Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginning Ring Handstand Training.

Kevin Conley

Kevin Conley

Hey guys, I am to the point where my handstand is solid enough to bring it to the rings to make things better. However, I don't know how to approach a ring handstand. How do I get up, and down :oops: . I would attempt, but don't want to crash or waste my time as much when I can always ask :?: .

And imput is welcome, thanks!

P.S. Kinda funny seeing all the "Iron Cross" training on the forum when I bet few are even close to the proper conditioning for it. :mrgreen:

-Pro

Coach Sommer

If possible, please post a video of your handstand. Are you performing it on the floor only? I generally recommend learning a handstand on the floor, then moving to the parallets and then finally progressing onto the rings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Weaver

Prometheus

Assuming you've followed Coach's suggestions on progressing from the floor to the parallettes, and are comfortable with them, there are a few ways you could try. Coach suggested lowering your rings close to the floor, then kicking up into a handstand with your legs straddled enough so that the backs of your legs catch against the straps. You can kind of wrap your legs around the rings to keep your balance while you hold your handstand.

When I first learned the rings (this was back in 2001) were hanging about 7 feet off the ground. I used a block to jump into a support, and then had to do a bent-arm press in a tuck position, wrapping my legs around the straps while I fully extended into a handstand.

Both are a little scary the first time, but I would go with what Coach suggested.

Kevin Conley

Thanks Coach and Mark for the imput. I started a year ago doing handstands on the wall, then on the floor per your website Coach Sommer~. I have been doing handstands on the parallelettes for a few months now as well, since my wrists were always in pain when I trained on the floor too much (with your wrist exercises and proper rest I never feel pain anymore :o ).

I do not have a formal coach, but there is a gymnastic coach at the gym I go to, and I asked him to check my handstand. He said it was really good and wondered why I had not been doing hs-presses by then. I now do them frequently.

I apologize as I am unable to post a video since I do not have a camera (lost it shortly after my trip to Korea :roll: ).

Oh, the gymnastics coach said I need to tuck my head in more; that was his only critique, and I have been working on that with consistant improvement.

Thanks again for any additional comments/replys :wink: .

This is exactly why I filmed this sometime ago. I posted it in one of the forums but I can't remember where.

David Picó García
Kinda funny seeing all the "Iron Cross" training on the forum when I bet few are even close to the proper conditioning for it. :mrgreen:

I'm one of those :mrgreen:

But i have to argue about that, because it has been really helpful. My arms begin to grow like Hulk (well, more or less :P ), and my strength in two months increased like 6 months of dumbells curling.

If you approach the training in the right way (progression) is as crazy as training for the planche. And i think everybody here has done some tuck planche :wink:. And also my straight arm strength increase has good effects on my back lever and planche training. I'm light years from a cross without assistance, but the training to achieve that is a long road. But if i see benefits in the way they are welcome.

I would recommend about that to read an article by Steven Low. The link i think is in a thread of this forum.