Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand form correction

iamparkhwan

http://youtu.be/BrdKyeV_0cs

http://youtu.be/D6pdPoMdgiE

Here are some videos of myself doing a handstand against the wall.

I can hold a wall handstand against the wall for about 1 minute x 3 set

(Since the floor is a carpet surface, I could only hold the handstand for about a minute)

I've been doing wall handstands for about 3~4 months now, and I don't seem like I'm ever going to progress to a free standing handstand at any point.

So I just wanted to start a discussion whether my handstand form is correct or not, if it helps me anyway.

I already see my back arching, but no more than that.

I'll be happy to take any criticism at all from fellow gymnasts...

Mikael Kristiansen

You need to work your wall handstands with your stomach against the wall instead so you can more efficiently work on your alignment.

You are probably lacking specific mobility and strength in your shoulders which forces you to arch your back. One of the ways to correct this over time is to assure yourself of proper position while working with the stomach against the wall and focusing on the hollow position where you suck in your chest and tighten your legs and glutes. Let your toes be on the wall in the beginning and film yourself from the side to see your alignment. You should also do shoulder mobillity drills on top of this.

What is also evident here is that you are not capable of balancing from your fingers well enough as your feet need to touch the wall. You must press with your fingers as if you were clawing the floor to control your overbalance.

When it comes to freestanding, you will never learn it unless you simply practice it. It is a tough question whether you should train it already, or wait until your handstand gets proper form before working freestanding. I would advise you to get control of your balance with your fingers before you work on it. You need to master your freestanding kick up, along with getting used to falling without hurting yourself and you might have to make hundreds of attempts to start to develop the sensitivity and understanding for how much you need to kick to get into a handstand.

Thanks, that provided a lot of help. Yes, since I'm not a gymnast at all, my lack of strength is clearly shown in the video.

I was unable to kick up to a wall handstand about 2 months ago, so I believe I'm progressing to a freestanding handstand very slowly.. haha

The stomach to the wall handstand seems to be so much harder than the back facing the wall handstand now, it's weird because I couldn't even do the back facing wall handstand about 2 months ago!

I better start working on stomach facing wall and work on my allignings... Thanks I really appreciate the words