Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When and How to start tricking/tumbling ?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Hi !

Ive always been interested in acrobatics in gymnasts and trickers. 

When would be the ideal time to start and How ?

What would be the prerequisites and body shapes to master first ? ( I can think of forward rolls, backward rolls, carthwheels )

Some explosive leg strength would be a requirement aswell.

Please share your opinions :)

Joshua Slocum

The ideal time to trick would be never, because it looks awful  :P

My aesthetic preferences aside, you should start working on the basics now. Note that it would be prudent to acquire a solid Foundation in strength and mobility before beginning to work on advanced tumbling/tricking skills. Coach's approach (see Jon's link - I'd recommend reading through the whole thread) is the key to developing high level skills. Start by mastering the basics, and only start adding on more once you've perfected the current step. 

While it'd be prudent to wait until you've mastered bridges to begin working on handspring work, you can start working on forward/backward rolls, cartwheels and roundoffs now. Trampoline work is another thing you can begin now - it'll help you to develop air sense and learn the feeling of various acrobatic movements. Ideally you'd find a facility with good equipment: soft mats, a spring floor, and an in-ground trampoline. Finding a coach/mentor to help critique your form would be a good idea, too. 

• Upvote 1

Ideal time to start is now. You can wait a year and start, or start now with the basics and in a years time be doing things you never imagined you can. 

Basic gymnastic skills are always a must. As Joshua said, forward rolls etc. If you want to trick you also need to start working on your kicks and getting used to spinning around a lot. The first thing learnt in tricking generally is the 540 kick, but you'd start this from just a basic kick, then a 360 kick etc. Flexibility is also a must, I'd possibly say even more so for tricking (although i'm biased as i watch more tricking than traditional gymnastics). Flexibility is going to be the difference between a ugly kick/trick and a clean graceful flowing trick.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Michael Washienko

I have been a tricker for eight years now.  You need to stretch A LOT.  Practice your kicks (nearly every good tricker is a martial artist).  Learn the basics, they are not that physically demanding (although you will get very sore at first).  Work on basic bboy moves.

Start training and THINKING about your transitions.  The most interesting trickers are not the ones who throw the biggest moves, but rather piecing together basic moves in a creative way.  Tricking is very similar to dance and poetry.

Watch this video for a better explanation

Here are the ideas in action

(click on the link in the description to watch it a full speed).