This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Has anyone mastered MN/PE2 yet?

Started by Badi, September 25, 2013 · 225 Replies · 11,493 Views

Adriano Augusto

I start with 10 little lifts. Is a hell, so I rest. Then again 10 lifts, rest. 4-5 sets. When I am fully warm up, I go for 10 lifts and 10 seconds hold. 4-5 sets. And then I go for MN/PE2. 

 

It's not a training at all, it's a specific warmup to MN/PE2 and are making wonders for me.

 

And yes, it is that.

dritar

You may find that breaking down the movement into parts may also help. In MN/PE(1,2,3) your body is supposed to move as a unit, that is you lift your legs at the same time as you raise your torso.

 

However I've found very helpful to sometimes work the movement into pieces, like raise your legs in straddle as high as you can and then raise your torso slowly while trying to keep the legs in the same place. In essence whatever makes your hip flexors cramp will help with this :).

Adriano Augusto

I can answer you with a video, thecolin

 

 

This is from few hours ago, sunday morning. After a lot of straddle leg lift flat back on wall (I don't know, maybe 300 lifts or something, circles, etc) I tried MN/PE2, and this is the result. I've been doing straddleleglift 2 weeks ago (plus flexibility) and I'm improving by the time. I don't know where I will be in this exercise within 2 months.

Bipocni
Adriano Flo said:

I don't know where I will be in this exercise within 2 months.

Hey, at least you can touch the floor.

Francisco Rodriguez
I think that you shouldn't focus on touching the floor with the hands, that creates an imbalance between your upper and lower body.
 
Watch the last minutes from the video I posted a week ago.
Also, Jon Douglas explains very well this point in the following thread:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10281-mnpe2-straddle-up-question/page-2'

 

 

I'm not an expert, but try and see if it works 
Christian
Adriano Flo said:

This is from few hours ago, sunday morning. After a lot of straddle leg lift flat back on wall (I don't know, maybe 300 lifts or something, circles, etc) I tried MN/PE2, and this is the result. I've been doing straddleleglift 2 weeks ago (plus flexibility) and I'm improving by the time. I don't know where I will be in this exercise within 2 months.

You are doing much more difficult than in the video. Notice how you start lifting with legs together and split them into a straddle at the top. In the video, the athlete splits his legs immediately when he initiates the lift and brings them to the side. This makes it much easier. This is only a progression to a V-up anyways. Here's a vid of how I lift the legs, which is how I believe it is in the video.

 

Sorry about the clothes and quality of the vid, I filmed it immediately after getting in from driving my gf to the bus.

 

 

Wether it's mastery standard or not Coach will decide at the London seminar next weekend :-)

thecolin
Adriano Flo said:

I can answer you with a video, thecolin

 

Nice work, and with those socks I think they even count as weighted.  ;)

thecolin
Christian said:

Wether it's mastery standard or not Coach will decide at the London seminar next weekend :-)

 

I think it looks good. It's hard to say with the lose pants, but are your legs completely locked out? I'd perhaps work on pointing your toes more.

 

Have fun at the seminar!

Adriano Augusto

Thanks Francisco, Christian, thecolin and JON DOUGLAS!. Truly helpful.

 

I read that thread but long time ago. It's funny because now it seems I've just read it with other glasses.

 

I'm on hype to put in practice the advice. 

 

Thanks again!

Bipocni

Just re-read my copy of BtGB, and for people struggling with this one, the demonstrated form in the book has an angle of between 60-90 degrees.

emilianop

Well, this is my take on it.

 

pass: gbf1

 

This was recorded yesterday after F1+H1 training.

I think I mastered it back in the days (I'm on PE6 currently), in case you spot something drastically wrong let me know.

 

Badi: I have no previous gymnastics training experience whatsoever, but do have martial arts background, so I guess this does not fully answer your questions, anyway I didn't find this drill particularly terrible (unlike a couple of other ones that are really hitting me hard  :P  ).

Eric Baum
maolu said:

Well, this is my take on it.

 

pass: gbf1

 

This was recorded yesterday after F1+H1 training.

I think I mastered it back in the days (I'm on PE6 currently), in case you spot something drastically wrong let me know.

 

Badi: I have no previous gymnastics training experience whatsoever, but do have martial arts background, so I guess this does not fully answer your questions, anyway I didn't find this drill particularly terrible (unlike a couple of other ones that are really hitting me hard  :P  ).

It looked good enough to move on in my opinion =]

thecolin
Bipocni said:

Just re-read my copy of BtGB, and for people struggling with this one, the demonstrated form in the book has an angle of between 60-90 degrees.

 

Interestingly, the pictures from the BtGB book actually seem to be identical to the ones in Foundation. I guess that explains the slight difference between the video and the pictures along the side.

 

 
maolu said:

Well, this is my take on it.

 

Did you use any additional drills like leg raises from the ground? Or just the iM?

emilianop
thecolin said:

 

Did you use any additional drills like leg raises from the ground? Or just the iM?

 

As said, I think it worked for me thanks to a lot of martial arts training done in the past.

Lots of front stretch straight leg kicks and kick jumps for sure have helped for this type of movement.

I passed the first MN PEs right after I started F1, so I guess I'm not the right person to ask about "how was the path to get out of there", I simply had it already.

 

I could point you to the non-gymnastics type of workout that got me there, but I reckon it wouldn't make much sense?

There's no reason why the already existing MN progressions wouldn't work as is IMHO, probably it's just one of those movements someone's body takes more time than others to adapt to. For example I suck at HBP.

 

For sure this proves there's more than one way to get to the same point ;)

thecolin
maolu said:

 

I passed the first MN PEs right after I started F1

 

I'd just like to state for the record, that I hate you very much.  :D

emilianop
thecolin said:

I'd just like to state for the record, that I hate you very much.  :D

 

To compensate for that I can tell you I'm on HBP/PE2 since forever... better now? :D

Can't get to master it properly with perfect form yet.

Adriano Augusto

Funny... I think I've had a breakthrough with this movement following suggestions of this thread.

 

It's the first day that I've checked my form in the mirror and looks like a lot as F1 athlete, besides, I felt like a gymnast with those compressions. One of this days I'll upload another video just to show it. 

 

I'm happy :D

 

Cheers!

thecolin
maolu said:

To compensate for that I can tell you I'm on HBP/PE2 since forever... better now? :D

Can't get to master it properly with perfect form yet.

 

HBP is tricky too... as is SL... and RC has some tricky points... and FL... and sPL... and SLS and H1 has some big hurdles as well.  :P

Adriano Augusto

At the moment I only have a picture. I've to say that maybe too much straddle leg lifts day after day it's not the correct way to go. I did tuesday my F1 workout with SLS/MN/SL and it was when I felt like a gymnast :D Yesterday, wednesday, I did want to try again but it not was the same, maybe I'm pushing myself to hard day after day. In any case, this is my try.

 

2dvtriv.png

 

Maybe too rounded, I don't know. Also I've a weird coccix, it's almost it was protruding outside. Coxxic is supposedly the ancient tail, but in my case its seems that that beginning of tail is still there. Because of that MN/PE1 put me in trouble back in the day, and also FL rocks at this moment. Anyway, the thing is I canno't sit more, because If I do, I loss my balance and fall fordwards. 

 

The other day I did much better compressions, but maybe two days in a row is too much. 

 

What do you think? I'll try to upload a video to better check.

 

Thanks in advance!

Jon Douglas
Adriano Flo said:

At the moment I only have a picture. I've to say that maybe too much straddle leg lifts day after day it's not the correct way to go. I did tuesday my F1 workout with SLS/MN/SL and it was when I felt like a gymnast :D Yesterday, wednesday, I did want to try again but it not was the same, maybe I'm pushing myself to hard day after day. In any case, this is my try.

 

2dvtriv.png

 

Maybe too rounded, I don't know. Also I've a weird coccix, it's almost it was protruding outside. Coxxic is supposedly the ancient tail, but in my case its seems that that beginning of tail is still there. Because of that MN/PE1 put me in trouble back in the day, and also FL rocks at this moment. Anyway, the thing is I canno't sit more, because If I do, I loss my balance and fall fordwards. 

 

The other day I did much better compressions, but maybe two days in a row is too much. 

 

What do you think? I'll try to upload a video to better check.

 

Thanks in advance!

Good height :)

That's not a bent knee, RIGHT? >: (

Adriano Augusto

I have genu varo on the legs because so many years of soccer in my childhood and sometimes it seems they are bent but they aren't :D

Murray Truelove
Adriano Flo said:

At the moment I only have a picture. I've to say that maybe too much straddle leg lifts day after day it's not the correct way to go. I did tuesday my F1 workout with SLS/MN/SL and it was when I felt like a gymnast :D Yesterday, wednesday, I did want to try again but it not was the same, maybe I'm pushing myself to hard day after day. In any case, this is my try.

 

2dvtriv.png

 

Maybe too rounded, I don't know. Also I've a weird coccix, it's almost it was protruding outside. Coxxic is supposedly the ancient tail, but in my case its seems that that beginning of tail is still there. Because of that MN/PE1 put me in trouble back in the day, and also FL rocks at this moment. Anyway, the thing is I canno't sit more, because If I do, I loss my balance and fall fordwards. 

 

The other day I did much better compressions, but maybe two days in a row is too much. 

 

What do you think? I'll try to upload a video to better check.

 

Thanks in advance!

It looks like you have a very tiny forearm but then I realised that was your left foot... I am not a smart man.

PanPomidor
Murray Truelove said:

It looks like you have a very tiny forearm but then I realised that was your left foot... I am not a smart man.

Not only you then ... it does look a bit like an arm with a glove showing how "OK" Adriano is with the PE2 :-)

Bipocni

His face is so serious.  This man means business....