Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche progression question

jdlee

This probably has come up a couple times or more but I feel compelled to take about my personal situation.

I have been working on planche and front lever for about 9 months now. First three month I worked three times a week after my usual workouts. I tried to just get 60 seconds, so not really serious training. After about 4-5 months, I think I got 60 seconds of frog stand. For this time I mostly did weightlifting that wasn't entirely strength focused and occasional crossfit like workouts. Soon after I got 60 seconds of frog stand I started work on tucked planche on paralletes. About three months ago I bought the book and started really doing bodyweight training. This has been going fairly well considering the fact that I sort of worked according to Starting Strength for only about a month or two before working on bodyweight trainings. Also about three months ago was the time I realized that when I did tucked planche my arms were slightly bent, so since then I've been working on straight arm frog stand with locked elbows.

So my problem is...I can do frog stand for pretty long time (definitely longer than 60 sec). I can hold straight arm frog stand for a decent time but haven't actually timed it yet. A couple months ago with slightly bent arms I got 20 sec of tucked planche on paralletes. I felt pretty confident then but now I'm not quite sure. I'm now having awfully hard time just holding tucked planche on the ground or on paralletes. Whenever I do tucked planche my hips start to sag and my body forms Z shape. I know the feeling of having my hips same level as my shoulders because that's what I did when I clocked in 20 sec of tucked planche earlier. Tucked planche that I do now is definitely not the right form. Since working on getting my elbows completely locked I feel like I haven't made any progression on my planche.

Is this normal to take this long to get tucked planche? Is my progression ordinary? I just feel like I've been working on planche for so long but it just isn't where I hope it to be at.

side note. I started working on back lever quite recently. Basically since the time I got the book. I believe I have decent pushing strength. I can do solid flat tuck BL and flat tuck FL for more than 10 sec so I'm getting better on some things.

straight arms make things that much harder. like the difference between a cross with "soft" elbows that are slightly bent and straight elbows. same with all the levers or doing presses.