Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your highlight of 2013?

It can be either training related or life in general, share it with us!

Mine would have to be meeting everyone I have in the past year, both in school and outside. Friends make everything better it seems, although it would be nice to have one that does Foundation and Handstand!

Jake Lawrance

This one had me dancing round the room like a maniac. 

So basically... Halfway through A2 levels and waiting for a response from the universities I had applied for. I received offers for Sports coaching, Sports Performance and Sports Performance (FdSc). Received a rejection for Sports therapy and rehab because my grades were completely lousy. Then maybe 1 or 2 months after finding these out, I receive a letter from my favorite choice of Sports Fitness and Physical Activity which in basic read 'Due to your interests and experiences displayed within your UCAS statement, we believe that your strengths will come in handy when taking this course, and therefore we have reduced the entry requirement of 320 UCAS points down to 220 UCAS points just for you'. 

I went bonkers. One of my subjects gets 210 UCAS points for achieving a double Distinction* and my tutors have already told me that some of assignments are already at a level 1 university standard. 

Clearly this university actually read my statement... I sound super scabby for saying this, but grades simply don't measure passion or knowledge about a specific subject, hence I was rejected from Sports Therapy... But then again, my grades are already whizzing up as I realized they cant interview every applicant. So worth the blood, sweat and tears.

Sorry I always find myself being big headed about this  ;)

• Upvote 6

Tristan Curtis

• Getting married to an amazing woman. She is pretty much the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Moving to my city's main tourist beachside suburb.

Losing 45 pounds. After 10 years of frustration.

Touching my toes for the first time ever. After many years of not being able to reach past my knees.

Watching my partner take out three figure model state titles in her first season.

• Upvote 8

Joakim Andersson

Got married, wife is pregnant, quit drinking, got a one arm pull up, lost it to injury and understood the importance of the F-series. :P

• Upvote 5

Klemen Bobnar

Gaining the courage to move in the direction I want to.

2014: Having the persistence to stay on the same path.

• Upvote 6

Damn guys, you did some good work this year :)

Decided to be serious about GST and gbodies

Trained with Coach and the rest

Toured Canada/US/Europe whilst training with leaders in their field

Set up a shot at a dream job in 2014. More to come on this I hope

Sister buying a new house and I may be an uncle soon

:)

• Upvote 3

Michaël Van den Berg

Getting married (and my wife is now pregnant, wooot! :)), starting my studies to become a certified osteopath (I'm 39 now so will be approx. 45 when I finish), purchasing Foundation 1-4 and H1... life in 2013 was good and 2014 promises to be even better :)

• Upvote 5

Connor Davies

My espresso making abilities got better, and thus everything else was improved thereafter.

For me the highlight of 2014 may be getting an espresso machine...

1.got full back lever

2.1min handstand hold

3.straddle planche

4.10 none kippin muscle ups

5.pistol squats

6.pull overs

I masterd so many skills this year!!! im proud of myself

My 20 year old daughter got to move and study in Australia

My son took his drivers license

Turned 50 and still feel like 25!

Spent an amazing 10 days with my son in Arizona with Coach and Allan, Jeff Heath and eat the best food ever!

Until May training was going super well Straddle PL and HBP achieved. Then (my age?) my knee and shoulder started to bother me and is still preventing me to train certain moves. On the positive side I started F1-F2 and filled up some weak links and mastered F1.

• Upvote 5

Samuli Jyrkinen

I never was much of a reader, mostly because my parents never read anything beside newspaper/magazines.

•  Created a goal to read as much as I can and during 2013 managed to read about 40 books from many interesting fields ranging from psychology to strength training. 
  • Started to realize what is education and what is real education. Becoming passionate about learning.
  • I don't need to set reading goals anymore because I find real joy in learning/reading/educating myself

Training related

• Foundation was big for me, I was already pretty strong but I found out about my weak points: SASS, abdominal strength, mobility in general
  • Not a bad year: good progress everywhere and was consistent with training thorough the year
  • Becoming more and more humble 
  • Upvote 6

Connor Davies

Started to realize what is education and what is real education. Becoming passionate about learning.

Too many people are skimming over the covers of the books, without actually taking the time to open them up and read them.  Where, oh where, has our capacity for contemplation gone?

#2cents.

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

personal life:

1. my relationship with my brother, my mom and my gf have all improved.
2. met some pretty sweet and supportive people in this community
3. got pointed in the right direction in what to study in relation to: basic biology and how it translates  to nutrition, basic physics, basic anatomy & how to listen to my body while im training. 

4.started my own business and have learned that all we have is what we do and what we focus on. nothing more, nothing less.

5. learned to communicate myself more completely. 

6.have gone hungry and have felt the need that a life with luxury is not worth living, if you aren't helping other people achieve a basic way of life or have mastered a basic way of life yourself.

training:
1. a training methodology that has taught me that the only reason i do not have what i have is because i have not focused and been disciplined enough to know why it is that i want to do what I'm doing. the reason that I've been burnt out is because i never had that focus, not because I'm worth less as a human being(in terms of genetics, talent.)

2.better mobility. no more neck spasms. no more neck related pains. no more shoulder pains(unless it's the one's I've created through training with incorrect form. :P )

3. restarted my stance training. hips and knees agree with me on this. 

• Upvote 10

Scott Pelton-Stroud

I had trouble not liking every post on this thread. Then I discovered that there is a "positive vote quota".

Dear forum parameters, you can't stop my positivity.

After doing poorly in classes last fall, I was forced to take academic leave from college, leaving behind my friends, girlfriend, and the freshman I was supposed to lead (and my co-leader). This was terribly hard to accept. But it led me to the most eye-opening year of my (short) life.

-Spent time with my family, started family therapy, and began to open up feelings and issues we've all locked away for over a decade.

-Spent a couple months working with amazing people for a local chapter of Habitat for Humanity

-Spent a couple months working on a farm in Japan, doing what I hate and suck at. (I did it by choice and I'm glad I did)

-Read "Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It" and "The Power of Now"

-Took classes in Japan for another couple months, worked hard, and did very well

-Accepted that this new path chosen for me, away from school, was an amazing opportunity

-Discovered that I wish to become a Mechanical Engineer (first real idea of a career direction)

-Spent 5 more months at home (the longest I've gotten in 8 years) with my parents, brothers, sister-in-law, and very young nephews and niece

-Not only held onto, but strengthened my relationship with an amazing, strong, and unbelievably supportive woman.

-And most importantly I've begun to understand how to respect oneself, to take responsibility, to work hard, to be fully present, and to live.

It's been an absolutely unforgettable year. Congratulations to you all, as well, and let us all seize every moment we get in 2014.

• Upvote 6

Tristan Curtis

-Read "Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It"

Such an amazing book. Most of what I managed to achieve this year owes to the simple daily exercises.
  • Upvote 2

No particular highlights, but lots of personal successes and good times with friends and family!

Read a lot, learned a lot, found huge enjoyment in science and maths, passed academic and music exams, meeting new people, learning to be more open - actually talking about problems than hoping they'll go away. Most importantly, I've got great friends and parents who have completely supported me throughout the whole year. 

Foundation has taught me a lot, as have all my other teachers. What things haven't gone well I've learned from and I'm looking forward to another great year! Didn't make much progress in foundation due to setback with injury, but I know that'll be different next year!

• Upvote 2

My new baby boy is my my highlight. 4 weeks old this past friday. Threw my training for a tailspin for a couple weeks but completely worth it.

• Upvote 4

Joakim Andersson

My new baby boy is my my highlight. 4 weeks old this past friday. Threw my training for a tailspin for a couple weeks but completely worth it.

How do you sleep these days? I'm worried about March myself. :)

The first two weeks were a little ruff but it settles into a schedule. It's impossible to sleep 8 straight hours. Usually I sleep 5-6 hours then take an afternoon nap. Not ideal for training but you'll make due.

• Upvote 1