Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Static exercises = Big nono for kids?

Ping Blekkboks

Ping Blekkboks

Hello everyone.

Was at a Swedish conference for swimcoaches this weekend, and attended one seminar; "Strength training for pre-pubertal kids".

All was looking good and making sense, until this was said: "NEVER use static exercises for kids. Stuff like forearm plank must never be used with pre-pubertal kids."

Reasons? Other than "children needs dynamic exercises to fully develop their nervous system". (which kind of makes sense, but not buying it completely), none were presented.

They also said static exercises was inferior, because you only trained the body "in one position". She then proceeded changing the position about 5 cm, and claiming "the body will then be weak in this position".

When confronted with questions about the reasoning behind the anti-static-exercises-policy, she only regurgitated what she probably wrote on her exam, with no actual self-critical thinking or evaluation.

Thoughts?

Daniel Burnham

There are some holds such as iron cross which are considered too dangerous for kids to work on.  There are several gymnasts who have suffered lifelong injuries due to premature cross training.  This doesn't hold true for all statics though.

• Upvote 1

Some static hold training versus "Free" weight lifting....static hold training please. The body of a young athlete will adapt as it grows.

Of course the body is going to be weak in the new position, it hasn't been give the chance to adapt and develop the needed strength to maintain the new positions.

• Like 1

The only thing I'd say is that kids tend to do better with stuff that engages their interest.  Telling a kid to stay still in a difficult position can be a tough sell.  It can be easier to get them fired up about movements.  I actually use forearm plank with pre-pubertal swimmers.  But it works a lot better if you make jokes about them being stiff like a table then put a glass of water on their backs or line them up and play bowling underneath their stomachs etc

• Upvote 2

Connor Davies

They also said static exercises was inferior, because you only trained the body "in one position". She then proceeded changing the position about 5 cm, and claiming "the body will then be weak in this position".

I've heard this stance before.  To some extent it is true, unless the body is trained at the position of the most disadvantaged leverage.  Building strength at full extension on a dead hang probably isn't going to help you get your first pullup, but flex hangs might.  If you train static strength at the hardest part of the movement, it will carryover to the rest of the movement.

And that's ignoring completely all of the fantastic joint integrity benefits of true straight arm strength.

Ping Blekkboks

Thanks.

I think synchro is right on, do varied stuff that keeps them interested. 

With focus on dynamics, but not being afraid to throw some worthwhile static exercises in there.

Bipocni:

With flex hang, you mean hanging with slight flex in the elbows or with full flex? The joint is most disadvantaged at small flex if you ask me.

Jake Lawrance

Standing up is a static exercise, maybe they shouldn't stand up  :facepalm:

Pardon my French, she's a poo.

• Upvote 1