• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My legs are weak !

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Hi !

My legs are weak.

I do the Foundation series ( im at Sls PE1 close to mastery ) doing it twice a week. 

Would it be a good idea to add an accesory exercise  ?

For calves: high rep works best. A respected strength coach (forgot the name) has recommended 100 calf raises EVERYDAY for one month at a 2-2-2 tempo to see some good strength and size gains. Jumping rope with one leg can also help tremendously (Coach Sommer's recommendation).

For hamstrings: Natural leg curls/glute ham raises work well. One leg arch ups also target them well.

For quads: Shrimp squats (look them up) help the VMO a lot, as well as overall quad development.

From what I understand, weights are superior in gaining more strength than bodyweight exercises. I would continue working through all of Foundation SLS, then once you reach the end of F1 (or F2, if you decide to buy it/already have it), put that final element on maintenance to where you can achieve mastery still, while swapping your SLS session for a 3x5 or 5x5 barbell squat session.

For calves: high rep works best. A respected strength coach (forgot the name) has recommended 100 calf raises EVERYDAY for one month at a 2-2-2 tempo to see some good strength and size gains. Jumping rope with one leg can also help tremendously (Coach Sommer's recommendation).

For hamstrings: Natural leg curls/glute ham raises work well. One leg arch ups also target them well.

For quads: Shrimp squats (look them up) help the VMO a lot, as well as overall quad development.

From what I understand, weights are superior in gaining more strength than bodyweight exercises. I would continue working through all of Foundation SLS, then once you reach the end of F1 (or F2, if you decide to buy it/already have it), put that final element on maintenance to where you can achieve mastery still, while swapping your SLS session for a 3x5 or 5x5 barbell squat session.

does 2-2-2 mean to take two seconds going up, hold 2 seconds at the top, and two seconds to lower down?

was this recommendation to do calf raises body weight only or with weights for a month?

is this recommendation to do the calf raises every day just meant to be performed 1 month for hypertrophy, and then you can do them less often, or are you supposed to keep doing 100 every day forever?

thanks

Tristan Curtis

What goals do you have besides getting through the Foundations series? If none, more volume will just add mass you don't need.

Take it from someone who has weight-trained legs for years, grew big ones, and has to work that much harder to achieve all lever movements.

Marios Roussos

Here's the original article regarding the 100 calf raises: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_answer_for_massive_calves

You should be able to get answers to most of your questions there. I don't recall this approach ever being officially endorsed on this site. From what I remember, someone posted the link saying they were going to give it a try.

• Upvote 1

Sissy squats and hack squats are amazing for quads.  Training these a few times made pistol squats easier for me (my quads are my weak point right now).  Regular squats (ATG) and deadlifts will work your hamstrings/glutes.   For calves do calf raises on a ledge so that you can go all the way down.  I read recently you should do most of the reps in the bottom half of the ROM because you only work the top half of the ROM during day to day walking/activities. 

Deins Drengers

What goals do you have besides getting through the Foundations series? If none, more volume will just add mass you don't need.

Take it from someone who has weight-trained legs for years, grew big ones, and has to work that much harder to achieve all lever movements.

My goal is to develop strong legs that can assist me in tumbling ( explosive power) and static strength ( for L-sits L-hangs ). Aswell as do single leg squats and single leg box jumps and good sprints. 

I wouldn't add anything then. From what coach said at the seminar the later progression will meet your goals.

• Upvote 1

Deins Drengers

I wouldn't add anything then. From what coach said at the seminar the later progression will meet your goals.

Thank you !