Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighted dislocates

Andrew Long

Hej everyone,

I was wondering how much is too much dislocate work. For example is twice a day for a few sets of 10 reps too much? Would more be better or detrimental in this case.

The other thing I'm curious about is doing non weighted dislocates I actually feel like I have far less stability in my shoulder and it is easier to Injure is this normal? I haven't tried properly weighted dislocates I plan on starting them today because doing unweighted feels like I'm going to injure my shoulder.

Cheers :)

Connor Davies

I like to do my dislocates for sets of 5 at the start of my workout, although Coach recommends doing 1x10 at the end of your workout, when your joints are already warmed up and stretched out.  I just have to be extra careful not to push the end ROM, although I am making (slow) progress.

I've heard other people recommend that a set can be done every day, but again these people wouldn't recommend trying to increase ROM while you're still cold.

I've only ever done weighted dislocates.  I like them, because the strength requirements limit you to a safer ROM.  I can go much narrower with an unweighted dislocate, but it hurts to do so.

If you feel like you're going to injure your shoulder, there's no harm in stepping back a notch and slowing down your progress.  There's no need to be a dislocate hero (unless you're going for the KOF challenge....)

Well I tried weight dislocates today and I have to say they felt great. I felt strong and stable afterwards where as when I do the weightless ones at the same rom my shoulders just feel loose and easy to injure. I might try throwing a set of the, in after training then and see how that goes. Using 4 kilo bar with pretty wide grip as anything lower seemed like doing them unweighted. Lets see how this goes!

Has anyone experienced elbow pain during the doslocates (weightes/unweighted)?

I feel it sometime (when my arms are behind and just above paralel) no matter how wide I'm doing them... Could it be just poor technique?

Keilani Gutierrez

Pain is in elbow joint, it feels like its beeing compressed too much....

might wanna go a little wider. do a "comfortable" motion around, effort should be there, for sure but not a "I'm working at the limit if i move my hands closer, one of my arms is gonna pop off"

also, don't do them cold. as a workout finisher is the recommended prescription. 

to know how to further implement it in your workout, there's quite a few people who have that on lock down in the H1 forum. 

Thanks Keilani. I always do them after the workout at the end of the stretching routine...

I can reproduce this pain no matter how wide I go (but not every time!), and it is always whey I'm returning to the front position.

I'll checkout out H1 subforum in more details...It's hard to find some usefull stuff online about the dislocates...

I should probably post a form check video for dislocates, I never quite understood that shouder inlocation part that Coack spoke about in his thread...

The muscles on my shoulder blades have been getting incredibly sore from weighted dislocates recently. I think it's the Infraspinatus and Teres Minor, the rotator cuff muscles responsible for external rotation. It may be due to going too narrow too soon, since I am at 86 cm's but only 3 kgs.

I also think KNOW that my left shoulder responds slower to stretching due to shoulder stabilization surgery following a labrum tear. H1 will be a long journey indeed.

I've been using a pool cue for dislocates, and have made steady progress, but I'm still quite a fair away from shoulder width. I decided to try it with 5kg yesterday, with my empty barbell, and it felt pretty solid. Grip was like 2.5x shoulder width, though. Anyhow, I usually warm up with dislocates with my pool cue, and at the end I'll strive to narrow my grip, or sometimes use the 5kg bar.

Connor Davies

Has anyone experienced elbow pain during the doslocates (weightes/unweighted)?

I feel it sometime (when my arms are behind and just above paralel) no matter how wide I'm doing them... Could it be just poor technique?

Yeah, I had that at first too.  Use something with a little give too it, so you're not stressing your elbows too much.  Otherwise, as long as the pain is only a 1 out of 10, you can carry on just fine.  It just takes your elbows a little while to get used to the stress of dislocates.

hmmm might need the bicep prep from hs/iM>1&2. how heavy do you do those?

5lbs, I only do iM1 for now....

Yeah, I had that at first too.  Use something with a little give too it, so you're not stressing your elbows too much.  Otherwise, as long as the pain is only a 1 out of 10, you can carry on just fine.  It just takes your elbows a little while to get used to the stress of dislocates.

Thanks! Pain varies, sometime there is none, sometimes quite a lot...

Keilani Gutierrez

5lbs, I only do iM1 for now....

hmm, give it some time. but make it a habit to work within a range of mobility that won't compromise what you're building in the first place. this happened to me with a impinged rotator cuff. kept on keepin on, impinged, a week or so off, restart, build upto volume, impinged, a week or so off, restart. 

it's annoying when you have to give other PE's that didn't cause the problem a break to give attention to an annoying pseudo injury in the making. 

• Upvote 1