Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Exercises for Ege like mushroom

Yevgeny Lbov

Hi all,

I've been pretty much fascinated by the added value of mushroom training, that I've decided to have one for myself. About 2 months ago I bumped into an old post by couch Sommer regarding his preferred mushroom type. Quote:

Actually the choice will depend on whether the mushroom is for competition or developmental purposes.

For developmental progressions, I by far prefer the EGE mushrooms as you previously profiled:
new – pommel mushroom by EGE
Wednesday, March 7th, 2007

I have had one for several years now and it is far superior to a regular mushroom. I believe that Norbert’s will be offering them in the near future.

source: http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2007/12/best-pommel-mushrooms/

Fortunately for me, my dad is a carpenter, and he was able to pretty much duplicate the original Ege mushroom accordingly to its original dimensions.

The final result:

post-5238-0-09578500-1389490053_thumb.jp

I've started doing walk around circles and 1/4 jumps around the mushroom but I'm not sure regarding the supposed progress, because of the irregular shape of the mushroom - it's prolonged compared to the round regular mushroom. Is that a problem?

I'm taking ideas for exercises from video guides like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWoRBsPiek

Do you think I should train with it as if it was a regular mushroom?

Another question, where in my practice I should schedule it?

I do 3 times a week foundation practice and 3 times a week HS practice.
I also to little additional rings training and some crawling Ido portal style.

I don't think I'm exhausting myself, but I feel like not knowing how I should arrange my time properly.

So basically I have 2 questions:
How to train on my Ege style mushroom and how to cleverly arrange my training schedule?

p.s. to mods: I posted this in Movement forum, but maybe this belongs better to Skill development. Please move it if possible.

Thank a lot,

Yevgeny

Daniel Burnham

Train like usual mushroom. I've listed some progressions elsewhere. I would actually suggest you also get a bucket trainer. It will be hard to get the legs up high enough to feel the movement at first since the eve is so low to the ground.

Hi Daniel,

I found your posts regarding the mushroom on the Skill development forum after starting this thread. Thanks for the tips.

Actually, using a bucket trainer is something which is relatively easy to apply, even at home, but I just don't know where  I can drill in my ceiling for placing an anchor since the only place in my apartment where I can practice a complete swing has a weak ceiling.

It's something to think about.

You are actually saying that practicing on Ege probably demands a bucket while on the regular doesn't?

Daniel Burnham

I'm saying it is much more difficult for taller people (adults) to learn circles closer to the ground because they scrape before the can get the feel of their momentum around their shoulders. The bucket lets you know how to move and where the hands go

Personally I think the bucket should be used on both. Just saying the ege trainer is a better tool for learning the pommel apparatus no doubt. However it is more difficult to start on.

If you can raise the ege you may have an easier go at it. Eventually the ege should be out on the ground though.

Daniel Burnham

I myself am planning on making both an ege and a copy of a training mushroom I saw in a Chinese development video to see how the kids in my gym handle them.

Great, I see.

I'll do what I can without a bucket, and if I see that I get stuck for a too long time, I'll try to find a solution. (Maybe find a place to hang a bucket somewhere outside).

If you would like, I could take some photos of the structure of this ege like mushroom and describe how it was made.
It's pretty solid and smooth on the surface.

I would like to hear an opinion from you or from other people regarding what is the smartest way to combine F+HS+Rings+Pommel.
I think that on one day I can do F+Pommel and on the other HS+Rings. It feels to me like a natural distribution, but I really don't know.