Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finally starting to work out consistently

Shady_Jester

Hello guys!

I think I've introduced myself for about 10 times till now, but for those of you who haven't read my background, here it comes.

I'm a 16 yo, around 6' 1" and around 166 lbs (about 15% bodyfat). I was very very overweight before (200+ lbs).

Here are my pictures :

Before (March 2013) :

http://imgur.com/IJASU4L

After (about a month ago) :

http://imgur.com/amaFCFZ

http://imgur.com/b0D5BPq

http://imgur.com/gcd5iq9

http://imgur.com/10iPCuO

http://imgur.com/7qLU6HG

http://imgur.com/hCPKZkO

I've just ran for 3 months, did Insanity for three weeks, then got hoarse and since I was going on a trip, I decided to stop traning for a month. When I got back, I did running (45 mins.) + bodyweight for 1.5 months, and I've seen some improvements in my muscle definition (and my waist got smaller).

Anyhow, I just want to say that then (begging of September) I discovered Foundation One. It was not long ago until I decided to follow it, and I also got my hands on the Handstand One. Just to say, those are great programs.

Anyhow, for the last 2.5 months I wasn't consistent with my exercise. I gained some strength, for sure (in September I couldn't do a pullup, now I can do 3 of them, yesterday I did 4).

I was sloppy. One week I would exercise 3 times, one week 1 time, one week 2 times... I also wanted to run 6 days (so on my workout days and on 2 of my rest days). On workout days I would be farltek running (30 mins) and on rest days I would be just jogging (45 mins).

Anyways, I think it's reasonable for someone who didn't do a thing for 16 years, that after 5 months of exercise (and only with 1 months break in between) to kinda fall of the wagon and not be consistent with his exercise. I gained strength, but I could have gaind a hell lot more with this workout program (which led me from 0 to 4 pullups in 2 months!). I'm starting my training and eating regimen next week. Now, you may think I will be left burnt-off, but I won't, since I quit drinking 3 L of soda every day and started running, so I think I got some serious willpower and discipline, so I just have to start training again. If I feel like I'm going to fall of the wagon, I'll either reduce my training (cut back on running) or if I feel like I'm craving food, I'll have that one extra cookie for the lunch.

So, I've got my training in check. I'll do F1 and H1 (actually, I'm gonna do all the elements from H1, except strength element - so I'll do every single element, but replace my strength element with wall handstand (stomach facing the wall)). I will do this because I have trouble getting into the tripod position.

So, the norm is going to be : F1 4 days a week, H1 2 days a week and running 6 days a week. No more, no less, I need this. Need to get back on track. And since I want to be a fast runner, I need my running.

Regarding my nutrition, I'm reading "Guide to Flexible Dieting" by Lyle McDonald (haven't finished it yet) and I think that's what I'm going to stick to. I'll calculate my macros and try to get a rough estimate of what to eat to hit that macros (like for 150 g of protein (which I would need), I would need to eat meat, fish, maybe some eggs from time to time, drink milk etc.). So, that's regarding my nutrition. I'm going to eat nutrient-dense foods, and I'm going to "sneak in" a meal from time to time. Till this point I didn't regulate my diet. But, I think I should just eat a lot more veggies (I eat almost none), maybe cut out some bread (like if I eat 3 slices, then 2) and eat more meat and fruit. That way, I don't have to stress about how much protein, carbs and fat I'm eating, but till I make healthy eating a habit, I want to know roughly how can I achieve this macros. If some "junk" food slips, it's OK, as long as I don't eat a whole bunch of it.

So, that's it. So I am stronger than ever (can do 4 pullups, yay!). Time to get on the wagon again and build some muscle.

I have just 3 questions. First of all, should I eat for a maintance? I want to increase size of my muscles, but also my definition (strength will accompany). I heard (altough it may seem a bit stupid to ask this question if I've not read the entire Lyle's book yet) that if you're at 15% bodyfat (like I was told I am), then I should do "body recomposition". So essentially, I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. Again, I'm going to read the book (maybe it answers my question), but I wanted to ask you guys.

Second question is, could I substitude H1 strength element with wall handstand (and eventually progress to freestanding handstand)?

And lastly, how long does it take for me to notice some changes (aesthetics wise)? I want to see some improvements in bulk, size and definition of my mucles. I just want to have bigger traps and bigger and more defined hands. If I had to choose my ideal looks, I would say it's Daniel Craig.

So, I've got my goals set (my goals are in terms of strength; not aesthetics), but I just want to know what's a reasonable time frame for noticeable changes (my guess is 3 months), so that I don't develop unrealistic expectations.

Thanks for reading this post and hopefully you will respond!

Jake Lawrance

You're not on the wrong forum ^^

H1 stuff? I'd ask a GB athlete because I tried it but I simply preferred my own style (no offence, just got too much to follow for now). 

Muscle mass and definition? My personal experience is really basic words is eat normally but supplement with some protein throughout the day, I've gained 2-3kg in the past month or two? I don't even focus on hypertrophy. 

To get to Daniel Craig's level with pure strength training and running 6 times a week would be near impossible. High volume or aerobic exercise simply doesn't work with hypertrophy, it's like a vacuum and dust, the dust never gets bigger. <-- Had to come up with something?  :ph34r:

If you want noticeable changes, do progress shots, I didn't realize how much larger my shoulders, legs and hands had gotten from dead lifts and squats till I saw old photos of me and photos of me from a recent ball.

Jake Lawrance
Connor Davies

If I had to choose my ideal looks, I would say it's Daniel Craig.

Stop comparing yourself to other people.  You are you, and they are them.  When you compare yourself to them you'll either feel superior or inferior, but neither really matters.  Go be your own precious and unique snowflake.

The only person you need to compare yourself to is you.  If you look better than you did, you're doing well.  You'll end up looking like whatever you end up looking like, you're not going to be able to alter that much to try to fit a particular phenotype.  Daniel Craig has his own body, and your body will never be that body.  It will be your body, and may even be a better body.  But it doesn't matter if you have a better body than Daniel Craig, just that you have a better body than you did yesterday / a month ago / a year ago.

Also (and I'm aware this is going to somewhat undermine my previous point) Daniel Craig is hardly a work of art.  If you're going to dream, dream big.  Shoot for Frank Medrano or Konstantin Konstantinovs.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Bipocni. I'm not gonna compare myself to anyone but myself. I think I did a hell of a progress for 9 months, time to start progressing again.

Just wanted to say, I opened up a few similar topis (and I know that from your point of view it sounds like I'm abusing ths forum or trolling). It's not like that.

I just want to say that I had to have some things done (and rest a little bit) before I start exercising again. I'm starting next week. I described everything as detailed as possible.

Now I just ask you : Do I have to stick to my macros and do the principles in "Guide to Flexible Dieting" work if I stick to them (or, if you care, write a short article about nutrition; I read Perfect Workout Nutrition 2013, and I'm going to eat fruit after and during my workout (grapes - if I have them))? So, someone to tell me a concrete answer so that I know how to eat right.

Second, I just wanted to know could I do wall handstands instead of strength elements (so do all of the other; just when it's time to do strength element - I do wall handstand).

And lastly, how long till I see some results?

I know that I may seem arrogant, and you will probably tell me that it all depends on my nutrition and everything, but what I'm asking you here is (if you have the time), tell me what actually good nutrition is, how should a 16 year-old (almost 17) guy feed and is IIFYM good approach? Do I even need to know my macros and stick to them?

I know that I asked a question like this in a few topics, but no one gave me 100% solid information regarding nutrition. Everyone says something else (or they don't give some concrete information) and I'm getting confused. Everyone defines eating "good" differently, so I'm just confused and don't know what to do. So please, if it's not too hard for you to answer these questions (but with concrete answers) I would be thankful.

I know that I'm missing the most improtant element (my training), but I'm really going to start again.

Again, I apologize if you think I'm arrogant, lazy-ass guy who doesn't want to do anything. It's just that I got a lot of different answers (people saying count/don't count calories, weigh your food) that I'm confused. Also, question regarding my training is also something I can't answer for myself and I asked about the results so that I can remain realistic.

Jester, the thing is, that your nutrition questions are largely academic if you are not training. Begin training seriously again, that takes care of 90% of your issues, the rest are just adjustments. Seriously. I and probably most people here began training and only started worrying about nutrition much later. Everything doesn't have to be perfect at the moment you begin. Start training, see how your body reacts, adjust accordingly, dial in, and so forth. Don't be an armchair trainee who knows everything, but can't actually do anything.

Get your priorities straight. Train, and don't make excuses about next week. Got a cold, you can still train. Elbow aches? Train other limbs / core. Stop posting, start training, ffs. Next time we want to hear what you have been doing, not what you're planning to do.

Have fun! :-)

• Upvote 3

Im not judging your attitude or personality at all.

I am 100% happy to help and I will be your most strident supporter the moment you get started. Happy to share anything i can that will help.

I follow the perfect nutrition thread guidelines. To the best of my knowledge so do many (most?) of the top performers who hang out here. Read and decide whether it's for you, ask questions in the appropriate places please-- there are threads for this. Asking people to put articles together for you is a seriously long shot if they're not sure you're ever going to use the info they spent time writing.

Asking for help is not trolling or abuse and Im not scolding you for that :)

My diet is as mentioned. Workout nutrition plus vegetables, fruit and broadly paleo style plus cheese, wine and treats. I am nobody's cover model but I am trim and happy with my looks. I'm slowly gaining and leaning almost in spite of myself, because of the way I train.

You can totally do wall HS instead of H1 strength elements ( all specific questions on products in the appropriate private forums please). However, you have then wasted your money buying the course. Wall HS is a good drill but doesn't cover everything. The complete program comes pretty clrose. Do yourself a favour and follow it; if you have access why would you waste the resource?

You will see results when you have put in some consistent time. How much? No one knows. If you don't train till next week, then you wasted a week of potentially getting results. I see a little often, and really notice it each four week block. You may vary; Id guess a little faster as Im in my late 20s and I am required to sit working n the computer during the day.

Jennifer Rodriguez

This is why I suggested that you do your own research.   If you do not take the time to learn it yourself, you will always be waiting for someone to tell you what to do.  

In terms of diet there are general principles which apply to everyone.   Michael Pollan's famous haiku is a great example of this:   Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants.  

The rest is tweaking.    Have you read Joshua's thread about nutrition?   Read that first and then this thread.    In the end you will have to do what works for you and you won't know if it does or not until you try it.   Keep educating yourself by reading.   All of this will take time.

I know that I asked a question like this in a few topics, but no one gave me 100% solid information regarding nutrition. Everyone says something else (or they don't give some concrete information) and I'm getting confused.

Yea guys! All this is is just on paper. Time to get serious now and start my program.

I'll read Lyle's book (since I started it), try to eat more veggies and meat and not worry about other stuff. As you said, I probably know more info than a lot of other guys out there and I have the best program that I can have, now it's just about time I put it to use.

I thank all of you patient, kind and noble forum contributors. You really encouraged me. Time to start the change again.

Start a topic in the Handstand forum if you want advice on training it please.

I've edited my above post to be a little more informative.

• Upvote 1

Marios Roussos

You're suffering from paralysis by analysis. Stop overthinking things and start training. Coach has said more than once that his athletes who are about your age don't worry about their nutrition at all. F1 and cardio two to three times per week should be enough to get you started. Don't worry about what type of cardio; steady state, HIIT, sprint intervals, anything you want... Just get moving. 

Once you've stuck with this for 6 months or more, if you're not happy with your progress you can start looking at tweaking nutrition. 

You're never going to get consistent answers with respect to nutrition here or anywhere else. There's no right answer because the science is imperfect and difficult to do. What you've received are general guidelines based on somewhat informed opinion and experience and you should take them as such. 

You should also probably stop posting the same thing every time you fall off the wagon though, as there is a certain fatigue that sets in with board members. If you don't follow through again, don't beat yourself up over it, and just start where you left off. No need to get more input from the board.  You've gotten solid advice already, get to it and get back to us once you've stuck to it for 6 months or more. 

Finally, about the looks. You won't get an instantaneous body transformation. We're talking at least a year but most likely two years of consistent work before you can expect to look different. It sucks, I know, but it gives you all the more reason to get started now. Think of how far ahead you'll be by the time you're an old man at 18 years of age. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

How long until you see results?  Results come fast, they come slow, they don't really matter.  As long as your numbers are going up each week, you're getting there.  It's not like you're going to stop in a month if you get the body you want, is it?  You'll still need to maintain it.  Stop thinking in terms of looks, and start thinking in terms of cool things you either can do or want to do.  I'd much rather have an iron cross than a six pack, but I'm pretty sure I'll still have one when I get there.

IIFYM is pretty good, so is carb cycling.  The thing about healthy eating is, you know what healthy eating is.  Seriously, it's so obvious.  The problem with trying to eat healthy is actually eating healthy, not just knowing about it.  Fine tuning things this way or that way is only the last 10%.  As long as you're eating healthy, you're going to be getting good results.  They might not be the best damn possible results but they'll be great results all the same.

Don't mess around with the H1 formula.  If you have trouble getting into position, that means you have identified a weak spot.  Great!  Now you can fix it and become even more awesome.  I love finding things I can't do, because I quickly learn how to do them, and then I can do them.  That makes me better than I was last week, rather than the guy who avoids dealing with his weaknesses until they become real problems.  Tendonitis and mobility issues anyone?

Finally, you don't need to post a full introduction every time you ask a question.  That's what having a profile is for.  We even have a gallery section, if you want to put all your body comp pictures in there.  Besides, I'm pretty sure we all know who you are by now :lol:

Just ask the question.  Get the answer.  Do the training.  Become awesome.

Next time I see you, we better be in the F1 forum discussing the technical details of a progression.  That's when the real fun starts.

Hi Op. I'd just personally recommend the 20 pullup challenge - http://twentypullups.com

All you need is a pullup bar for it. I got interested in bodyweight training a year or so ago, and I found that I was able to make a lot of gains both hypertrophy-wise and strength-wise by applying that program. I did have to repeat some of the cycles, but over the course of about 3 months, I went from 0 pullups to about 16. I also started by doing rows and rows with my feet on a chair to build up strength when I was able to do less than 5 or so, in addition to those pullups, and used the "perfect pullup" to do that. After a while, I started going through the program with weighted pullups (was trying to work my way up to doing them with an added 50 lbs), but then I started doing front lever progressions and front lever rows and made even more progress with that.

I think its important to note as others have mentioned that this isn't something that you should focus on in the short term, so long as you continue to make gains. Its something that I will probably continue with for the term of at least a few years, and I could probably see myself continuing for life. It takes longer to see gains compared with body building but the results are superior in a lot of aspects, comparatively.