Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Making the most out of each exercise session

mememe123

Hello people :)

After about 3 weeks of regular exercise, I'm starting to feel less satisfied with the results of my workout...

I decided to go looking (in google) for tips for getting the most out of each exercise session. By that, I mean pushing as far as possible in each session. That proved harder than expected

I know a lot of water before the exercise is very important, and sleep too. I'm guessing it's also important to pick the right time of the day.

I'm looking for any additional tips you can give me - pre-exercise nutrition, for example.

Also, How significant of a boost do warm-ups give? I don't really know much about exercising, and right now I barely do any warm-ups.

Also, I mostly prefer high-intensity work outs (I do pistol squats and pull ups, don't know any other high-intensity exercises I can do), since I'm very impatient (I've come to terms with the fact that results take time and hard work, but I can't bring myself to do a 30 minute exercise session without felling like I have to get the hell out after 10 minutes)

Eventually this type of 'impatience' will be a guaranteed injury.

Constantly needing the 'high' of high intensity workouts is an emotional addiction and is not conducive to long term gains.  In fact, it is the exact opposite.  Think of it this way; tires only have so much tread on them.  If you are constantly slamming on the brakes and skidding to a stop at each and every light, how long are these tires going to last?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 9

I cannot stress enough how much I dislike exercising. I can't stand spending too much time exercising, which is why I do high-intensity workouts, which, to my understanding, are a perfectly good way to exercise.

All i'm looking for are ways to get more out of what i'm already doing. I assume correct nutrition before exercise, and possibly warm-ups, are good ways to get more. But I don't know much about the subject.

I don't know if you think i'm taking the easy way out or anything, but I assure you I am not. I have some medical problems (nothing that should require special considerations when planning an exercise routine), but I don't want to bore anyone with the details. The point is - this is very hard for me, and being satisfied with what I achieve in each exercise session will really help my motivation.

Oh, and I'm very willing to risk injury.

It's not about going harder or easy ways out.

Calm down, you aren't being accused. A national champion and longtime national level coach is telling you that you are approaching this in a way that, hey, might work for a while, but will not get you all that far. And will probably result in that injury you seem pretty sure is going to happen. Why not take that free advice (that many people pay a lot for) for what it is rather than assuming you know better than this man?

And what if you can get the same or better results by doing easier exercises which address what you need, rather than haphazardly doing the hardest things you can think of trying to stimulate adaption?

Have a look at the results experienced by people like me doing the frankly basic exercises in foundation 1. I'm definitely not willing to risk injury despite being a person who enjoys training gymnastics strength for its own sake and often gets too ambitious with it.

If you have the personality that hates exercise then when an injury occurs ( it probably will by the sounds of it) the. You will be out of the game probably lose most of what you gained and have to start from scratch again which will inhibit progress and make you want to quit for good.

If you dislike exercise so much why not try a sport? Find something fun that gets you moving.

umm in roughly descending order at least for me:
Sleep, a good 8 hours

Nutrition, mostly vegies look at the perfect workout nutrition sticky for more into.
A pre workout ritual (mine is making a cup off coffee and getting myself in the right mindset, so now even if I'm tired and unmotivated I stick on the coffee and after 10 minutes I'm all ready to go)

Proper warmup

Supplements/protein shakes: never used these so can't really comment but other people say they work for them.

Contrast baths for recovery

Seriously though you don't need to burn yourself out every workout, I look for things like slight muscle gain, increased strength, increased wok capacity, reduced fat level, less tired at the end of the workout compared to the same routine previously.
After a while you get a slight rush upon completing a workout and that's pretty good.
If you're finding it that hard to get motivated maybe you're participating in the wrong sport? Maybe try a team exercise or something different, football, karate, climbing? If you really hate what you're doing you wont stick with it. Good luck with sticking with it though! :)

I am most definitely not assuming I know better than him, or anyone else in this forum for that matter. I'm just saying, I'd rather risk injury than do the easier, longer exercises.

I don't need any specific exercises (unless there is some kind of exercise designed specifically for someone with very little energy and poor sleep quality)

I think I might enjoy learning some martial arts, but I couldn't survive 10 minutes of a one-hour class. I also like sprinting, but not the stress fractures which always seem to come back when I start running again (I have recently started using minimalist shoes and reading about how to run correctly with these. Right now i'm only walking, but hopefully, within a few months I can start running and then sprinting)

And when it comes to quitting, I've tried the regular exercises and I've quit many times, because, as I've mentioned, I just can't stand them. In my experience, I've managed to hold on much longer when doing high-intensity exercises

I have to ask, why does everyone say it will eventually cause injury? is it not possible to do high-intensity exercises properly with the same risk as that of regular exercises?

Well, thank you for pointing me to the sticky - i'll go look for it right now (and I'll google "contrast baths" too)

one of my problems that I don't even come close to burning myself out. I feel perfectly normal after the exercises - about an hour after i'm done, my muscles fell almost as if I didn't do any exercise, even though when I work out, I do it until I feel I can't anymore.

Team stuff just makes me feel very uncomfortable and all I want is to get out of there. I've worked very hard to be able to get myself to stick to the exercise even though I hate it. and what I'm currently doing is, as far as i'm concerned, the easiest for me to stick to.

Also, I mostly prefer high-intensity work outs (I do pistol squats and pull ups, don't know any other high-intensity exercises I can do), since I'm very impatient (I've come to terms with the fact that results take time and hard work, but I can't bring myself to do a 30 minute exercise session without felling like I have to get the hell out after 10 minutes)

I don't think you understand what 'high-intensity' means.  Any exercise can be high-intensity, if done with high-intensity.  

If you're muscles don't feel fatigued, or worked, maybe it's because you aren't progressing with the movements.  If pull ups are too easy, try front lever progressions, or weighted pull ups.

Reading through the posts, you haven't defined what it is you're looking to achieve.  Strength?  Hypertrophy?  Endurance?   To "get the most" out of a work out to achieve either three requires different means.  

Keilani Gutierrez

I assume you're asking for an explanation, so here it is: am very desperate.

you got a lot of good representation here, having gone through the hurdle that you are right now and it's an on going one, seperating "what we want" with "what we think it should look like."

on a simpler routine, working within a range of you being able to work with quality ROM, control and tempo, you'll do exactly what you are setting out for which is results...don't think this is about "you" so much as it is a way of thinking that you're adopting that can easily be changed for another depending on how fast you really do want to get to the results. 

I trust Coach and his athletes and that's why I'm getting stronger, mobile with better posture. 

if you just subscribe to doing your part, which you show enthusiasm and energy to do it, you WILL get results. 

mememe, I don't think we can give you what you want, which is a shortcut.  Fitness is not something that can be attained in 10 minutes a day.  No two ways about it.  I agree with everybody else here on this one.  Maybe this reflects on your lifestyle.  poor sleep, fatigue, shin splints... I suspect you go about life the same way, always multitasking and not doing anything to it's full potential.  Slowing down and focusing on what's important to you will get you further in the long run. 

• Upvote 1

if you make an exercise a lot harder (trying a harder variant, using weights...), you will be able to do less reps, right?

and what i'm hoping to achieve is to have more energy and not to feel weak and exhausted all the time. Doesn't think the type of exercise matters as much as how difficult the exercise is and how long I stick to it.

I didn't ask for tips on my workout routine, I asked for tips on the things around the workout which influence it.

sorry If I didn't make that clear on the first post

I've tried attending to my weaknesses. I've went to many doctors who, after treating me for a problem I had couldn't explain why I haven't made a full recovery, and I've been going to shrinks for years. It isn't working.

And I am not struggling. I push myself hard, and as I've mentioned in the first post, I'm achieving less recently.People keep getting the impression I'm looking for help with the exercise I'm doing. I'm looking for general tips. I just mentioned the high-intensity thing in chase someone had a relevant tip.

By the way, just to clear it up, the poor sleep and fatigue have nothing to do with the exercises I do. But I guess I might have been impatient about the sprinting. but in my defense, I didn't know anything about preparing the body for sprints...

Anyway, I got what I wanted from spinelli. didn't notice that nutrition thread...

And my apologies. I understand why you think high-intensity workouts are a bad Idea, but I insist on sticking to it for my own reasons no matter what the consequences are.

I've been told this is a great source for information, but I understand people here aren't really into the high intensity thing...

Thanks for your help! for now i'll go look in a forum that focuses on high-intensity workouts. I was told this site Is a great source of exercise-related information. wasn't told much else...

FREDERIC DUPONT

I have good news, bad news and a suggestion for you mememe; here goes:

The good news: You don't have to exercise; it is not for everyone, and, reading your posts, obviously not for you. :)

The bad news: Although gymnastics can and will injure you if you don't practice properly, it is a very inefficient way to get there :)

Suggestion: Join the French Foreign Legion; they will remove all uncertainty about whether or not you should show up to train; you'll have a nice and strong environment to rely upon and make up for your weaknesses; they will also feed you, clothe you, shelter you & send you on nice cruises to foreign countries from time to time. You'll also get to chose your war name.

• Upvote 1

The last part makes me wonder if the "good news" part is sincere.

Instead of mocking me, I'd like an answer to the question I asked earlier:  As far as you're concerned, is high-intensity exercise always bad?

I've been told this is a great source for information, but I understand people here aren't really into the high intensity thing...

Really?  When people here train things like maltese and manna?  These exercises have like, a 20 second world record hold time.  That's a hell of a lot more high intensity than standard pullups.  We've got people here training victorians, which requires more strength than anyone in the world currently has.  Don't say we aren't into the high intensity thing.  We're just more into achieving real, measurable long term results than feeling like we're "working hard." 

Go do some crossfit.

• Upvote 1

geez, relax. if I understand correctly, you're talking about specific high-intensity exercises like the ones you've mentioned, i'm talking about the general exercise program being focused on less repetition and more intensity.

What I understand from the people here is that high-intensity workouts will get me nowhere, and I'm just trying to understand why.

didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. Or to go so far off topic for that matter. only one person here actually tried answering my question, everyone else seems to be criticizing me. I get that you guys don't like what I choose to do, but like I've said, I'm sticking to it for my own reasons.

If you're so much into achieving real, measurable long term results, maybe you could be kind enough to help me by recommending things like contrast baths mentioned here earlier, or pre-workout nutrition tips (I am now trying to read the sticky about it, it isn't easy) and let me make my own mistakes. Pretend i'm doing some workout that you would recommend, and help me get more out of it by influencing the factors involved in the efficiency of the workout and the energy during the workout.

Joachim Nagler

Seriously, check out the Foundation series here on this site.

The workouts are short and you progress from workout to workout which should help you with your motivation.

And you will get MUCH stronger in a safe way. 

geez, relax. if I understand correctly, you're talking about specific high-intensity exercises like the ones you've mentioned, I'm talking about the general exercise program being focused on less repetition and more intensity.

What I understand from the people here is that high-intensity workouts will get me nowhere, and I'm just trying to understand why.

Everyone's jumped on this because we all have pretty much the same experience.  We started training at the limits of our strength, hurt ourselves and had to start back over at higher volume training.  So we're all speaking from experience here when we tell you you're going down the wrong path.

It's about goal setting.  If you want to get stronger, you need to listen to strong people.  And you have some very strong people telling you you need to focus on higher repetition exercises.  You need to prepare your joints and tendons.  But if you don't enjoy working out, then don't.  No-one is forcing you.  You don't have to get stronger.

If you're so much into achieving real, measurable long term results, maybe you could be kind enough to help me by recommending things like contrast baths mentioned here earlier, or pre-workout nutrition tips (I am now trying to read the sticky about it, it isn't easy) and let me make my own mistakes. Pretend i'm doing some workout that you would recommend, and help me get more out of it by influencing the factors involved in the efficiency of the workout and the energy during the workout.

What you have to understand is that the program is everything.  No amount of supplements or pre-workout nutrition can make up for a bad program.  If you're not an olympic hopeful training twice a day six days a week, contrast bathing is worth next to nothing.  If you can't stand a half an hour workout, you probably aren't going to force yourself through ice baths. 

A decent program is worth its weight in gold.  If your sleep, nutrition and recovery are garbage but you have a great program, you'll do okay.  If you have everything else rock solid but a terrible program you probably aren't going to make very good progress.

I'm serious about the crossfit by the way.  They have 10 minute workouts that will make you puke.  These are the guys that brag about rhabdomyolysis, literally working at such an intensity they get life threateningly ill.  If you want to work hard, go thrash about with them.  If you want to work smart, learn about joint preparation, progressive overload, mobility, stability and form cues.

I'm sorry if it seems like we're all avoiding answering your question, but you're asking the wrong question.  We mean it in the nicest possible way when we say what you're trying to do isn't going to work.

Figure out what you really want to accomplish, and what it's going to cost to get there.  Then decide if it's worth it.  You can't game the system.

• Upvote 5

It's about goal setting.  If you want to get stronger, you need to listen to strong people.  And you have some very strong people telling you you need to focus on higher repetition exercises.  You need to prepare your joints and tendons.  But if you don't enjoy working out, then don't.  No-one is forcing you.  You don't have to get stronger.

My goal is to sleep well for once in my life. But I haven't heard of any special training program for that.

I'm doing everything the way that I know will help me commit (Sadly, the sleep-related effects of exercising take a few weeks) - I believe that is what will help me achieve this goal.

And being able to do more in each exercise session will definitely help me fell better about myself and thus help me commit. 

So I have a problem. You're telling me not to work out if I don't like working out. But I feel like I have to exercise. You're talking like I either have to spend at least 30 minutes exercising, and the only other options are doing some insanely dangerous and difficult workouts or not getting ANY progress.

I find It very hard to believe that it is completely impossible to make any progress (even the slightest) with only 10 minutes of exercise a day.

I'm not hoping to compete in the next Olympics games. I'd rather get slow progress going 10 minutes a day than do something that I know (from past experience) I can't stand doing and will only make me quit after a week or two.

You can talk about the importance of the perfect exercise program all you want. If I work out for too long all I can think of is "I really want to stop". and for me, too long is over 10 minutes.

And If I can do something that doesn't take much effort (like choosing the right thing to eat before the workout) and makes a small difference, it's better than nothing.

You can talk about the importance of the perfect exercise program all you want. If I work out for too long all I can think of is "I really want to stop". and for me, too long is over 10 minutes.

Suck it up. Anything worth doing requires hard work. If you lack the concentration and willpower to do something for more than 10 minutes, you're never going to get anywhere, either in your training, or in other parts of life. 

• Upvote 3

I already know most of this, but thank you. I don't think I have the will power to do too much.

In order to give my muscles time to recover, I work out on my arms one day, legs the next day, and I do mostly plank the day after that. and then repeat. Hopefully that's enough time for my muscles to recover.

I've been working on concentration and willpower for a long time. It's been a long time since I've tried doing a normal exercise, and maybe I can stick to 30+ minutes, but not for long.

I've tried to start exercising many times during my life, and I've always had problems sticking to it. That's why I've decided I'll do something that's relatively easy for me to stick to. My first priority is to make it into a habit.

If I can't make it into a habit, I'll just lose whatever I gain, if i even stick to it long enough to gain anything.

Based on this i've decided to do something I am more likely to be able to stick to it for 2 months (even though it seems to take longer for physical exercise, especially if you don't enjoy it, i'm guessing)

I'm almost certain if I started out with 30 minute exercises, I wouldn't last long (in the long term). But if I can do 10 minutes a day for 2 months, I am much more likely to persist even if I step it up after that.

It doesn't really matter if I don't actually get stronger with what I do meanwhile, but I would like it (and be more likely to stick to it) if I did see some progress, even small. WHICH IS WHY I'M NOT ASKING FOR HELP WITH THE EXERCISE PROGRAM ITSELF.

Daniel Burnham

I'll bite. The single best preworkot that I have found is caffeine. It's so effective it was actually a banned substance by the IOC for a while.

As far as high intensity and the like I feel it been beaten to death so I won't add more. A lot of people feel the need for a "burn" at the end. I even know people who will quit a productive workout program with gains made consistently because they feel they aren't working anything.