This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

LANEY'S WORK OUT LOG

Started by Laney, March 2, 2009 · 81 Replies · 5,686 Views

Laney

I have been posting my WODs on the WOD page with each new one, then I saw that everyone else created threads here to show what they've been doing... and since I REALLY REALLY WANT TO GO TO THE SEMINAR :!: , I figured I better do it too. I don't even know if anyone has gone to my blog to see my videos :?: . So when I get home tonight I will figure out how to transfer everything over to this forum! :D

Laney

So here are all of my workouts since joining the competition to get free tuition to the seminar. NOTE: where it says "video" I will be putting all of those on this forum tomorrow. If you want to see any of them they are on my blog- laneysgymnastictraining.blogspot.com :lol:

2.28.09

My WOD:

Row 1500m

Stair Climb 10 minutes: 69 floors

3 Rounds (not timed):

3 Weighted Pullups- 15#

3 Strict Pullups

5 Kipping Pullups

11 Dips (bar)

I haven't been doing very many pullups lately (compared to heavy CrossFitting) so they feel very weak. Will be working pullups more!

2.26.09

GB WOD (from last week, I did part of it on Monday, but did the exercises wrong):

4 Rounds:

10 depth jumps

(Did box jump to deck jump: 3 feet)

30 seconds jumping Graduated SLS

(Did SLS deck squat jumps: alternating 7, 7, 6, 6)

30m tire/sled sprints

(Used partner and band for 30m up an incline)

(Took 18:13 with partner, we had to alternate the run)

*Abs x2

20 Roman Chair LL

40 MB Twists

10 Side Arches (on hand) each side

20 Arch Ups on back extension

*Calf Raises (20 both, 20 each, 20 both)

2.25.09

My WOD:

5 Rounds (not for time)

15 KB SDLHP

10 KB Swings

5 Burpees

Gymnastics:

Cartwheels

Roundoffs

Handstand Rolls

Spotted Muscle Ups x6 (felt strong, but still not strong enough!)

3 Rounds:

1 Minute Wall Handstand

5 Leg Lifts

10 Squat Throughs on Pommel

Me doing a spotted muscle up:

video

2.23.09

GB WOD (2 of them):

3x5 SLS

3x5 SL Arch-ups (used a slanted back extension thing)

4 Rounds: [12]

10 Depth Jumps (2.5 feet)

30 sec SLS Jumps (5R, 5L, 5R, 5L)

20 Double Unders

(Did not have a tire, sled, box, or partner to do the tire/sled sprints)

*Ab Routine 2x

Posted by Laney Peach Coyne at 9:05 PM 0 comments

2.22.09

Basketball Game: 1 hour

Posted by Laney Peach Coyne at 9:04 PM 0 comments

Sunday, February 22, 2009

2.21.09

Run 1 mile

10 minutes on stepmill for max floors: 67

Ab Routine

Thursday, February 19, 2009

2.19.09

GB WOD:

Complete 3 sets of each:

Embedded BL (1-2 reps) + Front Lever Rows (3-5 reps)(Tucked BL x1) + (Tucked FL Rows x3)

Embedded PL (1-2 reps) + XR PPP Plus (3-5 reps)

(Frogstand x1) + (XR PPP Plus x3 - "plus" was a tiny hop)

Embedded FL (1-2 reps) + HLL V to L (3-5 reps)

(Tucked FL x1) + (HLL V to L x3 - knees bent)

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks(Started to do bridge wall walks, lower back is a little out, it hurt, so I stopped after 3)

Later: 5x500 meter row

2:15, 2:08, 2:07, 2:09, 2:04

Me doing a tucked back lever:

video

2.18.09

Mixed GB WOD(s)- Ring Work and Legs:

Earlier in the day:

3x5 Weighted Jumping Deck Squats (holding DB 10#,12.5#,15#)

3x5 Natural Leg Curl

At gymnastics later:

Stretch

Bucket Circles 4x15 (2 sets each direction) way better than last week!

Hip Circles 2x10

Front Hip Extensions 2x10

Side Hip Extensions 2x10

Band Assisted Muscle Up 3x5

A few attempts at the shoulder stand in a tucked position

Band Assisted Bulgarian Dips 3x5

Ring Dips 3x5

Wall Extensions 2x10

*Very sore from yesterday's workout!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2.17.09

4 Rounds for time:

Run 800 meters

20 Pushups

24:30

*Ab Routine

*Later in the evening: 14 total backbend progressions w/ panel mats

GB WOD (from Monday):

(In parenthesis is what I did)

Complete four rounds: (Did 3 rounds)

10 Clapping Pull-ups (5 Kipping Pullups with release at top)

10 TOPs Pulls (5 Tucked TOPS Pulls- see video)

5 360s (5 Skin the Cats)

This workout was super hard for me. I can't do clapping pullups, so I just tried to release at the top. I can't do any sort of straight body lever movements so I tucked for the TOPS, and just did the negative portion. And I tried but couldn't do a tucked 360, so I did skin the cats instead. 3 rounds of 5 reps each. HARD!

video

Monday, February 16, 2009

2.15.09

2 Basketball Games: 2 Hours

Posted by Laney Peach Coyne at 8:36 PM 0 comments

Saturday, February 14, 2009

2.14.09

GB WOD:

Perform:

12 cycles of Wrist Handstands (facing wall, hands about 5-6 inches from wall, held each for 15 seconds)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

These got pretty hard about half way through!

2.13.09

My WOD (the first in the garage!):

Wearing a 10# weight vest-5 Rounds for time:

15 KB Swings- 16kg

10 Pushups

5 Jump Squats

9:23

Missed the GB WOD on Thursday because it was my day of rest.. wanted to do the Thursday WOD today but don't have the right set-up (no partner or anything to hold my feet down at the moment for Natural GHD) so I did my own WOD. Will do Friday's GB WOD on Saturday!

A little muscle up inspiration for girls!

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Prac ... scleUp.mov

2.11.09

My WOD:

Run 1 mile

50 squats

Run 800m

40 squats

Run 400m

30 Squats

Run 200m

20 squats

Finish with ab routine

2.10.09

This workout was so incredibly HARD-

GB WOD:

Perform four rounds:

20 Bucket Circles

30-60 seconds of Germans

40' Ag Walks

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

I did it in a total time of 19:15

I used to be good at bucket circles, but it is apparent that I haven't done them in a while! I did 15 each set instead of 20. For the Germans I did Planche pushups with my feet elevated about 18" on a mat. AG walks I used a board with wheels on it, so feet were up off of the ground a few inches, these are super hard!

2.9.09

GB WOD:

Perform 3 giant sets of each of the following:

embedded BL (1-2 reps) + OAC assisted (3-5 reps)

embedded PL (1-2 reps) + Strap HSPU on the XR (3-5 reps)

embedded FL (1-2 reps) + Body Levers (3-5 reps)

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

MOD:

Back Tuck Lever (8,6/6/6) + OAC on assisted PU machine -70# (3/3/3)

Frog Stand (15,15/20/16) + HSPU against wall (5/4/4)

Front Tuck Lever (8,6/6/6) + Body Levers, 1/3 of the way down (3/3/3)

*not enough time to do bridge wall walks..

2.6.09

GB WOD (part of it):

Ring Strength

3x10 Ring Pushups

3x10 Ring Rows

3x5 Ring Dips

*Very tired and body is fatigued/sore today.

2.5.09

GB WOD:

4 Rounds, 2-3 minutes rest between rounds

20 Deck Squat Jumps

30 Second Shuttle Run

Senders (about 8 jumps/boxes/hurdles)

*Didn't time each round individually, but took about 15 minutes total.

HARD!

2.4.09

Gymnastics Class:

Roundoffs x 10

Backbend/kickovers x 16 (started with 12 panels of mat down to 4)

Front Handsprings x 12 (on tumble strip onto port-a-pit)

Monkey Vault x 12

Back Handsprings x 7 (on wedge with spot)

Precision Jumps x 10 on low beams

x 10 on high beams

Abs/Conditioning:

2x 15 leg-lifts & 10 squat throughs

20 V-Ups

20 Lemon Squeezes

20 Side Bends

40 Twists

40 Arch-Ups

20 Hollow Rocks

Finish with 1 Rope Climb

Video of precision jumps across the beams.. I bailed on the last one. Mental.

video

2.3.09

GB WOD: (actually more like 2 of them combined)

15 minutes of HS Walking ladders (sets & steps: 2,2,2,3,3,3,4,3,4,1,2,6,4,3,7!)

2x5 SLS, 1x5 Jumping SLS

rest 3-5 minutes

2x6 Wall Pike Press HS

(1x6 Headstand Press, 1x6 Handstand against wall negatives)

3x5 GHR

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups.

Here is a video of me doing 7 steps in a row on my hands (my best so far):

video

2.1.09

WOD:

Basketball- 1 hour

Stretch

This is me in August '08 trying to get my muscle up:

video

I was so close, and then I stopped training it

as much... NEED TO GET IT!!!!!!!

1.31.09

My WOD:

Run 400m 4x (on treadmill, 7mph, 8mph, 8.5mph, 9mph)

5 Rounds for time: [14]

5 Ring Dips

5 HSPU

Skills:

10 Backbend/Walkover (feet elevated 18" down to 6")

10 Headstand Pike Press (not very good)

1.31.09

Gymnastic Bodies WOD

Complete 4 Rounds:

10 Kipping Pullups

1 15' Cirque

10 German Hang Pulls

MOD: [27]

10 Kipping Pullups

5 Towel Pullups on Assisted Pullup machine -55# (grip strength needs work)

5 German Hang Pulls (couldn't do more than this pulling back through)

Laney

GB WOD:

3 Rounds- (what I did is in parentheses)

1 Planche + 5 Muscle Ups

(frogstand) + (set 1=5 band assisted, set 2=2 attempts & 5 assisted, set 3=3 attempts & 5 assisted)

1 BL + 5 HLL

(tucked BL) + (5 HLL)

1 FL + 5 L-sit Lifts

(tucked FL) + (5 not-very-good L-sit Lifts)

Later I ran some stairs and did v-ups and arch-ups, etc.

**I haven't yet figured out how to post videos from youtube onto here.. help?

Laney

Did a kettlebell WOD today, will do today's GB WOD later this week..

5 Rounds for time:

10 Swings- 16kg

10 Clean and Press (5 each arm)- 16kg first set, dropped to 12kg for the rest

10 Wall Ball Substitute- 12kg

17:32

Brandon

I know this is going to come back and bite me in the ass once everyone votes for you for the contest because you have videos :) but here's how you post the videos in your workout log.

you take the youtube link

i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Fmow5MhnY

then just take the end part of it

i.e. r1Fmow5MhnY

highlight it, and then press the YouTube button at the top of the box you're typing in.

Laney

Finally, some videos! (in no particular order)

Thanks for the help J Lin and Brandon!!

Walking On Hands (sort of) Jan '09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO2_Zt2vHsw

Muscle Up Attempt 3.2.09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcjVGRBfvI

Band Assisted Muscle Ups 3.2.09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUvdjoQ4HSE

Tucked Back Lever (sort of) Feb '09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCP6tE9K4RQ

Muscle Up Attempt Aug '08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufr-YCFp3r0

Spotted Back HS Sept '08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPnTJIqvx1A

Precision Beam Jumps Jan '09 (i got in my own head on the last one!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqNJgcH0Uo

Spotted Muscle Up Feb '09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r4Q64by-YA

Brandon

some of the videos seem like they're in a crossfit gym and some are in a gymnastics place. are you doing crossfit also?

Laney

Yeah I do CrossFit too.. I was way into it last year but now I only do 2, maybe 3, CrossFit WODS a week. Focusing more on getting these gymnastics skills, and CrossFitting heavy doesn't really go well with that :? I love CrossFit though! Also, some of the CF guys here in Portland are way into GB, so they do the WODS all four days that they are posted.

Brandon

That's awesome. I just started going to Crossfit on Monday and will be going 2 days/week and then training GB probably 3 days a week. A video of you getting your first muscle up is going to put the tuition money in your pocket in my opinion.

Laney

MOTIVATION!! :D That's cool that you are doing some CrossFit too.. It really is a great way to increase your general fitness level, although it's also very easy to overtrain (for me at least!)

Laney

Went to gymnastics class:

Long warmup with lots of stretching

Cartwheels x10

Roundoffs x18

Front Handsprings (into port-a-pit) x8

Monkey Vault (more like attempts- these were so incredibly bad today, :x very frustrated) x10

20' Rope Climb x1

2 Muscle Up Attempts

3x3 Spotted Muscle Ups (felt weak today)

3x5 Spotted Handstand Pike Press

3x5 Spotted Full Range HS Pushup on Paralettes

Here's my first set of the spotted HS Presses- second set was better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC-wn7X2oqM

Here's my first set of spotted full range HSPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLVEBo7qnvM

braindx

Don't do your pike presses so fast. It's a controlled movement. Pulling the legs up that fast throws your back into an arch and pulls your butt out of proper alignment over your shoulders.

HSPUs could be a bit better... some arch there -- need to get it to hollow position. Much harder but if you want to get freestanding ones it would be a good idea to clean them up now.

Brandon

I agree with the speed of the pike presses. I'm really impressed with the strength shown in the HSPUs though.

Blairbob

Nice HSPU. If your spotter was on the other side, it can sometimes be a bit easier to stay hollow unless you arch in your chest.

Next time in the pike presses, go all the way down to L and press back up from there. You can either straddle up once your hips are horizontal or continue to pike. It will be a bit awkward for the spotter and you but I say get over it.

Laney

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah, the set of pike presses after the one we recorded was better, a little slower and more controlled, and I didn't overextend as much. I will try the other way of pressing up next week. I definitely need to get stronger in the hollow position for my HSPU. I can do HdSPU on my own against a wall, but that extra range of motion on the parallettes is killer!

Unfortunately, I think a combination of what I did on Wednesday night (maybe the ones I did wrong and arched too much..) and a chronically weak part of my low back has left me with a tweaked back from lying on my stomach yesterday- my REST day. Why is it that people like us do all of this super challenging training and then I so easily put my back out from lying down the wrong way?!?! FRUSTRATING :x :x :x So I am taking it easy today, as in doing NOTHING but rolling on a foam roller and icing, so that my back can feel better tomorrow. I guess 2 rest days in a row won't be too bad...

Brandon

that definitely sucks. I guess you have incentive to do your pike presses slow and controlled now :) In better news, I now have an opportunity to pull ahead in progression :) jk

Blairbob

Actually, a chiro told me that sleeping on your stomach causes excessive lordosis in your lower back and tightness.

Laney

Not so fast Brandon! I'm back in action today :D Just did a small metcon and will do some GB later... I will post what I do tonight... And yeah, Blairbob I agree- sleeping on your stomach = not a good idea!

Blairbob

It's not a good idea but I sleep that way a lot. Ehh.

I used to coach both girl's and boy's or primarily girl's. I miss it. Now, I just coach the boy's and cheer tumblers (girls) besides giving the girl's a tip every once in awhile.

Laney

Saturday:

4 Rounds-

Row 500m

10 Pushups

Stair Climb 10 floors

20 Squats

Sunday:

1 Hour Basketball Game

**** MONDAY: GETTING BACK ON THE GB TRACK (missed some of the wods last week)****

Laney

GB WOD:

Complete four rounds: (what I did in parentheses)

10 Hopping HeSPUs

(Single rep Handstand Hops- see video)

30 seconds under-grip HLL

(7,9,8,8)

40' Senders*****I twisted my ankle playing basketball yesterday :( so I didn't do senders, instead I did-

(20 calf raises, 20 squats)

Finish with 2x60 seconds seated toe point stretch

(Did not do this because of my swollen and sore ankle..)

20 Kipping Pullups

Max Reps Strict Pullups x3

set 1= 9

set 2= 8 (see video, tiny kick at the top of #8, call it 7 if you must)

set 3= 6

Single Rep HS Hop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aPyIcAjpXE

Pullups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR84dcwwD2Q

Laney

GB WOD:

Perform the following:

3 sets: 1-3 XR Strap HSPU to 1-3 Bulgarian Dips to 1-3 MU Transitions to 1-3 Bulgarian L-sit Pull-ups to BL to FL

3x5 Tick Tocks

Finish with 2x10 Wall Extensions

Since I can't exactly do anything consecutively on the rings, I broke it up into modified movements, one after another.

Here's what I did:

3 Rounds-

R1=HSPU on parallettes w/ band assistance and a bit of a spot 3x/R2=on rings w/ band assistance and spot 3x/R3= same as R2 2x

Bulgarian Dips 2/2/2 (this was my first time doing these so they weren't that great..)

MU Transition w/ band assistance 2/1/2

Bulgarian L-sit Pullup R1=1 on my own, 2 spotted/R2=1 on my own/R3=3 spotted

Tucked BL 1/1/1

Tucked FL 1/1/1

Seeing as how this workout completely fried my upper body (and was also extremely humbling and frustrating) I didn't do the tick tocks after my 3 rounds. The "ring series" was plenty of strength work for me today, I would have needed a spotter and I'm guessing that the tick tocks would have been hideously poor form.

2x10 Wall Extensions

Blairbob

Your HS hop is exactly why I don't like HS hops when they are done typically. The head is out and their is a shoulder angle so the shrug is done through the chest intead of just with open shoulders that open more ( what we want for front tumbling is a vertical shoulder angle that opens even more ). I also have problems with the typical underarm circle to HS hops which usually enters with even more of a shoulder angle.

I teach it as the shoulder completely open and it shrugs and pushes in concert with the kick of the legs to create elevation off floor. I tend to be pretty *anal* about this. I thought about doing HS hops yesterday but didn't either.

As for your pullups, I would advise working these with legs together and tight. Pull with a hollow body ( shoulders rounded, chest empty ) versus allowing an arch in the chest. Notice how you arch in the chest and then sort of wiggle and hollow out in the midline? No chin reach either.

Maybe instead of working the bulgarian L pullup, it might have been best to just work L pullup. Either way so long as it's intense movement, the effect is sorta the same.

If your max strict pullups are 3, then L pullup and bulgarian are a way off according to the GB program.

Don't mind me, I'm sort of just being a gymnastics nazi. Coach Glassman has said that it isn't so necessary for CF uses to be a gymnastics form nazi ( toe point, turnout, etc ), but if you are interested in a desireable positions in gymnastics it is. Our girl's coach woulda been yelling at ya and our girls would have had to do them again. Then again, he's kind of a gym nazi.

Brandon

Great job on the pullups. 8 deadhang pull ups is no joke. Especially when most girls out there can't do one and most guys can't do five. How are your kipping pullups? Have you tried butterfly pullups?

Laney

Hey thanks! Yeah I was pretty pleased with that... I'm going to try to get 10 in the next couple weeks by doing the supercompensation program, have you read about this? My kipping pullups are pretty strong, I haven't tried the butterfly ones yet though...