Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rings for Martial Arts

VTKF

Hello everyone.

Say first that I am Spanish and to apologize if my English is not very good.

I practice martial arts, specifically Ving Tsun, and I have always been fascinated gymnastic exercises, and even rings.

Now I have the opportunity to ejercitarme with rings. I've looked a lot about training with gymnastics rings oriented and imagine the strength it takes to do these exercises, but I wonder if they are functional for the Martial Arts or rings would be better done with other exercise. For example, to make a Iron cross might be useful for me or would it be better to focus on MU, Dips, Pullups, Pushups ...?

Thanks.

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

Buenas VTKF, te contesto en español y luego en inglés :D

El entrenamiento GST (Gymnastics Strenght Training) es un super complemento para cualquier deporte o disciplina que se practique, ya que engloba a todo el cuerpo en muchos aspectos y rangos, es de lo más completo que hay tanto en movilidad como en fuerza. Es decir, que no tengas duda alguna de que te va a servir para tus propósitos con el Wing Chun, o cualquier deporte para el caso.

El "pero" es que las anillas en sí es un elemento al que hay que aproximarse con mucha, mucha cautela, pues es muy fácil empezar a entrenar elementos fuera de nuestras actuales posibilidades y acabar lesionado. Por ejemplo, el caso que citas, entrenas el Iron Cross es una tarea que lleva años de progresión: es como querer empezar a levantar 300kg en press de banca sin aún levantar 100. Hacer Iron Cross o llegar a hacerlo es algo específico de gimnasia, pero todo lo que se requiere físicamente para hacerlo te ayudará en cualquier cosa que hagas. Mi recomendación, es que si te fascina el entrenamiento de gimnasia te hagas con F1 y HS1, es lo MEJOR que te puedes encontrar por Internet para entrenar asi; y esto es sólo el principio, Coach nos tiene preparadas muchas cosas más.

Sobre qué hacer con anillas, cosas básicas. german hangs, skin the cat, inverted hang, inverted pike, PU, pullups, MU, etc. Cosas muy suavitas. 

Bienvenido a bordo. Somos poquitos españoles :)

--

GST is a enormous plus to any sport or discipline that anyone practice, encompass the whole body in so many aspects, planes of movement, and is the most complete both mobility and strenght wise. I mean, don't have a doubt that it will vbe good for your Wing Chun pourposes or any sport.

The "but" is that specially rings is an element that you've to get close with a lot of prudence, because it's so easy begin to do strenght elements that are far off your actual level of strenght and get injured in the way. For example, the case you mentioned, Iron Cross, is a element that takes years of dedication and correct progression; it is like want to bench press 300kg without have lifted 100kg before. Doing and Iron Cross is a specific gymnastics exercise, but everthing you need physically to do it it'll help you in any endeavor you pursue, of course if you one day are capable of do it. My advice is if youre interested in GST get F1+HS1 and start from the very beginning: the most safe, intelligent and progressive approach nowadays on Internet. And this is just the beggining, Coach has so many surprises to us.

About the thing you can do with rings right now: german hangs gradually, skin the cat, inverted pike, inverted hang, PU, Dips, Pullups, rows, etc. Take care.

Welcome abord, we're not much spanish people there ;)

• Upvote 1

Hola Adriano Flo,

Lo primero gracias por responder. Me alegro de encontrarme con otro español por aquí, y más si voy a empezar con el entrenamiento con anillas.

Por supuesto que no tengo pensado en intentar hacer un Iron Cross ni hoy, ni mañana, ni seguramente dentro de un año. Mi pregunta, que ya me la has respondido, iba más dirijida hacia si podía ser o no funcional los ejercicios más avanzados para mis propósitos.

He leído en este foro y en algún otro sobre las maravillas del F1 y HS1. Ahora mismo como soy uno de los muchos afectados por la crisis que hay en España no tengo intención de comprarlos (mi economía no da para este tipo de gastos), pero sí que es una cosa que la tengo muy presente.

De momento entrenaré cosas suaves, como dices. Tengo que ver cómo me planifico una rutina para los tre días que podré usar las anillas, ya que no tengo mucha idea de eso.

Gracias de nuevo.

For martial art, bigger muscles doesn't mean you will punch and or kick harder. Martial art punches and kicks are closer to a whip than a bulldozer.

Of all the things in gymnastics that will help you with your martial arts training it would be the static strength positions and developing your back muscles, abdominals, and legs.

Speed is more important than size.

Kasper Stangerup

Speed is more important than size

That certainly depends on the MA. There's a reason that most non-artistic tournaments use weight classes.

To really Ving Tsun (which is what I practice), a large muscle size would not be beneficial. What I am seeking is more strength, endurance and speed, as indicated GoldenEagle.

Are gymnastics bring me all this? Adriano recommended I start with F1 and HS1: start with this will have a positive impact on my goals?

Connor Davies

To really Ving Tsun (which is what I practice), a large muscle size would not be beneficial. What I am seeking is more strength, endurance and speed, as indicated GoldenEagle.

Are gymnastics bring me all this? Adriano recommended I start with F1 and HS1: start with this will have a positive impact on my goals?

To some extent larger muscles would be beneficial.  They create padding, and reduce the chance for injury.

As for F1 and H1 being in line with your goals: it depends how far you want to go with this.  They are fantastic beginners programs, and will eventually lead on to more advanced series, which will teach you almost total body mastery.  I'm willing to bet the upcoming Movement series will be more in line with your goals, but a good mastery of the Foundation series and the Handstand series is necessary to get the most out of the Movement series.  (No idea when this will be released.)

You will develop a lot of strength, endurance and mobility as you progress through F1 and H1.  In my own experience, speed is almost always a product of strength, so it should help you with that goal as well.  Both programs involve a lot of joint preparation, as well as disadvantaged leverage positions.  These aspects should help keep you healthy as well as functionally powerful.

In short: I absolutely recommend F1+H1 as a good starting point.  Inevitably you will have to purchase further programs as you advance, but once you see the results for yourself, I don't think you'll have much of a problem with it.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Let's not forget Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Sambo, Savate, Pankration, and Tae Kwon do...

And a partridge in a pear treeeeee~~~