Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone!

notern

Hello there. I'm new here and I've been experienting with gymnastics by myself for about 5 months or so, just sneaking around learning stuff from youtube and testing it like trial and error, until I found gymnasticbodies and hoped I could get some advice from you guys and learn more about GST. I had previous weight training for about 3 years. Been working towards the full Front Lever, supinated Back Lever and Handstand Presses. 

My actual level of strength on the One-Leg Front Lever (with feet touching the knee) is about 6 sets of 16s,
Half Lay Back Lever for 5 sets of 5 seconds and only a rep of Wall-assisted handstand press with my back facing the wall. 

I've been training about 4 times a week, rotating between isometrics, eccentrics and full ROM exercises, like a top-down, bottom's up approach. But, I've been kind of stuck on transitioning from the one-leg FL to half-lay, I practice half-lay eccentrics but couldn't reach 90º yet. Need someone to give me some insight about my actual routine, if possible!

Thanks for everything, and have a nice day!

Joakim Andersson

Hello and welcome!

My training used to be similar to yours. Made some very good progress, stalled elsewhere, had some injuries and a lot of imbalances. All I can do is recommend that you try the Foundation series. In your case, you'll have the front lever progressions laid out from pure beginner to mastering the skill.

Good day!

I'll look forward to get the Foundation series. Meanwhile, maybe if I give you details about the actual routine, can you give me some tips? Thanks again!

Adam Bodestyne

Sure; we know not everyone can get Foundation right away, so you work with what you can. Post your routine and hopefully we can supply some advice.

Oh, that's awesome. I usually train 4 days a week, not taking anything except the last set to failure. Always looking for more quality work rather than fatigue. I also do some assistance exercises like 4 sets of ring dips, chin-ups after the first part, supersetted with triceps extensions, shrugs and dumbbell curls.

Day 1 

Half-Lay FL Eccentrics - 6 sets x 3 reps of 6s

Supinated Adv. Tuck BL Hold - 5 sets x 30s

Wall-assisted Handstand Eccentrics - 4 sets x 4 reps of 10s

Straddle-L Work - 4 sets x 20 s

Day 2

Half Lay FL Holds (not 90º yet) - 6 sets of 16s
Supinated Adv. Tuck BL Eccentrics - 5 sets x 3 reps x 6s

Wall-assisted Handstand Holds - 4 sets x 20s
L-Sit Work - 4 sets x 25s

Day 3

Tuck FL Rows - 6 sets x 3 reps
Pronated Adv. Tuck BL Holds - 5 sets x 30s
Wall-assisted Handstand Pushups - 4 sets (can do only one :()

Straddle-L / L-sit Compression Work - 4 sets x 20s

Day 4

Tuck Front Lever Pulls - 6 sets x 6 reps

Skin The Cat w/ Straight Legs - 5 sets of 2 reps w/ 2-3 s pause at bottom

Wall-assisted HS Hold with belly facing the wall - 4 sets x 20s

Backward Hands L-Sit Work - 4 sets x 20s

That's pretty much all of it, been stuck with Handstands in general for a while. My goal is the Full FL. 

Joshua Slocum

- If you're not strong enough to hold the half-lay FL with good form, you shouldn't be working it. Do an easier variation that you can do with good form. 

- If you can only do one HSPU, they're too hard for you to get much out of working on them. Switch to an easier exercise.

- Before working on the back lever, it's a good idea to work up to several sets of 30s supinated German hang. This will condition your bicep tendons allowing you to safely work the supinated back lever.

- Working the pronated back lever is not terribly useful if you intend to progress to more difficult skills (e.g. an Iron Cross), because it does not develop bicep tendon strength. 

- You have no progression scheme listed. How much do you increase your volume by each week? When do you decide to move up to a more difficult variation of a movement? 

Oh right. Well, I always try to maintain the same amount of reps on each set, and when I'm able to perform twice the number of reps on the last set, I increase 1 rep on each set. For example, for 6 sets: 3/3/3/3/3/6, then I move up to 4/4/4/4/4/4 until I'm able to perform 4/4/4/4/4/8, then move up to 5/5/5/5/5/10, and so on. Until I'm able to perform all sets of 8-10 reps. On isometrics, until I'm able to double the time on the last set. When I usually feel comfortable, and form is kind of perfect, I switch to harder progressions. Also, I usually rest 90s between sets on the first week, and try to decrease it by 10 seconds each respective week, usually doing 4-8 week cycles and deloading with half volume workouts.