Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Squatting barefoot or with Olympic

Michael Morello

Michael Morello

Hi Everyone.

I have a complex question that I believe is a individually different from person to person.

i want to become more explosive in my hips and glutes and quads. So I know i need to practice the snatch, clean and jerk, and squat. People squat barefoot, people squat with flat shoes and people squat with Olympic weightlifting shoes.

Which do you guys choose to do? and which would make me the most explosive? 

I'm going to probably be the odd person out and say that I do all of these barefoot. Some say Olympic lifting barefoot is dangerous. Everything adapts though (not just muscles) and I haven't had a problem with it yet so we will see.

The shoes olympic lifters wear give them a slight elevation and a boost, but I don't think it will make that much of a difference in your gains.

Murray Truelove

I work out at home so I'm barefoot - I prefer this so would use minimalist shoes if I trained somewhere that need shoes. Coaches athletes work out barefoot if that's an influence on you..

I'm not sure if it would make any difference to your explosive performance. I can't remember the details but with Olympic lifting the shoes help but they're lifting an awful lot of weight so not sure how applicable it is to ordinary performance. 

I think this will depend on your ankle mobility. I would suggest paying attention to form and wear or not whatever seems to give you the best form.

• Upvote 1

I just saw this video last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jgBMwkbx9A

I do everything barefoot, because I workout at home and it's a convenience thing.  The only thing I wouldn't do barefoot would be cleans, because you may end up slamming your feet into the ground trying to get under the bar, and I lift on concrete.

Also, Arnold lifted barefoot a lot:

image001.jpg

• Upvote 1

You can do any of these barefoot.

However, the Snatch, Clean and Jerk aren't the most comfortable thing if you jump your feet out as your feet transition from a pulling phase to a squatting phase.

On Saturdays I like to do my Back Squats barefoot. It's slightly different but I need to rework that ankle flexion since I lift 5-6 days in WL shoes. Fortunately I'm barefoot or in sandals most of the rest of the time.

You can squat OH or FS if you wish but you will need good ankle flexibility.

Again, not a fan of the SnCJ in barefoot, especially concrete (even with a stall mat on top). Not comfortable while landing. SQ and DL with 2/2.5xBW are ok though. I wouldn't do that with a 1.5/2xBW SnCJ.

• Upvote 1

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

The thing is: squats and deadlift are one thing and Olympic Lifting with its Olympic Lift are other.

OL has its technical lift, and everyone who has practiced OL knows this. The lifts are so technical, with a lot of landing in the feet, jumps while receiving the bar to get under it, explosiveness etc. Doing this barefoot I think it is not healthy and besides, its not going to improve your lifts at all. 

Squats and DL is other thing because can be done in a comfortable pace, and they're not explosive at all (can be, but it is not usual) and of course can be done barefoot with no problem at all, plus could be healthier than with shoes. 

Thery are differents beast and has to be treated in a different way.

It is mandatory doing it with olympic shoes? not at all. I practiced Olyft 3months with a pair of Converse ALLSTAR and everything was fine. Just a plain soul and that's all, don't have to be a elevated unless you're planning to compete.

David McManamon

"More explosive" is a vague term, if your goal is general then a specific detail like this is irrelevant.  You can just do plyometrics and become "more explosive".  If you goal was specific then you would need to get a coach and focus on minute details to maximize your performance achieving that target.