Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Iron cross arm positioning

Bruce Dierl

I just started a bit of iron cross work (twice a week), working on assisted static holds and partial ranged cross pulls. With regards to arm positioning, does the bicep face downwards and the elbow joint upward?

I do not feel any pain when practising, just plenty of strain on the arms and shoulders in general.

I followed the progressions outlined in this thread for almost a 1 year:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/8084-preparing-the-elbows-and-biceps-for-iron-cross-training/

Alessandro Mainente

Probably if you can demonstrate the mastery of foundations RC journey you are ready to approach some serious SAS elements.

Daniel Burnham

There are two ways: biceps facing down and biceps facing forward.

True.  I think the shoulders rolled should be the consideration more than the turning of the hands.  This puts more pressure on the shoulders and pecs.  If you "lay back" into it it will be more trap dominant.

The rolling forward is what I have been fought because it seems to be easier to go to maltese and invert cross from this position.

However I, like coach mentions in that article think that straddle planche is a worthwhile endeavor before Iron cross.  It helps tremendously in elbow conditioning.  You should also be able to do straight arm 1/2 press as he mentions.  I personally tried to learn cross once before and was not ready for it.  I immediately stopped and worked on straddle planche.  This really helped me get the elbow prep I needed and was definitely the best choice.  Also As Alex stated, proficiency at rope climbs is a must.

For everyone reading this: We mention these warnings over and over because we don't want to see people hurt themselves.  This comes from personal and professional experience.  Doing Iron cross prematurely will hurt you please give the prep the attention it deserves.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I too am confused about the arm position.   When I use the Iron Cross trainers, I like to get into the cross after dong a maltese or maltese roll whatever you want to call it, it seem to put the my shoulders in right position, similar to starting from an RTO Support position and the shoulders seem to be fwd, rolled, and locked.  So having the shoulders fwd is key, however, I am not sure if I should actively move my forarms/biceps.  

I am also very confused about the false grip during the cross as well.  Not sure how you hold that.   I was thinking of experiementing with bands.  I tried using a box and having feet fwd on the box but it seems to puch my hands back and the position doesn't seem proper.  

Alessandro Mainente

Regards to the arm positioning i find only one position that comes pretty natural.

I've understood how is just impossible think to perform an iron cross without a perfect RTO support position.

If you want to lower down into a cross you have 2 ways:

1- people who usually do not have strong RTO support , have their palms facing the legs/hip with shoulders rolled forward to much and elbows pointing inward, when you go down from this position you will reach a elbows pointing down position. in my opinion in that position the stress is equally divided over all the biceps tendon. this is a partial preparation for the maltese since the weak point that must be conditioned first is the brachialis. as a second thing i would add that uncorrect support leads to rolled forward schoulder + elevation. this is a very bad position for both rotator cuff and long head bicep tendons.

2. the second way comes naturally from correct RTO position. i noticed only after a decent confidence with RTO position and other preparatory elements of the cross at the seminar. If your rings are turned out and your chest is opened (RTO does not mean that you ONLY have to turn out and only that) you will naturally move over a neutral IC position, the elbows will be pointing forward or little downward (it depends on you natural lever of external rotation, some people CAN turn more then other), the shoulders are not rolled forward (not too much) and they are depressed.

so i prefer to choose what comes natural after the correct preparation. no motivations to use different approach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Beautifully stated, Alex.

Isn't it interesting to note that once someone is properly prepared, many of these types of questions/issues just naturally fade away.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4