Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bigger does not mean flexible?

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

I received a lot of bad news from my coach and other elite gymnasts. they said that with certain body proportions you cannot reach certain skills.

probably is exactly those type of affirmations that stimulate me to become better. no matter how many years i need to master manna, but for sure is actually the bigger objective, more than crosses or planche. Only to say "i did it".

post-1151-0-10032200-1386755346_thumb.jp

post-1151-0-28371100-1386755369_thumb.jp

• Upvote 5

Looks like you're well on the way there. You sure have the flexibility. Stay away from injuries and I'm sure you'll be there before 2017 (the date you mentioned on another thread).

If I remember correctly you're finished with F2 for Manna, so I guess you can't wait for F3 to be released.  :D

• Upvote 1

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

I don't think so at all. I mean, if you're refering to Manna in particular, I don't know, but in flexibility terms, yes you can actually build an amazing flexibility it doesn't matter if your tall or bigger

It is just a matter of programing and practice practice practice. Increasing ROM week after week, and then BAM, more flexible. 

Harder? Maybe, but not imposible.

IMO the only time that bigger = less flexible is if you have a big beer belly and want to do a pike.

Legs longer than arms, or trunk long/short in proportion to your limbs might affect how far past your feet your fingertips can reach or how far apart your feet can spread in a split position, or how close your hands can slide towards your heels in a bridge, but all that is pretty irrelevant.  What normally matters is the amplitude of the angle of your ROM (Ie can you get down to a 1º angle in your pike, or past a 180º angle in your side split)

When it comes to larger muscles needing more stretching to get to the same place, I am not so sure.  Trained, healthy muscles seem to feel better when doing a stretch and perhaps permit one to relax deeper during each session (my observation, not research).  Of course a big strong person is going to need a big strong partner for partner stretches :)

I'd say that any coach that tells you that cannot do something instead of telling you that it's going to need a big investment of hard work and patience perhaps needs their memory tickled on the purpose/ethics of being a coach.

Best of luck on your Manna, I'm looking forward to seeing a post on here one day with you telling us all you achieved it.