Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Protein Powder and Fish Oil Capsules

ryantherobot

ryantherobot

I'm thinking of investing in Protein Powder and Fish Oil Capsules.

Few questions:

First off I exercise fairly regularly always doing squats, pull-ups, dips, handstands, sit-ups, candlessticks, clap push-ups, a little lifting (use water buckets weighing more than enough for me [66lbs], sprint, jump rope, taekwondo, and when i can convince myself to I go for longer runs [3mi]. I also am still training l-sits, advanced tuck planche, and body lever negatives...

I don't do all this every day. I do about 6 or 7 of these in no real great systematic way. But it feels good and I've made progress. Consistency comes with practice. On Saturdays I lift real weights when I can get into town.

Anyways with that type of exercise is it needed to have Protein Powder or Fish Oil Capsules on hand? I weigh 145lbs at 5'9 wearing size 28 pants... I'd almost consider mass builder powder but its more expensive and I've got a fat on my stomache still that I can't seem to shake.

Then if you do all think this is a good idea to invest in when should they be taken? I usually do my weight lifting/pushups/pullups type of deal then stop to have some form of protein either milk, peanuts, or egg and then do a little more workout namely taekwondo practice. Would that be a good method for the protein?

I see a lot about Fish Oil Pills nutritional stuff online but can't seem to find an answer as to when to take them. With meal? One site said with cheat (big meal)? One site said 3 times a day?

I generally do 3g of fish oil 3x per day. Target typically is around 4-6g/d often stated. It helps with recovery and joints and about a zillion other things ( like elimination/complexion ). I generally take them with some sort of food ( milk, fruit or meals ).

Protein powder. I rarely use the stuff anymore and just drink milk. It's cost efficient. I do simple Whey ( nothing fancy or expensive like the ultrafiltered stuff where most of the lactose is taken out to make it near zero carb ). Carbs help recovery or give me fuel. I'd like to reintroduce L-glutamine back and maybe some of the newer creatine. Beta Alanine is too expensive.

Something to bare in mind is the cost of protein powder. Milk or Egg or Whey. I dunno about the veggie protein powders but I'd stay away from Soy, period. I also try to stay away from the stuff with artificial sweetners but that is hard to find and typically more expensive.

Another thing is because of where you are is possibly cost. My friend living in Japan finds Protein powder very expensive so usually asks people he knows when they come to pack some in their bags and pay for it. He took as much as he could when he left the states to move there.

Protein powders are cheaper then milk, we are talking about protein amount:cost ratio. I see you are living in the states Blairbob, so it should be way cheaper then in Europe. Here in slovenia is good quality protein powder from 50€ (65 US dollars). That is way more expensive then is US!!!US have very chep supplements (sometimes to 50% on exact firm).

Protein powder is not as cheap as milk here. Milk is 4 dollars for 2 gallons. That's 256g of protein or equal to about 16 servings of the whey protein I buy which costs around 13 bucks for that much. I probably could get it cheaper online though like the protein factory.

We have for one litre 0,76€, I didn't convert to gallon.

Either way, it's not the same if you drink it from the milk or whey powder. First it's a lot slower than whey powder, second in milk you have cca. 50:50 ration of whey and casein, thrid lactose (if you are lactose intolerante you can get diarrhoea), and forth fat wich is not good for anything (burns for energy and slows everything).

I would be glad to have same priceses in EU like you do for supplements there in USA :lol:

Yeah, milk isn't fast acting like whey unfortunately which is why I keep the whey around.

I have no problems with lactose as I presumably have the mutation to process lactose from my Northern European heritage.

Fat is good for energy. Milk has enough carbs for glycogen repletion.

ryantherobot

well based on my reading more on the Fish Capsules I don't think they're necessary... I eat tuna at least 4 times a week if not more. According to the container I was looking at its more for people that don't have access to fresh fish.

A piece of Yellowfin here costs about $1.50ST which is $0.60US. Thats for a single serving. I think its like $18.00ST ($7US) for a full kilo but could be off on that as I never buy more than one or two servings worth at a time so that its always fresh.

I do however think I need to invest in some Protein powder. Its not that expensive at one of the stores here and Milk is quite expensive. A 1L carton of Milk is $3.60ST and its UHT which people seem to have mixed opinions about.

I should add that I am a volunteer (Peace Corp) and get paid in the local currency $1000ST a month... so its $3.60ST for me to buy a litre of milk (4 servings) vs $47ST for 24 servings of a Whey Protein Powder. $1.95ST a serving of protein powder -vs- $0.90ST a serving of UHT Milk.

Seems a no brainer that the benefits are worth the dollar.

• 2 months later...
cheaper then in Europe. Here in slovenia is good quality protein powder from 50€ (65 US dollars). That is way more expensive then is US!!

Some places have unbranded protein which is very cheap. I got some today from a UK site it was £63.50 for 2x10lb bags (9.1kg in total) of unflavoured whey protein and delivery was £6.95 to Ireland (same price to Slovenia for postage). That is £70.45 or ~€82 or ~US$115. So it works out at €9 per kilo including delivery. You can buy sugar free flavouring separately to add which I prefer since some days I like it strong than others. I also mix unflavoured whey with oats and cold milk. I also put oats, egg, milk & whey in a blender to make pancakes.

I also have a discount code for 5% off your first order, I will not post the site name unless a mod/admin gives permission, since I have a low post count I do not want to appear to be spamming!

You wont get inough EPA/DHA.

This. On top of which, you will have no choice but to contend with mercury in your system.

After going to Robb Wolf's nutrition cert 2 days ago and talking to Ido at the gymnastics seminar, I find fish oils to be the most important supplement, more than protein powder.

In Hawaii milk is five bucks a gallon. :shock: I think I'm gonna buy some protien powder, my coach said I need to build up some more muscles. What protien is good and comes with a lot?

proteinfactory has simple whey concentrate for 20 bucks for 5 pounds. with shipping to Ca it was around 35 or 45 but that could have been with an extra 5 pounds and shipping would have totalled it to be around 50ish, like 5 extra bucks.

you can get other blends with casinates and this and that, but I just want simple whey vanilla. i don't have lactose problems and i'm cheap err broke.

you can get other blends with casinates and this and that,

The casein ones are slow release protein, many people will take them at night so the body has nutrition during sleep. The whey is faster acting and taking after or during workouts. However if you simply mix whey with milk it slows absorption and mimics the effect of casein. For this reason many recommend against mixing milk with your post workout shakes.

So instead of getting 2 small tubs you can get one bigger one and save due to bulk discounts. Also casein protein is usually about twice the price of whey.

Also many people will buy special post workout shakes, these are usually 2 parts simple carbs and 1 part whey. These are expensive and again you could just buy whey and make your own. The carbs are usually just glucose/dextrose, I can get this in my supermarket, it is in the baking or babyfood section. Some people pay huge amounts for carbs, from a pharmacy/drug store, or buying online and paying shipping costs. Also pre mixed carb/whey tubs cost a lot more due to shipping, storage, lower turnover so higher margins etc. Most of the time instead of using powdered simple carbs I just eat high sugar low fat cakes.

Yep, most caseinates are expensive.

I didn't know about mixing whey with milk. I have often done so, but sometimes I mix whey with juice.

Milk should contain casein anyways besides whey though it just requires being broken down to do so.

I don't know about anyone else but milk has made me fat more than anything. Robb explained that there was an insulin reaction similar to refined carbs (?) One thing is for sure, milk makes you grow... just might not be vertically.

Edward Smith

Yeah Milk is crap. I mean for putting on mass it has its uses (if you can't afford heaps of good food). But health wise its crap! It has some protein (not that much). It has a high ratio saturated fats, and I'm not a saturated fat hatter, which combined with the big insulin spike it causes is a bad bad thing. So you've got a liquid meal, with some protein but the good effects of that (insulin sensitivity) are canceled out by that fact plus it has a high amount of saturated fats which don't blunt the insulin spike and also decrease insulin sensitivity. As well as the insulin spike decreasing insulin sensitivity.

Them's fighting words, gents. :x

However, you're probably right. Many people seem to have a lot of different reactions to milk.

2% milk is probably what I should be drinking instead of whole. I'll worry about it when I actually worry about cutting. There will eventually have to be a time when I try something like CKD or AD or a tweaked carb light Zone. 2% is also more Zone than whole if I remember the ratios.

Big glass of milk being 16-20oz of milk is about 25-30g of carbs. Nothing I'm going to worry about, really. Without milk, I'd never get enuff protein anyways because of $$$ and how easy it is to consume ( decent for hydration at about 90% fluid ).

Actually, when I saw Robb he said "every time you eat/drink non-fat or low-fat products, a demon slices off an angels wings" and "half and half is half wrong... just drink full whipping cream!"

I am not claiming to be an authority on the subject though, I am just repeating what I heard. Again, from what I have seen, it was dairy that was stunting my fat loss though.

I heard BIll Kazmeir was drinking a gallon a day back when he trained and he maintained a pretty low body fat.

Most of the low fat milk I see at the store seems to have non fat powdered milk to sweeten it up. One of the reasons I don't drink lowfat milk.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

If I get off my ass and clear my schedule and add in the 2-3 hours of skill work per day, I don't think I'm gonna worry about any fat gain however due to drinking milk. However, when just tacking in 4-5 workouts a week at 90m each, I could see it being an issue.

• 1 month later...

sorry to dig this thread out guys, i just like to ask if you guys take protein shake after every session? I hope to increase my strength as well as mass at the same time.

sorry to dig this thread out guys, i just like to ask if you guys take protein shake after every session? I hope to increase my strength as well as mass at the same time.

Yes.

Strength and mass is more about training, with good supplementing and good diet you can gain even more, then just from training.

cool that's great. Btw I just got myself the rings, I'll like to know if I can do rings training everyday or should I do it alt days. Sorry I know it's not the right place and thanks. :)

It isn't really on topic but you can train on rings everyday. You will figure what your body can and cannot do currently really fast.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.