Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's needed for Handstand 1?

Chris Hansen

Chris Hansen

Hi,

Could someone explain the particulars of what's needed to go through Handstand 1?

I'm worried that I will spend the money and find I'm unable to use it due to resource restrictions. For example: I don't think I have a place to practice face-the-wall handstands. The only place I have is a recessed doorway at the end of a narrow hallway. I can kick up so my back is facing the door but I'm not sure how I'll get up with my stomach facing. I also don't have much room for falling down in the living room. The basement has floor space but a short ceiling.

I've just started Foundation One and am excited about it but would like to include some kind of overhead pressing. In the absence of Handstand 1, how could that best be scheduled?

Thanks.

Christian Sørlie

For a long time all you need is a stick, some weighplates (10 1 pound plates will last long) and a little space.

Joshua Slocum

If you have a space where you can do a back-to-wall handstand, you can also do a chest-to-wall handstand. To get into a chest-to-wall handstand, begin in a squatting position just in front of the door, with your hands on the ground. Then use your legs to walk your way up the door, while you use your arms to walk your chest closer to the door. You can place a yoga mat or carpet at the foot of the door to make rolling out more comfortable. To come down, simple walk your hands away from the door while walking your feet down.

Handstand 1 contains a video of how to do this.

The most important equipment requirement is, as mentioned, a stick and some weights. There are some other minor equipment requirements, but they are easily improvised (e.g. by stacking books or using milk crates). Towards the end, you will need some parallettes, but those can be made from components available at a hardware store for ~$20. The only element you might have some equipment trouble with is the Chinese handstand. If you're short (less than 68 inches/173cm), you could probably get away with using a doorframe for this element. If you're taller than that, I'm sure the community could help you figure out a way to improvise given the resources available to you. I wouldn't pass up H1 over the worry that you might not be able to find the equipment for a single exercise, though. 

• Upvote 1

hmm  dont give up..  handstand 1 is superb. if this fails just in beginning just because no room, i feel sorry for you :D  i kiding..improvisation is your way, you will manage like everyone here. if you want it

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

It's worth emphasizing again: the community is quite ingenious when it comes to improvisation. If you're having trouble figuring out how you can perform an exercise with the equipment you have, there will be plenty of people happy to help you figure something out on the H1 board.

• Upvote 1

Chris Hansen

Well, I actually tried walking up the wall into a handstand and it went fine. There isn't as much pressure on the door as I thought there would be so I went ahead and ordered Handstand One.

• Upvote 2