups, v-ups and straddle-ups:/

Joachim Gryholm

Joachim Gryholm

Hey guys, I've decided to ask for help even thought this is kinda embarrasing, but here goes anyway.

I used to be very overweight, but I have managed to get myself from 313lbs(142 kg.) to arund 194lbs (88 kg.) I'm feeling great etc. But I am experiencing a problem when it comes to all the "ups" from the book. 

Due to my weight loss, I have what I would call, an unneccesary amount of skin around my butt area or atleast the skin is not as tight as it should be. Because of this, my skin somehow becomes irritated an gets "stuck" between myself and the floor during the movement, right around where my tailbone ends.

Sometimes I cant really train the movement until 4-5 days later, because the skin is completely bruised, as if I fell off my bike and landed on my ass and received a nice abrasion.

So what do you guys say? Should I keep on training and the skin will become used to it, or should I stick to HLL, I can do these with good form. I'm not really looking to learn how to do a V-Up/Manna as I am probably to tall anyway (195cm.) But I would still like a strong and solid core.

Kind Regards

Jukka.

Congratulations on the weight loss Jukka!

One idea you could try, using a couple of mats, or folded blankets, so your rear sits in-between them. That will give the extra skin a little more space to move freely.

• Upvote 1

Joachim Gryholm

Congratulations on the weight loss Jukka!

One idea you could try, using a couple of mats, or folded blankets, so your rear sits in-between them. That will give the extra skin a little more space to move freely.

Thanks alot Cole!:)

I tried that, unfortunately it did not help much:( 

I've had pretty bad tailbone abrasions like you, and I've always been skinny, so the problem may or may not stem from your build. There's a certain amount of technique involved in avoiding blisters, and you'll have to experiment with how to do it, but basically, as form improves, the body tends to stop sliding back and forth, but rather stays in the same spot, while the limbs rise, whereby the chafing stops.

Once the damage is done, clean and dry the area, and apply sports tape. Leave the sports tape on the blister for days, it should easily be able to stick, and you can get back to your workouts quickly.

• Upvote 1

Joachim Gryholm

I've had pretty bad tailbone abrasions like you, and I've always been skinny, so the problem may or may not stem from your build. There's a certain amount of technique involved in avoiding blisters, and you'll have to experiment with how to do it, but basically, as form improves, the body tends to stop sliding back and forth, but rather stays in the same spot, while the limbs rise, whereby the chafing stops.

Once the damage is done, clean and dry the area, and apply sports tape. Leave the sports tape on the blister for days, it should easily be able to stick, and you can get back to your workouts quickly.

Thanks Ravn, I'll guess I'll have to suck it up:)

(Fedt med danskere herinde, har du været igang længe? Jeg er lige blevet introduceret til GB af en ven, det er for fedt!)

Another Dane, good stuff. I've been doing GB for some three years, I think, and the Foundation series since March '13. Where are you based?

Joachim Gryholm

Another Dane, good stuff. I've been doing GB for some three years, I think, and the Foundation series since March '13. Where are you based?

I'm based in Copenhagen. I've been following along with my friend on his Foundation, but I just bought H1 and I've been experimenting all morning, there is just something awesome about moving around with quality, that makes this kind of training 10 times better, than what can be done at the local Fitness World:)

• Upvote 1

I'm based in Copenhagen. I've been following along with my friend on his Foundation, but I just bought H1 and I've been experimenting all morning, there is just something awesome about moving around with quality, that makes this kind of training 10 times better, than what can be done at the local Fitness World:)

Absolutely. I love training, but can't make it work in a fitness centre, It's just too damn awkward on several levels. I love that GB puts some serious goals within reach of the general public. Good luck with your training!

Totally agree with what is put here. I used to be 74 kg (162 lbs) and am down to 66kg (145 lbs), and the difference in my tailbone area is huge. I had to stop doing v-up movements and press handstands (since they use muscles that pull on the tailbone....) for 4 months. I am back now, and totally fine, but using 2 flat pillows or blankets seems best~.

Joachim Gryholm

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Im gonna take it slow and try not to grind it, its just so damn annoying. Both deck squats and body rocks cause the problem aswell:/

• Upvote 1