Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Milk, Milk and More Milk!

Guest SuperBru

Dairy products helps in our growth and makes our bone fragments and teeth strong, milk decreases hypertension and avoid from cardiac arrest, diabetic issues, being overweight and certain types of cancer....

Guest SuperBru

Also is milk considered bad or good for you? I've come across multiple studies but the results are not consistent.

Samuli Jyrkinen

This is my broscience but I am almost certain that dairy causes acne for me. Source: my own personal experiences with on/off dairy testing. 

• Upvote 1

I still drink milk when I'm sick and I'm dealing with phleghm. The difference between too much phleghm and even more phleghm isn't a lot. Basically at that point I'm miserable anyways and I get some liquid and protein in me, especially if I'm barely in a mood to eat because my throat hurts.

If you can diary without adverse effects, why not. If it gives you the runs or a stomach ache, then obviously you shouldn't be drinking it. Maybe if you want to take lactose pills but that doesn't work for some people (or Lactaid). Especially if you have a casein allergy of course.

Michael Soueid

If your body tolerates lactose its a cheap and convenient way to bump up your calorie and protein intake but i wouldnt let it play a significant role in your diet. Pasteurisation takes out a lot of the nutritients so typical store brand milk is largely an empty calorie food, with good quality protein however. So as an addition to a healthy diet and in moderation i would say its good for you.

• Upvote 1

Jake Lawrance

if any milk, choose whole milk. Greek yoghurt, as long as you don't get the crappy 'fat free' ones like most supermarkets do these days, you're buying it for the fat and protein. Probiotics for gut health, again, avoid the fat free and find the MOST natural one you can, I am still struggling to yet find one. Overall, dairy fats can be good for slowing down digestion, which is great if you're trying to gain weight or just before bed so you don't wake up crazy hungry. Dairy should be a small part of the diet. It came from the cow, therefore not really for us. Also, opt for organic :) Brief, but that's all you really need to know in terms of dairy consumption :P

Joshua Naterman

And then there's me... lol :)

I feel my best when I'm getting around half a gallon per day. Of course, it's low temperature vat pasteurized, but I also drink close 16-32 ounces of homemade kefir every day. That stuff can make a HUGE difference in your life over time.

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

This is my broscience but I am almost certain that dairy causes acne for me. Source: my own personal experiences with on/off dairy testing. 

This has been my experience as well. I just test it every year or so to see if I "get over it." Sometimes I can drink it for days without a problem but most of the time if I drink any milk / eat any dairy products I break out pretty bad.

Guest SuperBru

I've just recently cut out milk from my diet and can notice my face is slightly clearer. Then again I drink a shtload of water anyway:)

Deins Drengers

And then there's me... lol :)

I feel my best when I'm getting around half a gallon per day. Of course, it's low temperature vat pasteurized, but I also drink close 16-32 ounces of homemade kefir every day. That stuff can make a HUGE difference in your life over time.

How do you make homemade kefir?

Samuli Jyrkinen

I probably developed an allergy to casein or something else in the milk(not lactose though). Because when I was a kid, milk was my favorite beverage and eating/drinking too much of several foods can cause problems/allergies. I used to drink it for thirst, at every meal etc. In high school had a bad bacne which still reminds me with multiple scars. Wish I had cut dairy back then but my nutrition info was too limited and all the experts said nutrition has no effect(NUTRITION AFFECTS EVERYTHING).

How about milk + prostate cancer? I read The China Study a while back, a very controversial book but the author crucified milk as the cancer promoting substance.

Also: if I am sensitive to dairy, is whey safe to use?

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) The China Study a while back (...)

Milk in China is glue + melamine + motor oil + peroxide... the studies are serious and conclude that "milk" causes cancer and premature death!

[Note that I probably exaggerate a little bit, but not much; and I am still POed by the melamine scandal 3 or 4 years ago; nobody went to prison, the CEOs of the large dairies are parading on TV and ads showing rosy babies and green pastures are shown on TV........... All in all, it is very similar to the bankers' costly adventures in good ol' US of A...  :wacko: ]

• Upvote 2

Michael Soueid

Milk in China is glue + melamine + motor oil + peroxide... the studies are serious and conclude that "milk" causes cancer and premature death!

[Note that I probably exaggerate a little bit, but not much; and I am still POed by the melamine scandal 3 or 4 years ago; nobody went to prison, the CEOs of the large dairies are parading on TV and ads showing rosy babies and green pastures are shown on TV........... All in all, it is very similar to the bankers' costly adventures in good ol' US of A...  :wacko: ]

Yeah milk is something i wont touch in China... And the latest food scandals not so long ago made me go almost 100% vegetarian for my shanghai visits :/

Marios Roussos

You may want to try goat milk if you're having issues with acne or phlegm. It's purported to not cause either, and my experience has been consistent with those statements. The only things is that not everyone likes the taste. Though I love it, my wife can't stand it.

If you're into rat studies, there's apparently some evidence of an anti-inflammatory effect in experimental rat colitis : ) And for Josh, part of the rationale is that it promotes the selective growth of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/3/672.full

For the person who asked how to make home made Kefir, it's pretty easy actually. All you need is to purchase some kefir "grains" and then follow a few instructions you can easily find on-line. It honestly takes a few minutes of work, 24-48h of waiting for the fermentation to happen, and you have yourself some home-made kefir. I got my grains for free from a goat farmer in my area by looking on here: http://www.torontoadvisors.com/suppliers?order=kefir.userCountry&page=10

• Upvote 2

I drank a lot of milk as a kid, weaned off a bit in my young adult years and I've never had a problem with it.

There is a difference between an allergy and and losing the ability to break down lactose (intolerance). Hives vs breaking out. 

Unlike cow's milk, goat's milk does not contain agglutinin. As a result, the fat globules in goat's milk do not cluster together, making them easier to digest.

Goat milk protein forms a softer curd (the term given to the protein clumps that are formed
by the action of your stomach acid on the protein), which makes the protein more easily and rapidly digestible. Theoretically, this more rapid transit through the stomach could be an advantage to infants and children
who regurgitate cow's milk easily. Goat's milk may also have advantages when it comes to allergies. Goat's milk contains only trace amounts of an allergenic casein protein, alpha-S1, found in cow's milk. Goat's milk
casein is more similar to human milk, yet cow's milk and goat's milk contain similar levels of the other allergenic protein, beta lactoglobulin.

• 3 weeks later...

lots of the studies on milk i have read seem to disagree, for example a study in wales showed milk decreased heart diseases (sorry i cant be more specific i cant find the articles i read). just the fact that some people are lactose intolerant makes me wonder if it is not just down to ancestry.

i.e. people from Europe historically drank milk whilst a lot of Asia and the middle east and Africa historically did not (again a slight generalization but im getting there...).

so is it not possible that certain groups of people have simply evolved to cope with so much lactose over time? this idea would at least partially account for so many conflicting studies

Joshua Naterman

lots of the studies on milk i have read seem to disagree, for example a study in wales showed milk decreased heart diseases (sorry i cant be more specific i cant find the articles i read). just the fact that some people are lactose intolerant makes me wonder if it is not just down to ancestry.

i.e. people from Europe historically drank milk whilst a lot of Asia and the middle east and Africa historically did not (again a slight generalization but im getting there...).

so is it not possible that certain groups of people have simply evolved to cope with so much lactose over time? this idea would at least partially account for so many conflicting studies

It's possible, but oxidized fats and a high omega 6: 3 ratio are more likely sources of CV problems than lactose ever will be. These are heavily dependent on how the cows are raised... and then there's the issue of antibiotics, pus in the milk from sick cows, etc.

Additionally, simply switching to fermented drinks like kefir will substantially improve your health AND get rid of all lactose. Then only people with whey or casein allergies will need to avoid dairy.

Actually there is evidence of the consumption of milk in Africa and the Near Middle East ( Canaan and Sumeria ) besides Northern India.

There are still various groups in Africa that consume milk without issue which is peculiar since by the numbers, African Americans seem to have a problem with lactose as do Central and South Americans.

Mongols were known to drink milk and milk was drunk with tea in the Chinese courts. My guess is milk drinking died out in some heavily dependent agricultural societies. Raising cattle takes a lot of land versus just growing fruits and vegetables. Cattle was kept for the Chinese court but it was probably something for the Imperials rather than the masses.

And of course sheep and goat milk were quite popular besides cow milk. I know in Arabia, camel milk has become popular and it is supposedly very nutritious and preferred over cow's milk. Camel's milk actually has less lactose and more protein and minerals than cow milk and sheep and goat's milk both have more fat and protein than cow's milk.

Mikkel Ravn

if any milk, choose whole milk. Greek yoghurt, as long as you don't get the crappy 'fat free' ones like most supermarkets do these days, you're buying it for the fat and protein. Probiotics for gut health, again, avoid the fat free and find the MOST natural one you can, I am still struggling to yet find one. Overall, dairy fats can be good for slowing down digestion, which is great if you're trying to gain weight or just before bed so you don't wake up crazy hungry. Dairy should be a small part of the diet. It came from the cow, therefore not really for us. Also, opt for organic :) Brief, but that's all you really need to know in terms of dairy consumption :P

It came from the cow, therefore not really for us, seriously? I don't really get the argument, as this could be said about a whole range of foods. I don't think nutrition is as simple as a square peg and a round hole.

Never had a problem with milk and dairy in general, in our home it is a staple. I also don't worry about protein powder and such, I just drink roughly 1.5 liters of skimmed milk peri and post workout, I figure that it gives me roughly the carbs and protein I need. Of course I also eat a lot post workout in addition to the milk.

There are stricter rules in the EU about raising cows on growth hormone - It isn't allowed here, so I get why some americans would distrust dairy.

Where does the recommendation to avoid the fat-free versions come from? Sure we need some animal fat, but is there any reason to go overboard?

Before beginning F1, I drank whole milk as a kind of bulking attempt over a year. When I began F1, I also switched to skimmed milk, the rest of my diet left unchanged. I lost 5 kg (11~ish lbs) relatively quick and look leaner than ever. I assume that most of those 5 kg were fat, since I am stronger than I have ever been. Whole milk absolutely made me fatter, though it may also have given me some more muscle. I think the decision to drink whole or skimmed milk should rest upon analysis of the context.

• Upvote 1

Jake Lawrance

Yes, sorry I was a bit too forward, I didn't mean to seem like I came to a conclusion, it is definitely open for debate! 

Well, I suppose some people can tolerate dairy much better than others, as you say, it is a staple in your home which could pretty much suggest you were raised on it so, you're able to stomach it better? 

In response to the fat-free situation, talking generally about all dairy products, when they are stripped of fat they are replaced with sweeteners or a rather large load of sugar to replace the taste lost from fats. Now specifically talking milk, when the fat is 'separated', it loses all the fat soluble vitamins and is then fortified with vitamins A and D to make up for the nutritional loss, so you might not get the full nutritional value you would get from whole milk. Now, this one is mainly for females, but studies suggest that a *high* intake (so maybe it's not too bad) of skimmed or fat free milk has been linked to the impairment of ovulating whereas consuming full fat milk can improve fertility.

Then for the males, although this is not clear cut, skimmed milk consumption could promote the onset of prostate cancer whereas whole milk can prevent it. <-- I suspect that this is all long term effects, so going through phases of drinking whole/skim might not affect an individual at all (maybe).

FREDERIC DUPONT

(...) talking generally about all dairy products, when they are stripped of fat they are replaced with sweeteners or a rather large load of sugar to replace the taste lost from fats (...)

Not for milk, at least not in Europe. :)

Half skim or fat free milk, is just milk with part or all of the fat removed.

.......... Even whole milk has some fat removed to make a standard 3.3% fat milk.

But it is not replaced by anything.

...however, maybe you were referring to more processed dairy?

You may have a point with the lipid soluble vitamins, albeit a trivial one IMHO.

Fertility... Hummm, that would likely be a hormonal issue; milk production and gestation are closely linked cousins, and progestative hormones are present in the milk... Whether or not the fat content plays a role (hormones in the lipids?), I could not say, my Uni years are too far away.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.