Pain in lower back attempting Front Lever

Started by Samo Azizbekyan, October 24, 2013 · 6 Replies · 14,355 Views

Samo Azizbekyan

Hey everyone. I've been experiencing this problem with the front lever quite some time now. It appears to be that every time i try to get into the front lever, I feel like the only thing stopping me is this pain i get in my lower back. When i try to hold the position, thats when it hurts. There is no pain when I'm doing front lever pulls, only when i try to hold it. If anyone has any input or any information to why this may be, and how I could fix it, it'd be greatly appreciated. 

Niklas03

A video would be nice, of course, but my first guess would be an insufficiently tucked pelvis during the front lever hold. Again, just guessing, you are perhaps doing a better job of engaging the midsection in the hang when you start the pull and the small piece of momentum carries you through the hardest part. Depending on the speed of the pull throughout the movement, you are not spending a whole lot of time in the most disadvantaged position.

 

As to how to fix it if this happens to be your problem, get that hollow hold and its progressions solid.

Samo Azizbekyan

I don't get what you mean by insufficiently tucked pelvis, but I understand what you mean by not spending enough time in the most disadvantaged position, youre right. 

Flavio85

Maybe its your hip flexors, try stretching them. Tight hip flexors (iliopsoas especially) can cause lower back pain.

Samo Azizbekyan

Hmm, ill try those out, but idk if that is going the help with the back pain i get from trying to hold a front lever

Niklas03
Samo Azizbekyan said:

I don't get what you mean by insufficiently tucked pelvis, but I understand what you mean by not spending enough time in the most disadvantaged position, youre right. 

As you start to hold the static front lever, you may begin to lose posterior pelvic tilt at some point as the anterior core fatigues, which increases the lordosis in your lower back. Once the back arches too much (doesn't have to be much past a neutral spine) and this combined with fatigued anterior core muscles can cause pain in the lower back. Was this any clearer?

Coach Sommer
Niklas03 said:

As you start to hold the static front lever, you may begin to lose posterior pelvic tilt at some point as the anterior core fatigues, which increases the lordosis in your lower back. Once back arches too much (doesn't have to much past a neutral spine) and this combined with fatigued anterior core muscles can cause pain in the lower back. Was this any clearer?

This is a common problem for those who attempt more advanced lever work with insufficient physical preparation.

The Foundation courses are specifically designed to address and correct the physical deficiencies which Niklas outlined above.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer