Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's boiling bones?

Joel Tomkins

They were beef marrow bones from a local butchers. No idea if marrow bones are any better, but i said i wanted to make stock/soup and its what he recommended. I did the pre-boil then stuck them in a slow cooker for 48 hours with lemon juice and left over veggie stalks and such

I'll give it a try. I guess its not really any different to using the left over bacon fat from a fry up to fry my eggs and toast (nothing can beat an english breakfast). 

Yeah I haven't been able to access guaranteed grass fed or or organic bones yet so the local butcher has been my source. I just ask for a marrow bone which translates to a shin bone at this butcher, with a joint left on at the top (bonus connective tissue). Quite a big bone so I get them to cut it in 4. You're in Australia right? Costs me $4 for comparison. 

Yeah I haven't been able to access guaranteed grass fed or or organic bones yet so the local butcher has been my source. I just ask for a marrow bone which translates to a shin bone at this butcher, with a joint left on at the top (bonus connective tissue). Quite a big bone so I get them to cut it in 4. You're in Australia right? Costs me $4 for comparison.

That sounds sincerely delicious. Yum, winter stews....

Matthew Proulx

Interesting topic, my mom used to boil bones when I was growing up, I just thought she didn't like to waste. I am going to start saving my deer bones and try this out.

• Upvote 1

That sounds sincerely delicious. Yum, winter stews....

It is! Although it's pretty much summer and has been for a few months here. Kind of takes away a bit of the experience I think! 

It is! Although it's pretty much summer and has been for a few months here. Kind of takes away a bit of the experience I think!

Speaking of which, I should really be packing... Heading back south for the winter ;) Canada ia great but getting a bit bleak for my desert blood already!

Colin Macdonald

Well, some might say one of the reasons to skim it off is it might contain unwanted impurities and chemicals.

Par boiling bones and constant skimming is really just a technique for making consommé. Unless you're really concerned about making a perfectly clear broth I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't see any reasons why toxins would float to the surface and congeal unless your bones are full of motor oil. And like coach said, most of that stuff can be taken off much more easily after refrigeration. And well made stock should also set like jello once it's refrigerated, if you haven't extracted enough gelatin it will stay liquid.

I also like to braise whole animals like rabbits and chickens, you get a lot of the same stuff as with bone broth plus tasty, super tender meat. And if you're lucky your butcher will leave the heart and liver in, now that's a superfood combination. Ossobuco is also great for braising. I also did a suckling pig hindquarter the other day that worked out really well.

Though I'm curious about the claim that super long boiling is somehow better or more nutritious. Does anyone have any concrete points on this idea?

Murray Truelove

This looks great! Ordered one of these to make it a little easier now to pick up some ox feet on the way home, hope I can get them from China Town:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/morphy-richards-48710-oval-slow-cooker-stainless-steel-35l/761-7784.prd?skuId=761-7784&pageLevel=

Another nice how-to: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3615609338/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth

• Upvote 1

Though I'm curious about the claim that super long boiling is somehow better or more nutritious. Does anyone have any concrete points on this idea?

Comes down to basic chemistry.  Water is a very good solvent, especially when heated due to the increased energy.  The longer you leave the bones in the solvent, or the greater the surface area of the bones, the more of the bones that will dissolve into solution.  You can also further increase the solubility by creating an acidic environment with the addition of a couple of tablespoons of vinegar.  I like to use apple cider vinegar myself, but anything will do.  I often use my bones for several batches, and by the third, so much has leached that the bones start to crumble.  great source of Calcium, Phosphorous, Pottassium etc. 

• Upvote 3

Par boiling bones and constant skimming is really just a technique for making consommé. Unless you're really concerned about making a perfectly clear broth I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't see any reasons why toxins would float to the surface and congeal unless your bones are full of motor oil. And like coach said, most of that can be taken off much more easily after refrigeration. 

That's what I meant by skimming off the fat. God I don't have time to skim it off as it cooks. Besides the half inch layer off oil on top gives a cool effect as the boiling water bubbles through it exactly like a dirty yellow lava lamp.

I boil them in about three rounds, until the water gets white and I can crumble the bones by hand.

I have my little freezer full of bones and stock...

By the way, adding fresh ginger, onion and whole garlics is also super nice!

Colin Macdonald

Comes down to basic chemistry.

I was wondering about more specific points regarding the potential nutritional benefits, not about the process of dissolving bones.

From my understanding for example, most people have more than enough calcium in their diet, but most of us lack the right vitamins like D and K2 to make sure it gets to the right place. Apparently magnesium can be a common deficiency, but personally I don't think it's a problem for me.

I love making stocks, I do it all the time. I was just curious if there's compelling evidence that I should be making them in way that encourages more mineral extraction.

• 4 weeks later...
Frankincensed

Cow foot (hoof + lower bone) make a good thick stick-to-the-ribs soup, but your butcher has to cut it up into cubes about two inches square with a diamond band saw. I tried cutting one with my radial arm saw once and it wasn't effective at all.

Jennifer Rodriguez

Pork trotters will do the same and they are easier to purchase and don't require any special butchering.    I usually add one or two to the pot depending on the size of the pot I'm using.

Cow foot (hoof + lower bone) make a good thick stick-to-the-ribs soup, but your butcher has to cut it up into cubes about two inches square with a diamond band saw. I tried cutting one with my radial arm saw once and it wasn't effective at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Daniel Burnham

Bone broth recipe:

3-4 pounds of bones roasted bones ( cut marrow and at least one knuckle is what I use)

1 onion (not pealed, just take sticker off and quarter)

Two celery stalks cut sliced

Light salt

5 peppercorns

One bouquet garni (substitute with dried bayleaf teaspoon of Tyme and one teaspoon of parsley)

I have been using crockpot but you can do it on the stove traditionally. Just make sure it stays covered with water.

Put bones in crock cover with water up to 7 quarts with bones included and set on low for at least 18 hours up to 30. After the bones have been simmering for a few hours add the vegetables and herbs.

Remove broth and strain.

Let set in fridge until fat is solidified. Remove fat before freezing or leave on as a seal in fridge

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

For chicken do same method with cleaned chicken carcass either left over or raw. Only boil for about 8 hours. I sometimes add feet to make sure it sets up into a nice gel in the fridge.

Daniel Burnham

Also good recipe for just about anytime. I personally eat it at breakfast.

Egg drop soup:

Heat broth to a simmer about 1.5 cups

Chop up about two stalks of green onion

Beat two eggs

Put green onions in broth

Pour eggs into broth slowly while stirring.

Enjoy! Doesn't get much more nutritious than this. Try this the next time you feel sick.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

The pressure cooker is also capable of turning the bones to complete mush. I put a full chicken in and the larger bones looked intact but just crumbled when you touched them. Some pressure cookers can be ran at higher pressures to speed things up further.

I think one some site somebody boiled bones in a normal pot for 48hours, yes 2 days, and they were still not crumbling like this.

Started cooking a fish stock (dashi) recently, very quick and easy to make and includes a good amount of minerals. MAde simply by heating a little seaweed and some smoked fish. 
It's used to make miso soup among other things. It's still something I'm experimenting with but have so far found the stock is excellent for cooking rice, 2 parts stock to 1 part dry rice leave on a low heat with the lid on, no need for extra salt or anything.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.