Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's boiling bones?

Joel Tomkins

I've got my second batch of Bone Broth bubbling away and I thought some of you might like to share your technique. Do you skim the fat/residue off the top? Do you use feet, ox tails, chicken frames? How do you know it's done? How much are you drinking/eating? How much acid do you add?

Cheers!

The Jaminets have a couple of how-to posts on their blog. They also mention how much they recommend you have :)

Broth 1

Broth 2

I cook broth from anything, but mostly beef and chicken. I get the bones for free, so it's pretty much anything.

I have a pressure cooker, which makes it all go a little faster. I first cook the bones, and then later add vegetables (roots but also fresh ginger and garlic is awesome). Differs.

Yeah that's basically where I got my info from, I didn't see any dosage recommendations though so I'll reread it!

Edit: Found it - 

• A bowl of bone and joint broth soup, 3 days per week (for calcium, phosphorus, and collagen)

Daniel Burnham

I have also been doing broths. Helps immensely with recovery. Nearly perfect thing for post training.

Sometimes I'll just drink it. Other times I'll make pho. I also use it a lot of cook my rice with.

I do this all the time with any bones I have lying around. I just chuck them in with any bits of meat and offal that are too small to really consider cooking, add an onion or two and some salt and pepper. Get a lovely stock which you can either just chuck some vegetables into or you can reduce right down then decant into an ice cube tray then freeze and whenever I need some instant flavour for something or want to make some soup I just chuck them in pan with some water and vegetables and hey presto!
Really is very simple plus the nutrition from the bones marrow are excellent, split the bones to get the most out of them and just hold them in some muslin cloth or sieve at the end to get rid of them

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

In all likelihood, bone marrow was "the real paleo" diet from Homo Erectus, to Neanderthal and Sapiens.

The little evidence we have shows that ancient humans were certainly not the top predators when they evolved from apes to humans over millions of years; they probably had to fight over what was left by the great carnivores. Bone marrow provides plenty of calories at little risk for self, and at a reasonable level (cost)l of exertion.

They would collect and crush the bones with stones and consume the marrow.

If that is the case, there is no doubt that it "helps immensely with recovery" as Daniel wrote, because we have evolved and adapted to this over many generations.

• Upvote 2

I boil bones for stew, because it's delicious. I just toss them in with meat from the same animal and a bucket of veggies.

• Upvote 1

I boil bones for stew, because it's delicious. I just toss them in with meat from the same animal and a bucket of veggies.

Same here. I like the idea of cooking rice in the broth though, good one.

I use everything that's left over from chicken/beef in my broths, together with your typical broth veggies and spices (onion, carrots, celery root, garlic, whole black pepper, thyme, parsley, bay leaf). So in essence, I make a bouillon.

First I just boil the bones and intestines for 30 minutes, wash it off, then cover it with water and have it on a very, very low simmer for 3-4 hours, during which I occasionally will skim the bubbles that form off the top. If you let it boil too quick on too high a fire, it'll be foggy. I let it cool off, pop in fridge, skim the fat off and freeze most of it.

- A friend of mine, formerly the Bulgarian Olympic Coach in the 70s & 80s, required his athletes to occasionally eat a bowl of soup made from this bone broth right in front of him.  He swore by it.

- As mentioned above, setting it in the fridge to cool and then skimming the fat off later is key.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Daniel Burnham

Funny this thread should come up now.  I am currently stocking (no pun intended) up on broths to use for many meals during post surgery recovery.  I don't know that it will speed recovery that much but they sure do make me feel better on regular training days.  I already have several frozen containers in the fridge.  I'm hoping to have several days worth of meals with just soups and stews.

I typically boil the bones several times as described on the Perfect health diet website (link above).  Its also a lot cheaper and tastier to make your own.  Try different stock recipes if you want to use it as a base for soups.

• Upvote 2

Anyone had any experience with bone broth (over other foods or supplements) for helping relieve tendonitis? Today I boiled up some meaty tendony beef bones for 8 hours and it was pretty tasty, so I'm going to try eating or drinking it regularly and see if its any help while stuck on a physio waiting list. I'm sure I read somewhere some anecdotal evidence for gelatin supplementation being helpful

Funny this thread should come up now.  I am currently stocking (no pun intended) up on broths to use for many meals during post surgery recovery.  I don't know that it will speed recovery that much but they sure do make me feel better on regular training days.

Based on all we've heard about your normal nutrition and the knowledge we've all gained here at GB I'd be surprised if you don't recover quickly!

Anyone had any experience with bone broth (over other foods or supplements) for helping relieve tendonitis? Today I boiled up some meaty tendony beef bones for 8 hours and it was pretty tasty, so I'm going to try eating or drinking it regularly and see if its any help while stuck on a physio waiting list. I'm sure I read somewhere some anecdotal evidence for gelatin supplementation being helpful

No experience here but it supposed to be good for joint health so I can't see why it wouldn't be at least a little beneficial for tendonitis!

• 3 weeks later...

Any good uses for all the fat you skim off? Seems a bit of a waste. Any good for frying stuff with instead of oil or butter? 

Any good uses for all the fat you skim off? Seems a bit of a waste. Any good for frying stuff with instead of oil or butter? 

Sure, use it for frying! Primarily if it's beef, though.

Well, some might say one of the reasons to skim it off is it might contain unwanted impurities and chemicals.

However if you are using bones bones from sources you trust,  and following the advice of the Jaminets (I.e. doing a pre-boil and rinse) then the Jaminets believe beef fat to be one of the best fats to use.

I haven't used it myself but I did fry some things with leftover fat from corned beef and it turned out delicious! 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.