Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GB Curriculum Content Predictions

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Scott Pelton-Stroud

So I wanted to make a thread for those of us who are super-curious and enjoy speculating on what Coach Sommer has in store for us with the rest of the GB Curriculum. I have a lot of theories, I think Bipocni does, too, and I'm sure there are many more of you with even more ideas! I think this would be a good place to gather the hype.

I don't think I'm breaking any rules here, since this is just guessing about information that we don't have, but I'd like to set a couple basic rules:

1. Please do not discuss any of the contents of F1-4 or H1 other than what is available in the basic descriptions on the product purchase page (ie, Foundation Series masters Front Lever, Manna, Side Lever, etc--H1 masters a 2min handstand). Do not state your knowledge of included exercises to justify one prediction or argue another.

2. Please do not discuss anything that Coach or other GB athletes may or may not have hinted at in a private forum... *cough*foundation4*cough*

With this, I don't think there can be any qualms with this thread, but I'm going to wait a little bit before making my first prediction post to allow a moderator to judge and delete this if they see fit.

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Right, so.

We've got Handstand 2, Handstand 3, the Rings series, the Movement series, and Hungarian left unreleased.

Thanks to Bipocni catching a comment made by Coach in one of the public threads about the Movement series, we can guess that Hungarian will include Magyars (because it means Hungarian in Hungarian), which are traveling floor circles. From this, I would assume that Hungarian would include a lot of the breakdance-esque Floor skills, ie Floor Circles, Flairs, Russians, and the spin to Handstand. Not sure what else would be featured.

Rings would probably lead up to the advanced holds we see in a lot of ring routines (well, they seem advanced to me), such as Iron Cross, Maltese, Planche, Inverted Cross. Muscle-up would probably be like PE1 for something, maybe leading up to an Elevator. Coach seemed to imply from posting that video of Marcel Nguyen that we would be able to do a straight-arm muscle-up by the end, too (Butterfly?). And I assume we'll learn all of the cool rolls, transitions, and other dynamic ring movements, as well.

Then there's the handstand series, none of which require mastery of another Handstand program. After a two-minute free-standing handstand, what's left? From what little I know, there's various presses to handstand, ring handstands, one-handed handstands, and Japanese handstands. Handstands 1 & 2 are corequisites for F2-F4, H3, R1, M2 & M3, and are prerequisites for R2-R4 and Hungarian. I originally thought that H2 would contain ring handstands, since it is a prereq for most of the R series, but Ring Handstands are not particularly related to what might be in the Movement series. However, press handstands are related to everything, so perhaps those would be featured in H2? And maybe Ring Handstands are taken care of in the R series. I would guess that whatever's left (Japanese handstand, one-handed handstands, more advanced handstand pressing, moving around in a handstand) would be found in H3.

This leaves the Movement series. I keep hearing people say that it has been stated that (sadly) there will be no tumbling in M series. But from what we know about Coach Sommer's definition of Movement, it will feature lots of "dynamic strength". It will also precede the skills mastered in Hungarian, none of it will require mastery of the Handstand, and I'm also just guessing that it would focus on more floor-based techniques (though I could totally be wrong there). Browsing the videos on the GB youtube channel, Dynamic Strength might include: L-sit Walks, Senders, Reverse-plank walks, Wallabees, and Wheels. Somewhere in here we should also develop some serious posterior chain strength. But I'm pretty perplexed on what specific skills will be achieved in "Dynamic Strength" training.

So there's my two cents. Anyone else care to share their ideas?

• Upvote 1

Coach States somewhere on the forum that the Rings series will not contain dynamic movements, only strength.

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Darn. I wonder if any dynamic ring movements would be in the Movement series then. There's that one clip from the GB intro video where one athlete performs a forward roll. Maybe that would just count as a CPP, though.

Seeing a video of Galimores reminded me that CPPs will probably be a major element of R series.

Christian Sørlie

For sure forward roll will be in the ring series. Just look at the ring strength 2 and 3 video. I guess backward roll will be included too.

Joseph Blazuk

He said no swinging skills, not necessarily no dynamic movements.  I really doubt there will be inverted cross, planche, and maltese.  I think the most advanced we will see is cross.

Scott Pelton-Stroud

From what I'm reading, Iron Cross = Ring Straddle Planche < Ring Full Planche < Inverted Cross < Maltese.

Also, since some of Coach's athletes were doing some Maltese/Elevator work, I am hopeful that he might go that far in the series... Since F4 (and a normal Straddle Planche) precedes R3 & R4, at least a Ring Full Planche does not seem unrealistic. 

Joshua Slocum

Straddle planche is easier than iron cross, both on the elbows and in terms of raw strength required. It's also one of the movements that Coach explicitly recommends as a prerequisite for iron cross work. 

Forwards/backwards rolls are not really dynamic movements: if you're doing them right, they should be slow and controlled. 

In my opinion:

Rings may have a bent arm sections (may contain the Muscle-ups, Galimores, Elevators etc.), and also a static element section (Ring Supports, L-Sits, Back Levers, Iron Cross, Maltese etc.)  I remember Coach saying that Iron Cross is a prereq for Maltese.  So I really hope that Rings will take us to Elevators, Iron Cross, and Maltese.

H2 will be press handstands.  I think we'll get pike handstand.  I also remember Dillon's posts where he talks about a straddle planche handstand having different mechanics than a straddle pike handstand so I wonder if that will be there too?  I think H3 will be about Ring Handstand.  However I sometimes wonder if Reverse Planche is considered a type of handstand?

Movement will probably have these sections: Explosive pushing (hopping handstands, Wheel Pushups), Explosive Pulling (Chinese pull-ups?), Explosive Lower Body (Senders, Jumping Single Leg Squats), Explosive Core (Arch/Hollow Snaps, AG Walks etc.).  I'm expecting to see quads/hip flexor flexibility and calves flexibility.  I'm really really hoping for ankle/feet mobility series.

I wonder if there will be side splits and front splits.  If I had to place them, side splits in H2 (for straddle work), front splits in Movement?

M: Germans, Senders, Arch-Hollow Snaps

R: Handstand, Planche, Muscle Up (hopefully leading up to Inverted Muscle Up), Galimores

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

Most content we will see are actually on the first book, BtGB. Besides alll the Youtube video's content. 

But I think the whole curriculum will take us far far away than we think or even imagine.

My guess has already said for all of you. But I prefer keep training than keep writing :D Without training, we can't achieve nothing said here.

Cheers!

• Upvote 3

I think that for R1 the focus will be on a very limited set of exercises so that it can be combined with the foundation and handstand series. Given that there are already 7 strength exercises in the F series, I would think that 1 strength exercise and 1 mobility exercise should be enough for R1. Otherwise we won’t be able to manage the work load.

My guess is this that the strength exercise will build up to a shoulder stand on rings, while the mobility part will build up to a back lever. Those would be a nice addition to the F series. The reason why I consider BL to be a mobility exercise is because you’ll probably need to master a German Hang before you can start training it.

Shoulder stands were a popular movement in the Ring series when the WODs were still available and a back lever probably isn’t too hard compared to other rings exercises so it could also be part of R1. A BL would fit nicely with the FL that is part of the F series. Both the BL and FL can then be used further in R2 to build up to forward and backward rolls and the accompanying Ring Series.

Connor Davies

I'm willing to bet that the rings series will have a muscleup progression, a cross/maltese progression and a 'rolling' progression, covering felge, 360 pulls an gallimores.

• 3 weeks later...
Michaël Van den Berg

This was posted on Facebook today so I assume it's okay if I share this here :)

"Rings One is the first of the GB four part ring strength series. Specific ring strength mobility, bent arm ring strength (BARS), leverage assisted ring strength (LARS) and straight arm ring strength (SARS) are all addressed in each of the courses. Over the four courses BARS progresses from introductory muscle up work all the way up to reverse muscle ups, SARS progresses from support work and back levers all the way up to maltese and inverted cross and LARS is simply full of fun and excitement every step of the way. Rings One is obviously the first of the ring strength courses and is the mandatory prerequisite for all of the other ring strength courses that follow.

Remember however that Rings One is NOT an introductory GST course and you will make the best progress is you have progressed at least through Foundation Two before you begin."

*edit: hah! I did not see that Cory posted the exact same thing today.

Connor Davies

Specific ring strength mobility, bent arm ring strength (BARS), leverage assisted ring strength (LARS) and straight arm ring strength (SARS) are all addressed in each of the courses.

Damn a leverage assisted progression path!  Why didn't I think of that?

I don't really get what leverage assisted ring strength could be though, haha.

Also, I remember I said in another thread that H2 or H3 could be about XR HS but now, I'm pretty sure XR HS will be in Rings (maybe before XR sPL or something) and Coach pretty much told us that H2 would be about various presses to HS. 

My hopes of H3 being about OAHS (even if it's not very specific to gymnastics) seem more realistic.  :P

Connor Davies

I don't really get what leverage assisted ring strength could be though, haha.

Things like pelicans and back lever curls fit the bill nicely.

Wells at least I got the Bent Arm and Straight Arm correct, but didnt expect straight arm to get all the way to inverted cross, only thought that maltese is it.

I'm interested in where Leveraged Assisted Path leads us to

Wells at least I got the Bent Arm and Straight Arm correct, but didnt expect straight arm to get all the way to inverted cross, only thought that maltese is it.

Inverted cross may be harder for some people, but the maltese is rated higher in difficulty in the code of points.

Connor Davies

How exactly are those leverage assisted?

To date I've seen exactly one press from maltese to planche.

However, I've seen a few videos where people train them with feet supported.  I also heard at a seminar once they tried back lever curls, again with feet supported.

I can't really picture a back lever curl without foot support....

Edit: But generally I think it will be flyes and things like that.  Stuff that you can't exactly do while suspended because the leverage is unfavourable.

Connor Davies

Inverted cross may be harder for some people, but the maltese is rated higher in difficulty in the code of points.

What about inverted cross press to handstand?