Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The handstand is (also) a strength exercise after all...

Rachid Tahri

I think that I finally reached the point that the handstand is a real strength exercise for me, and am happy with it! Let me explain. 

When I was a beginner in the handstand, I could not comprehend that the handstand was (also) a strength exercise because I was reasonably strong to start with and I could hold a (crappy) handstand with the WRONG muscles without trouble. Now when focussing on wall handstands and freestanding handstand with the correct line I have strength problems in the RIGHT muscles:

I finally FEEL WEAK in the trap muscles AND I AM HAPPY with it, because now I (think I) understand what all the others are talking about (on this forum) when they say you have to feel it in the traps.

Especially when I engage PPT while trying to maintain open shoulders in the freestanding handstand, I get perfect balance but I cannot hold it more than 10 sec because I am weak!

This is the first time in my life that am happy with feeling weak in the right muscles! The handstand is full off surprises....How did the handstand surprise you guys?

• Upvote 3

I am feeling the same thing - Now I have trap activation, PPT, can look at my toes, and only a very small arch in the lower back which should be ironed out eventually. What surprised me the most was that when I achieved this line I had to learn how to balance all over again. The correct line reduced my HS to ~10-15 second holds, whereas in the banana handstand I was able to consistently hit ~60-90 seconds. Makes sense that coach prefers his athletes to first get the correct bodyline, then learn how to balance with it.

• Upvote 1

Same experience :D slowly getting more consistent with the tight form, but i feel i can zoom in on details now, details that i can feel and correct manually rather than making it one gross movement. I know the goal is to automate all of those, but the developing ability to make corrections with control is blowing.my mind at the moment

• Upvote 1

Well done, guys.  

Never forget that it was your unrelenting commitment to excellence which has allowed you to reach this higher stage in your training.  Far too many people fall by the wayside and cheat themselves when they decide to settle for "good enough".   

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 9