Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 day training compressed into 3

Shady_Jester

Hello guys,

to keep it simple, I've done only 2 sets on Tuesday, while I was supposed to do 5 (cause I was tired, but I did something anyway).

Now, since I tought to exercise 5 days a week, and I've got only 2 days left, can I (only on the weeks that I really really can't make it except the weekends) do full body on Sat and Sun?

So, for example exercise on Wed (do upper body) and over the weekend do two full-body sessions (so 5 days compressed into 3).

I'm 16 yo, around 6' 1", around 170 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

Keilani Gutierrez

it would be unwise to give you a specific course of action, if we dont know what you are doing on your routine :)

give us a bit of feedback along that vein, on the other hand we could also talk about how your recovery is because it also influences your daily performance.

Connor Davies

Sometimes if I miss a workout I'll mash my upper body and lower body workouts together.  I try not to make a habit out of it, because the quality of your work drops.

Tristan Curtis

If training for strength gain, you generally want to rest any given muscle/movement for 48 hours as an absolute minimum.

OK, thanks guys, I'm gonna be consistent from next week (and try to do 5 days a week).

I'm also going to try to run every day (or at least on the workout days). Sometimes it's gonna be HIIT (not sprinting, about 80% strength). I am not sure about running cause it's winter.

Anyways, I haven't been consistent the last two months, but I've been bragging about how I lost 30+ lbs and how I got myself more defined (with 6 weeks of bodyweight).

So just to ask you, how long will it take till I start to notice some results (I'm talking both minor and major).

So far as my nutrition is concerned, I can eat pretty much everything since I'm 16.

My stats :

Height : Around 6' 1"

Weight : Around 170 lbs

Bodyfat : Around 17%

Goal :

Height : Around 6' 1"

Weight : Around 180 lbs

Bodyfat : Around 12%

But anyways, I think I shouldn't care about the goals. I should just try to eat healthier (more meats and veggies; less sweets), be consistent with my exercise (not like last 2 mohts of exercising only 3 days a week or 1 - 2; but hey it's something) and my body is gonna produce it's own results.

I'm just wondering about how much time will it take to start seeing changes and how to get rid of cough (I'm coughing a bit now)?

Thanks!

Dude, I would reconsider changing your goals to something strength related, being able to do e.g. a front lever, 5x10 wide pullups, whatever gets you excited. Weight is really a poor indicator of athletic ability, but once you ARE strong, you will also look strong, unless of course you've gained fat in the meantime (unlikely, if you've been trading reasonably hard). Stop obsessing over before and after photos and stats, and get to work, it is the only thing that makes a difference.

Again, set yourself some strength goals, preferably both short and long term, so you can both get some immediate satisfaction, but also have a long term strategy for your workouts.

• Upvote 1

@Ravn OK, my goal would be to do a pullup (I can do a chinup, but not pullup), preferablly 10.

My long-term goal in strength would be : Human Flag (Side Lever), V-sit, Straddle Planche, Double Arm Lever, Pistol Squat and --- The Handstand.

As I said, I haven't been consistent for these last 2 months, but no going back to the past. Time to start being consistent again (like I was consistent with running for 3.5 months and bodyweight and running for 6 weeks = in total 5 months of consistency). Time to get back on track. Just have to check my cough out, think I have a sore throat.

Anyways, a huge relief is that I can eat pretty much everything (in moderation). And since I'm 16, I don't have to stress that much about nutrition. So, one plus.

@Bipocni Yea, but since I'm 16, I can grow taller. I think you grow till 21, so I still have some time.

Point taken. It's not about the goal, it's about the journey (and building character) and it's not about looking strong, it's about being strong.

Just to ask this, could I implement H1 with my F1 and should I do it one, two or three times a week (if I'm gonna be doing F1 5 days a week)?

I think that if I have the time, 5 days a week is the best. I'm also going to start exercising right after school (come home, eat something, then half hour later exercise and go running (if not too cold)) and just be over with it. Just have to cure my throat today.

Thanks guys!

Richard Hamilton

More is not not necessarily better. I think a few of us have tried to do more but done equally well on less work each week. It's highly individual and you'll only learn what your capable of recovering from with trial and error. If you want specifics on playing about with the programming start up a thread in the F1 or H1 forums :)

Jennifer Rodriguez

What I tell my kids is to be mindful of whether their daily diet has the nutrient density to first of all fuel natural growth towards adulthood and second to fuel their activity load.  I'm pretty sure this is what they hear:   wah wah wah.    It's easy to think because you are young that you can eat whatever you want, but everything you put in your mouth has consequences.    I'm not being prescriptive, I'm just saying that you should be mindful of nutrient density.

Anyways, a huge relief is that I can eat pretty much everything (in moderation). And since I'm 16, I don't have to stress that much about nutrition. So, one plus.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

It's best to get into good nutritional habits now, because you're setting up the patterns that will last for the rest of your life.  I always ate like crap, so I still struggle with it now.

Yes, you're young, so you should gain muscle very quickly. But, imagine how much quicker still your gains will come with proper nutrition.

I like your plan to exercise 5 days a week, straight after school.  It might not be quite as effective as finding your suitable working level, but it sets you up for a very good habit.  Eventually you won't even think about it, you'll just get home and do the thing.

It's up to you which days you do H1 on.  The wrist prep can be pretty gnarly if you go to hard, so tend towards less work.  If you do it on your lower body days, you'll have 4 exercises every day which is a good way to keep your workouts the same length in time.

• Upvote 2

Yea man. I have to make the habit of training + running afterwards.

I think I'm disciplined (ran every night for about 3.5 months + 6 weeks of bodyweight + running), so I just need to get back to it.

These 2 months I kinda rested from exercise, I mean I did some of exercise, but it was like 3 days a week or less. So time to get consistent again.

Regarding my nutrition, I'll try to eat healthier (more veggies, fruits and meat, less sweets). And I think that principle can apply, other principles are just some minor improvements.

Thanks guys! Hope I'll be consistent!

• Upvote 1

I just want to post an update :

Since it's cold outside (and I cough), I realised it's bad to run after I sweated on F1 (even if I change my shirt). So, what would you say about doing cardio on my off days? Now, I would exercise 4 days a week (F1), H1 2 days a week and run on off days.

I was thinking about 45 minutes of running on my off days. Now, I would do 6 to 8 cycles (so it means I run about 50% power, then run about 80% (not sprint), then recycle). So that I can have three good 45-minute long running sessions instead of running 30 mins every day (or just on workout days).

So, what's your take on this? I researched a little bit and it seems that cardio before weights (witch would suit me better, cause I would be all sweaty but I would exercise inside my house - where it's warm) depletes your strength. But, as I said, I fell like I'm just provoking the cough by running after my strength training.

So, what's your take on this? I really want to do cardio because I also want to be a good runner. So, if you think I should change my pants (along with my shirt - but that's a hell lot of laundry to wash), fell free to say it. I was thinking about doing some cycles (I explained them above) 3-4 days a week, but that's if I ran every day.

What do you think? I think that best solution for now (because I cough) is just to do F1. Then, if I get responses, I'll see what to do with my cardio. I want to be good at running (prefferably the best in my class, so it means running 400 m for less than 1:02 (I run 1:15 now) - but if that's not achiveable just say it), but I also want to build muscle.

So, if I could run every day, I would do the "cycles" (it's not HIIT cause it's not 100%) 3-4 days a week (on my strength training days). Other days I would normally run (jog). I would run every day for 30 minutes. But, if I run only on my off days, I was thinking of running for 45 minutes and all of the running would be cyclic, so I would do 6-8 "cycles" of 50% - 80% power.

I hope that you will clear things up for me!

Karri Kytömaa

Just run on your off days, it's no problem. If you want even more cardio, try some rope jumps or kettlebell work after F1.

Just run on your off days, it's no problem. If you want even more cardio, try some rope jumps or kettlebell work after F1.

So no running on my workout days? And should I do 45 minute runs with 6-8 cycles (as I described)?

Karri Kytömaa

Oh I didn't mean that, just understood you didn't wish to run on those days. Run whenever you wish, just monitor you keep recovering.

It's probably best to have at least one long steady state cardio session each weak, so something along one hour of easy jog and at least one intensive HIIT resembling session where you get repeatedly out of breath. But that's minor details, important thing is to move and enjoy it. If you want to be good at 400m, you must train it specifically.

So, let me give you my last update :

I'm gonna go ahead and exercise 4 days a week (not 5). I think it's optimal (cause it's 2:2 split). I did H1, but I have trouble getting into the tripod and I also have trouble with twisting squat (cossack squat iM).

Anyways, if you have any advice regarding these 2 elements please do tell.

I'm going to stick to my plan, wait for the cough to be completely gone, and when it is completely gone I'm going to do running (try to run every day) + workout 4 days a week. On my non-working days it's gonna be 45 minute run, while on my working days it's gonna be 30 minute run (2 normal - on leg day, 2 HIIT - 50% 2 mins 80% 1 min - on Mon and Thu).

Time to get back to work again, lose my hip fat and get some muscle.

I will report back in 3 months. Since no one told me in what time could I expect some visual and strength gains, I'm gonna assume that resaonable time is 3 months.

Thanks for the support!