Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Calf Cramp from doing All the Pointy Toe Stuff

John Cunningham

John Cunningham

I seem to be susceptible to calf cramp when pointing my toes during GST workouts. It happens all the time now even when pushing my shoes/trainers off my feet.  I have also had 3 calf strains in the right leg and 2 in the left leg over the last year so i feel I am vulnerable to to this. 

I can run/jog ok, but I am on the way back from a major back problem which restricted my running abilities for about 6 months until about 3 months ago.

Apart from stretching and general strengthening, toes raises and the like, has anyone got any advice or experience they can offer.

Thanks.

Daniel Burnham

No suggestion. Do toe point stretches so it doesn't require so much force to keep the pointed. Other than that just get used to them. They eventually go away.

Alessandro Mainente

You have extremely tight shinbone muscles. simple agonist inibition. your body try to elongate more the shinbone muscles by squeezing the opposite (the calves).

Here's an example of anti-cramp stuff that synchronized swimmers use.  I'm not sure if there is a specific portion that is the key but put together it seems to be effective, and makes for better toe points in the long run.

General

• Ankle circles, stand on one leg with good balance/posture and *only move foot of raised leg not knee or hip.
  • Moving toes with, against, or independent from motion of ankle. (toes like a parrot, a squid, Mr Burns etc)
  • Side chases (shuffle to side) and frog jumps (squat like a frog then jump) transitioning from flat foot to pointed
  • Walking leg raises focusing on 1 lift leg (with point) 2 touch point to floor then 3 step

ROM

• Stretching toe points (tuck toes under then apply body weight, make sure not to sickle foot).  The gold standard is to be able to balance full body weight on one foot, but beginners could start seated on a chair.
  • Stretching calf, hamstring and posterior of leg
  • Alternate above two several times
  • Some swimmers seem to like giving themselves a foot massage at this point, I'm not really convinced.  Some grab their foot and move it in circles like they want to rip it off, also doesn't convince me

Strength

• Sit straight, legs extended out front, raise heels off floor by extending knees to maximum, flex and point toes.  Make it more interesting by putting a "don't touch" target under heels or a "must touch" target under toes
  • Lie on back with just the tips of the toes touching a chair, raise hips off ground by pushing down on chair with toes
  • Heel raises (calf presses?) concentrating on getting into as full a point as possible, usually done on one foot with the other leg extended.

During activity

• Drink water, eat a banana or a tomato or a glass of milk if it makes sense in your diet.  Don't let youself get dehydrated or drink too much caffeine
  • Every cramp is a celebration because it means you are pointing your toes better than before
  • If its small relax the other muscles in your leg and look at how funny it is while you wait to see if it burns itself out
  • If its big stretch it out, try to make the foot flexing muscles contribute to the stretch
  • Upvote 5

• Every cramp is a celebration because it means you are [doing X with more ROM] than before

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

Everyone see that?

Okay?

Good.

Please continue :)

• Upvote 3

Cramps can be unnerving because it seems like your body is having a wild negative reaction and is doing stuff without your consent.  At least with the little ones taking away the fear seems to make the situation much better.  I