Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advanced tool for HS alignment

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

Hi to everyone, on the last week 2 my team friends got their qualification for the National Italian Absolute of gymnastic for both rings and pbars. For the occasion we had in our gym a coach who actually works on the Italian National Accademy of Milan. I've experimented some new exercise for the handstand line that i've never did. For people who have some familiarity with Handstand One probably can see similar exercise but not the same. 

I decided to share it with you. But be careful.

For my personal experience was very hard to hold it for 8-9 seconds.

I found that the benefit it gives for high bar giants and generally for shoulders extension and hollow position is very good.

It's not for people who do not have a reasonable shoulders opening (near 180°) and familiarity with hollow position in handstand, the risk is slam the face on the floor.

The most difficult parts were:

-try to pull down on the wall

-push you away from the wall

-maintain the correct pelvic tilt posture.

post-1151-0-43959800-1383482663_thumb.jp

• Upvote 4

From the thumbnail pic I thought you were suspended with both your hands and feet pressed against opposite walls. That would be quite the alignment drill...

Thanks for sharing! I forsee many a faceplant in my future.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Been suspended probably will be more difficult but it's hard to build up a decent facility to do that, you probably need to know exactly the distance between palms (with elevated shoulders) and feet so that you can adjust the position.

We did the exercise is posted with the support more near to the hips and was a stable support, the risk is that the bench can move backward while you are pushing/pulling against wall, for these reasons i used 25 kg plates to stabilize the bench.

Christoph Pahl

This suspended thing I did once, I found an alleyway with exactly the correct distance and climbed it up a bit this way. Also seen a photo of a rock climber somewhere who climbed a wide chimney in this manner. But the allowed distance tolerance is very small - just a little bit narrower and you can climb it with the usual straddling. Just a little bit wider... nasty fall.