Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

cottage cheese

Matteo.Za

Klemen Bobnar

I used to include 200g(I think this is about 100g protein) in my afterworkout shake(+ banana, milk and some carbohydrates) and I noticed no side effects besides diminshed sleep quality, but I workout before I go to bed, so it might be different for you.. A friend of mine who trains with weights eats like 500g or more a day and he seems to be fine. Try it yourself for two weeks and see how it effects you.

Connor Davies

I used to include 200g(I think this is about 100g protein) in my afterworkout shake.....

You know your body can only process 30g of protein at a time, right?

You are considering just the food weight: 100g of cottage cheese has around 12.2g of protein...

And there is a lot of controversy about such a limit, for example:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Klemen Bobnar

I wrote it wrong, 200g of cottage cheese certainly don't have 100g of protein :D it's around 30 :)

Connor Davies

....And there is a lot of controversy about such a limit....

Well it should be obvious that you can use more protein if the food takes longer to digest.  A steak takes quite a while to breakdown, so I'm sure if you eat a steak with more than 30g of protein in it you'll still be able to use it.  But cottage cheese is rather easy to digest, so....

Alexander Svensson

I don't have any links to studies or any exact numbers or anything but I have read on several occassions that a high calcium intake could lead to prostate cancer.

If you are interested you should probably do some research but it could be wise to take it easy on the dairy products.

"Diets high in calcium and dairy protein may increase the risk of prostate cancer."

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/type/prostate-cancer/about/prostate-cancer-risks-and-causes

I didnt really get the point of this

http://www.dairyreporter.com/R-D/Whole-fat-dairy-intake-associated-with-prostate-cancer-risk-US-researchers

What about whey protein?

Connor Davies

I don't have any links to studies or any exact numbers or anything but I have read on several occassions that a high calcium intake could lead to prostate cancer.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure we all get messed up prostates as we age.

Edit: Yes Joshua, I know damn well there's another [citation needed]

Well it should be obvious that you can use more protein if the food takes longer to digest.  A steak takes quite a while to breakdown, so I'm sure if you eat a steak with more than 30g of protein in it you'll still be able to use it.  But cottage cheese is rather easy to digest, so....

So obviously, 200g of cottage cheese wouldn't present any problem, since it has only around 25g of protein.

Connor Davies

So obviously, 200g of cottage cheese wouldn't present any problem, since it has only around 25g of protein.

Yes yes, cottage cheese is fine.  So I didn't take the time to google the protein content of cheese.  Can you really blame me?

Daniel Burnham

Some people, generally of European descent deal with dairy quite well. It is best to see how it works for you. I personally only drink raw milk and goats milk on occasion. I do cook with it and eat fermented dairy quite often though.

I have found no problem with it and can't find many sources that would say this style of consumption would lead to negative health effects.

The key is to to be smart about your choices but also respect others. And try to avoid only adhearing to the extremes of the argument.

Whole raw milk... Yum! Too bad I don't have enough opportunities to buy some. Closest organic foods store sells pasteurised milk. Shows how 'organic' can be a marketing ploy. 

Connor Davies

The key is to to be smart about your choices but also respect others. And try to avoid only adhearing to the extremes of the argument.

Ooh, can you go post this over in the crossfit threads?

Connor Davies

Whole raw milk... Yum! Too bad I don't have enough opportunities to buy some. Closest organic foods store sells pasteurised milk. Shows how 'organic' can be a marketing ploy. 

Pasturising milk doesn't make it not organic.  (Ugh, double negative)

It's just heating the milk.  Sure, it kills all the good bacteria, but they haven't added any non organic chemicals to it, which is where 'organic' comes from right?

I mean you don't complain that homogenised milk isn't organic....

Yeah, I get what you mean but I'm sure you do get what I mean too. :P

I see it as non-organic because in a way it still went through some 'unnatural' processing (heating is baaaaaad  :ph34r:), but if I actually applied that for all types of food, I wouldn't be eating much organic food... I think you're right that organic basically means that no chemicals were added, but I still find it paradoxical that these stores claim they can make you healthy when in the end they don't exactly sell the healthiest products. 

I mean they still sell cereals (which is already bad if you ask some people) and you can find HFCS in it (which is just bad). That's what I wanted to complain about in the first place.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.