This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

LANEY'S WORK OUT LOG

Started by Laney, March 2, 2009 · 81 Replies · 5,686 Views

Brandon
Laney said:
Hey thanks! Yeah I was pretty pleased with that... I'm going to try to get 10 in the next couple weeks by doing the supercompensation program, have you read about this? My kipping pullups are pretty strong, I haven't tried the butterfly ones yet though...

I haven't heard of that program, but I'll check it out when I get home. Have you read pavel's grease the groove article? It goes over a method to increase your pull ups

Laney

Supercompensation: It's basically peak, taper, rest, test... So you pick anything you want to be stronger at (next is HSPU for me) and you do 3 sets of max reps (what I did the other day with 9,8,6 pullups) and then the next "workout" (it doesn't necessarily have to be the next day) you do 60% of those numbers (so today I am going to do 5,5,4 pullups) and then the next "workout" you do 60% of 60%, and then you rest on the 4th day. Come back after rest and test your max again, then start the cycle over. Supposedly it works! We'll see! I am going to alternate cycles between pullups and HSPU.

Brandon

Sounds interesting. Let me know how it works out

Laney

Gymnastics Class:

Lots of warming up and stretching

Roundoffs x10

Front Handsprings x15

Monkey Vault x10 (much better this week!)

60% of max pullups: 5/5/4

Obstacle Course: See Video

Monkey Vault (Me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YODDkobg2tY

Obstacle Course (this obviously isn't me, but this is the obstacle course we did twice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B86FNYnsqA

Laney

Blairbob~

For some reason I missed your post on my log from a few days ago...

I teach it as the shoulder completely open and it shrugs and pushes in concert with the kick of the legs to create elevation off floor.

Yes, I would like to get to this point with being on my hands, but I'm not yet so I tried simulating "blocking" instead. Not very good at it though... When I am on my hands I definitely still have a problem opening my shoulder angle, which is why I'm not very good at holding a HS or walking on my hands, let alone bouncing- working on it!

If your max strict pullups are 3, then L pullup and bulgarian are a way off according to the GB program.

So, according to "gymnastics nazis" :) my pullups don't count as strict? I agree that I should be more hollow, but I guess I'm just trying to be somewhere in the middle of CrossFit and traditional gymnastics standards. I can do 1, maybe 2 L-Pullups on my own, you are right I should just stick to those instead of trying the Bulgarian..

Thanks for your tips! :D

Blairbob

I thought the [9] was during kipping pullups and that you stated you could 3 strict pullups. Oh, the [x3] meant rounds. I was wondering how the hell you could do 20 and even L pullups or 1 Bulgarian L pullup if you could only do 3 strict.

Getting back to being a gym nazi. I would count them as strict but just needing to refine the form. I've notice our girls like to open their shoulders and do a mini bounce and wiggle that they think is small enough not to be seen by the coaches.

If you are hollow when you do pullups, you'll notice your body is sort of angled off vertical about 15 degrees off vertical.

Laney

Yesterday was a rest day. Today I did the GB WOD and it was hard...

4 Rounds:

10 Cast Wall Walks

(I couldn't do 10 in good form so I did 7/7/6/6)

30 Sec. Wheels

(I couldn't do wheels on my feet so I tried the first set on my knees, and then the other sets I did Wallabys)

30 Wall Runs

(I couldn't do these close to the wall, so I set my hands out further and straddled my legs, did 20 instead of 30)

These workouts are definitely humbling!

Later:

Ran 5 sets of stairs (202 stairs per set)= 1,010 steps

2 Rounds-

10 V-Ups

10 Lemon Squeezes

10 Side Arches each side

20 Arch-Ups

60% of 60% of pullup max: 3/3/2

Justin Rawley

Nice work. Gotta love them stairs.

Laney

Saturday I was craving some CrossFit, but I didn't want a painstorm so I just did:

Half "Angie"

For Time: 15:05

50 Pullups

50 Pushups

50 Situps

50 Squats

Lots of foam rolling and stretching.

Today I am going to do the GB WOD from Thursday 3.12.09

I admit that I was going to skip it because I am going to have to greatly modify EVERYTHING, but my training partner is making me do it today.. Good training partner.

Brandon

I love Angie. It's a great fast workout with no equipment required besides a pull up bar. That's a lot of work done in 15 minutes

Laney
Brandon said:
That's a lot of work done in 15 minutes

Yes, well remember- it was only half of Angie! Maybe one of these days I'll work up the guts to do Barbara again, she's a tough one!

Sunday: GB WOD from Thursday 3.12.09

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 4 Front Lever Circle Pulls

(spotted BL) + (Pullovers: set1=1 on my own & 2 spotted/set2=2 spotted/set3= 2 on my own & 1 spotted)

1 Embedded PL + 5 Chest Roll HeSPUs

(spotted PL) + (10 modified chest roll to HeSPU using an octogon- see video)

1 Embedded FL + 4 Windshield Wipers

(spotted FL) + (4 Half Windshield Wipers, last set knees bent)

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

(forgot these! But did 60 Bucket circles- 30 each direction)

Modified Chest Roll to HeSPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1Q5gb3rhQ

Blairbob

Nice drill, I'll try it with my boys.

Laney

GB WOD:

3 sets of each (rest 2-3 minutes between sets)

3x5 Weighted Jumping Deck Squats- 20# weightvest

3x5 Natural GHR

3x10 Hip Circles (these are hard!)

Also:

Lots of lacrosse ball rolling and stretching

3xMax Pullups:

8,7,6

Laney

GB WOD:

Complete the following:

10 minutes in XR Strap HS

I ended up doing 10 sets as long as I could in the XR Strap HS:

1-37 sec

2-40 sec

3-38 sec

4-45 sec

5-41 sec

6-45 sec

7-45 sec

8-45 sec

9-37 sec

10-41 sec

TOTAL TIME= 6.9 minutes

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

Later- "Burpee Fran"

21-15-9

Burpees

Pullups

Time: 9:50

Blairbob

Those are some really impressive times on your strap HS. My max rep was around 30s last time I did it. I'm envious. I skipped it today but will make it at sometime in the near future. I'm not sure I even did near 7m last time I tried. Hmm I did nearly 5m and it took nearly 35m to do it. I dunno, I can't remember if it was an off-day or what. They went down in time, fast.

the 3-13 WOD really sucked. I got really hateful of the cast wall walks, but I can't do a full wheel yet ( kind of a bent arm circle wheel ) so I did a hopping pushup where I brought my hands to my shoulders in the air before catching in straight arms ( similar to a clapping pushup or the wall run action ). At least the wall runs weren't too bad but they became tough eventually.

I really liked the barrel roll to HeSPU on Monday with my boys and they did as well.

Brandon
Laney said:
:

I ended up doing 10 sets as long as I could in the XR Strap HS:

1-37 sec

2-40 sec

3-38 sec

4-45 sec

5-41 sec

6-45 sec

7-45 sec

8-45 sec

9-37 sec

10-41 sec

TOTAL TIME= 6.9 minutes

Those are some crazy times for handstands on the rings. I guess it makes sense though because you were also able to pump out a ton of HSPUs. I'd like to see a video of how you get into position for the handstands on the rings

Jason Stein

Laney can bang out strict pull-ups like a champ!

She's also got a ton of core awareness, which means that on the rings, she needed very little spotting to reach true vertical --- wrists, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles were all in line with the straps, and she was cracking out 45 second rounds!

Very, very impressive.

jason

Laney
Hmm I did nearly 5m and it took nearly 35m to do it.

Yeah it took me about an hour to get close to 7 minutes.. I was actually surprised at how well I did the XR Strap HS, I hadn't really ever tried holding it before and that workout from a while ago that consisted of HSPU on the rings I needed like two people spotting me.

I'd like to see a video of how you get into position for the handstands on the rings

I will take a video of it next time I am up at CrossFit Portland, because that's where I did it.

Laney can bang out strict pull-ups like a champ!

She's also got a ton of core awareness, which means that on the rings, she needed very little spotting to reach true vertical --- wrists, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles were all in line with the straps, and she was cracking out 45 second rounds!

Very, very impressive.

Thanks for the props Jason!! It's fun training with you guys!

Laney

Took a rest day yesterday after I realized that I had trained 5 days in a row and done 7 workouts. When I started feeling irritable I thought I'd better take the day off. Today I did a metcon, tomorrow will be another rest day so that my legs are fresh for tons of running on Saturday and Sunday when I will be playing about 10-12 hours of ultimate frisbee. I used to play ultimate at a nationally competetive level (yes, such a thing exists) but now I just play in a few tournaments a year for fun. For those of you who don't know: ultimate is A LOT of running. Should be fun. Will stretch a lot and get back on the GB WOD track on Monday next week. :D Muscle up, here I come!

MetCon WOD (mine):

4 Rounds for time:

20 KB Swings (16k)

15 KB Thrusters (12k) these were especially hard two days after doing the XR handstands!

10 Box Jumps (24 inches)

15:45- Killer

Foam rolling & stretching

Laney

This weekend I played 7 games of ultimate frisbee in 2 days and my legs are FRIED. I figured I would be alright with an upper body workout, but it was still pretty hard! My diet was off this weekend too :oops: For the Back Lever Curls we each had 2 people spotting us through the full range of motion, those hurt. I was pleasantly surprised that I could actually do Korean Dips without any help :D , although as you can see in my video, I am WAY arched. For the HLL, I simply did Knees to Elbows because my hip flexors were not functional at all after the amount of running I did this weekend.

GB WOD:

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 3 Back Lever Curls

(tucked) + (3 spotted Back Lever Curls)

1 Embedded PL + 5 Korean Dips

(frogstand) + (5 Korean Dips)

1 Embedded FL + 5 Weighted HLL

(tucked) + (5 knees to elbows- hip flexors were not functioning enough to do straight leg lifts!)

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

(5 Wall Walks & 5 Backbend Kickovers- kicking off of wall)

2 Korean Dips (I did 5 in a row on the last set)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ioQBt3b31g

Laney

Complete four rounds:

10 depth jumps- about 2.5 feet

30 seconds weighted jumping deck squats- 15# weightvest

30m sled/tire sprints- partner drag using a band

Finish with 2x60 seconds seated toe point stretch.

20 minutes of stretching and rolling.

Richard Duelley

Nice job, I just got Korean dips the other day as well (undergrip version though). They are REALLY hard; Monday I actually got just about every guy in the gym to try them with me. Of course the 2 crazy ring specialists at my gym pushed out 5 sets of 10! and I did 5 sets of 2 :mrgreen: I felt good because I was the only other person in the gym (besides the ring guys) that could do these 8)

Keep it up!

Laney
Nice job, I just got Korean dips the other day as well (undergrip version though). They are REALLY hard; Monday I actually got just about every guy in the gym to try them with me. Of course the 2 crazy ring specialists at my gym pushed out 5 sets of 10! and I did 5 sets of 2 :mrgreen: I felt good because I was the only other person in the gym (besides the ring guys) that could do these 8)

Yeah I didn't even try the under grip version. I was happy with getting the over grip! Nice work!

Laney

Today (Thursday) is a long awaited rest day, my body is toast! Last night I had gymnastics class and did a ton of muscle up attempts. It's frustrating that I didn't get it because I really thought I would get it last night, but at the same time, I made a lot of progress and I'm getting closer. Here's what I did:

30 minute warm up and stretching

HS Rolls x10

Cartwheels x16

Round Offs x10

Front HS x5 (not so good)

5 Pullovers

3x15 V-Ups

3x15 Arch-Ups

80 Bucket Circles (40 each direction)

Muscle Up Training:

I lost track of how may attempts I made at getting my muscle up today, but if my wrists are any indication, it was A LOT. At least 15. I got videos of 9 of them, here are 2 from somewhere in the middle of them all. The first is me trying to not kip too much, then I said screw it in the second video and decided to kip and got a lot closer. Not there yet, but painfully close! I'll be thrilled with a kipping muscle up, then I'll focus on strict.

This was attempt 8 or 9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeUl7suBWns

This was attempt 12 or 13:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aY4uQbU4Rc

Blairbob

Thanks for posting your korean dip video. I have a better idea of how to do them maybe now. They remind me of doing a dip where upper body is way forward of the rest of the body beyond a simple RTO dip. Maybe I'll get it now.