Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Essential information on gymnastics training

gymrob

Ok, so basically for a few months now, I have been searching a wealth of information on gymnastics training, mainly strength training and conditioning for skills (press to handstand etc), strength holds (planche etc) and for events such as tumbling.

Where do I start...there is just so much stuff out there it's unbelieveable! So what I thought would benefit many people who are a little confused just like me and possible clear things up would be for me to outline a few VERY basic pieces of info and for people to correct me on ANYTHING that is not optimal for developing something (eg strength):

Strength:

Ok, so from what I have read, strength gains with exercises such as HSPU's etc are best kept to 3-5 reps (being 3-5 rm) which may mean weighted or performing a harder variation, 3-5 sets and 3-5 mins rest. Also, failure should be avoided.

For every vertical push or pull exercise, you should have another horizontal to stay away from muscle imbalances.

There is also the supersets route with antagonist pairing which is great for time efficiency and can be used for strength with 1:40 rest in between.

GTG (grease the grove) can be used to become more neurologically efficient at an exercise. With GTG, it should to around 80% of max reps performed once every hour or so 6-10 times a day with a 5 day on and 2 day off routine.

Conditioning:

More endurance orientated, where you do exercises often bodyweight with reps until you feel a slight burn but not to failure, with 1-2 minutes rest in between sets and 3-4 sets.

Skills training and holds:

These should generally be practiced before a workout especially say planches which are CNS intensive. Correct form is essential and planches should be in sets of 50% max hold.

Questions:

How long should a strength routine last for? Are full body strength routines optimal like 3-4 days a week and what are your favourite programme methods? Seperate push/pull full body days, full body push and pull days, super sets etc. How many days a week should conditioning and strength be trained?

Thank you for reading. I may have made mistakes, but I would love for these to be corrected as people including myself can see why things are wrong and what is right or optimal.

:D