Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thumb Pain From Planche Work

Cody Ward

I don't believe this is a common issue, but I've seemed to have developed a little bit of thumb pain from my planche work. It mainly hurts when I do anything with my hands on the ground and turned to the side. Hands completely forward actually hurts my wrists less than sideways hurts my thumbs.

The pain is in the joint below the knuckle. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Maybe work on stretching the thumb? If the muscles in the palm at the base of the thumb are too tight, the joints may experience high levels of torque, if that makes any sense to you. Strengthening the thumb could also be an option.

• 3 years later...

Hi Cody.  I am experiencing this precise problem with planche lean training.  Did you ever figure out a solution?  I am pretty confident it is not a strength deficiency -- I can close a C.O.C. #1 (140 pounds) with both hands.  I am presently orienting my hands with fingers more forward in order to save my thumbs, which almost feel sprained if I put my fingers more sideways.  But I am not sure if this is inhibiting my lean.  I am considering acquiring a set of very low "handle" type parallettes to use in future.

On 1/23/2014 at 8:30 PM, Cody Ward said:

I don't believe this is a common issue, but I've seemed to have developed a little bit of thumb pain from my planche work. It mainly hurts when I do anything with my hands on the ground and turned to the side. Hands completely forward actually hurts my wrists less than sideways hurts my thumbs.

The pain is in the joint below the knuckle. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

I've begun pointing my fingers forward for that same reason, but I also dislocated my thumb in December and it's still recovering.

I believe that the reason for straining the thumb is:

1) weak wrist

2) leaning to much but not being able to maintain a protracted and depressed scapula

3) bent elbows

Best is to check with a physio but also consider on checking your form when doing planche work.

Luke Searra

I concur with Leo here and I believe that following the wrist strengthening progressions from Handstand One will take care of the issue through methodical and consistent training.

• Upvote 1

Nick Murray

I have something similar. Here's what I've noticed:

If I have my fingers/thumbs spread,  this pain nearly always occurs (eg bent leg, straddle half planche - SPL/SE1 mobility)

If I have fingers pointing forwards with both thumbs pointing towards each other, OR if I have my fingers spread, sometimes I tend to push with the thumb or base of the thumb in order to maintain position. I haven't noticed any relation to scap position, but I defer to Leo on this point.

I have been trying to press the shoulders into external rotation AND focus on pressing the little finger side of the hand into the mat a little more in order to take some of the load off the thumb and base of the thumb. It's a bit too early to tell if this will help.

My work as a massage therapist also isn't helping, and I had to have my left thumb injected with cortisone about a year ago. There are, apparently several anatomic variations that could influence how robust the thumb is: I have 3 separate tendons in the thumb extensors (the muscles that pull the thumb out to the side). Usually there is one. According to the ultrasonographer, some people have up to 7 separate tendons in the one tendon sheath.  Perhaps this may make the tendons more irritable when they are under load, though I have not seen any research suggesting this.

• Upvote 1

Robert Davis

I tried turning my hands out about 45 degrees today and was pleased to notice very little discomfort.  It's probably been a month since I've tried it last. I do the wrist exercises every day and my thumb is healing well. This week I was happy to be able to unlock a child car seat 5 point harness with my previously injured thumb without pain. :)