Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rotor Cuff Injury

NickD

Hi Guys,

As always i hope all is well with everyone. Unfortunately i find my self in a bit of pain in front deltoid after over training in rings. After some research on the net it seems i may have torn a muscle in my rotor cuff, now i have had this happen to me in the past and a week rest usually was good enough for me to get back at it lightly. I was wondering if anyone had any advise in helping with the recovery, as i said the muscle that i feel has the tear is the front part of my shoulder which is most engaged in push ups.

Any advise would be appreciated,

Regards,

Nick DeFreitas.

If you have over developed front and underdeveloped back from working too much "beach muscles" before doing GB then you need to bring up strength in back and drop anterior work.

Gymnastics tends to be anterior heavy as well so you may need the focused work anyway.

1. Drop all pressing movements

2. Do lots of horizontal pulling

3. Strengthen ONLY your external rotators... ignore internal rotators

4. foam roll thoracic spine

5. Focus on fixing your posture all the time -- stand up straight with shoulders back

6. Band dislocates & other shoulder/scapula mobility work

7. Ice after any exercise/swelling

8. Lots of massage/tennis balling/etc. from the scapulae to the anterior shoulders.

If you have over developed front and underdeveloped back from working too much "beach muscles" before doing GB then you need to bring up strength in back and drop anterior work.

Gymnastics tends to be anterior heavy as well so you may need the focused work anyway.

1. Drop all pressing movements

2. Do lots of horizontal pulling

3. Strengthen ONLY your external rotators... ignore internal rotators

4. foam roll thoracic spine

5. Focus on fixing your posture all the time -- stand up straight with shoulders back

6. Band dislocates & other shoulder/scapula mobility work

7. Ice after any exercise/swelling

8. Lots of massage/tennis balling/etc. from the scapulae to the anterior shoulders.

i have a very good balance between my press and back pulls and to be honest i rarely do very many chest isolated pressing movements as i find bench press to be a big waste when i could be doing Bulgarian dips or the chest fly's with rings. My upper shoulders and outer arms also developed quite bit when i learned the muscle up. i think when i injured my shoulder i was doing a routine with my friend we have been working on when i press him over my head and he goes straddle press to handstand. But i basically just did too much that day rings an then having to press him just too much, but sometimes you get a bit excited when your really close to something.

when you say to strengthen only my external rotators and ignore internal rotators. I am a bit confused on this (sorry for my ignorance) how do i achieve this and why should i do it? the other things from icing and massaging and stretching i do already. I will add the band dislocates.

But thank you for your response :wink: and hopefully you can advise me again on the external rotators

Best regards,

Nick Defreitas.

Barbados