Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to develop slow inlocate from hang on the Rings?

roman

This is a question mainly to coach Sommer, but of course if anyone else can contribute that would be greatly appreciated as well! I've always wondered how to develop the slow inlocate on rings from a dead hang... what would be the progression for that etc.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about (at 0:47):

5Manyrl3VMM

Thanks! :)

matthew.percussion

This is almost all flexibility. I have actually found that I can do this with just a little kick of my legs.

Do a lot of german hangs, relax in them to get your shoulders to stretch more.

Aside from that it's just a tiny bit of strength to get over the 'lump'(where you aren't quite flexible enough to go straight up).

there are two ways:

:arrow: flexibility

:arrow: strenght

I would recomend flexibility, for strang you must push rings down with great force just to egin rising and at some level you just turn your shoulders in.

I heard most of the guys don't like to do this because it messes with the shoulders. Shrug.

Not true. if you are flexibil enough or strong enough to do it with strength.

I agree with Gregor. The older gymnasts mentioned who prefer to avoid this movement have simply had improperly prepared shoulder girdles.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley

I agree with the flexibility part. I tried this last night at the gym and I was strong enough to get my back rounded and to started pulling myself up a little, but I just got stuck because of my lack of shoulder flexibility. One of my friends showed me the technique to do it off the rings and when I tried to mimic his movement my hands were forced about 3 feet apart while his hands stayed shoulder width apart when he rolled his shoulders over. He told me to do more bridging, stick dislocates, and german hangs to increase my flexibility all which I all ready do and I have notice an increased shoulder mobility over the past few months.

I think I will just try a slow inlocate every few weeks just to see how my flexibility is doing.

Hey! Thanks everybody for the great replies... I'll definitely work more on my flexibility from now on!

However, what exercises would be good to develop the strength for the slow inlocate?

Richard Duelley

The guy who showed me how to do them said that it takes very little strength is you are flexible enough. The less flexible you are the stronger you have to be. When he did the inlocate the rings stayed shoulder width apart and he did it with no effort at all (and I rarely see him practice rings or conditioning, he mostly sticks with ridiculous tumbling). When I tried it I had to try and pull the rings out to the point where my inflexible shoulders could roll through, which I was unable to do :mrgreen:

Good luck

I have one guy, my weakest who can dislocate out of a german hang without any problem. Weak pull and push and just about everything strength but great flexibility. Highly likely he could get into the bottom but not pull out of the skin the cat ROM.

One of my L4 last year could do this and was 7@42 pounds. He could also do an ok back lever with good overally strength but nothing stellar. Couple with his awesome flexibility, he could inlocate from hang to invert without trouble.

To end, if you have the flexibility you only need roughly the strength to skin the cat if you're gonna pike to invert or basket unless you were shooting to lever to there.

• 7 months later...

How about a pull up bar type thing? Like a p-bar, high bar, uneven, whatever. Spin over backwards then straighten out your legs. You'd be in the right position. Your arms won't separate if you hold on :D Pull it on up and BAM!

Video sample featuring me of course! If I went any farther then I would have touched the floor, and thus cheated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1H-LtxF-sE