Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hip Flexor Pain

Daniel Burnham

Daniel Burnham

Ok guys.  I've been forced by other injuries to take a break and really work on body line and getting any mobility issues in the lower body sorted.

The major thing is I have had on and off pain in the hip flexor.  I know other people have had the same including josh slocum.  I stretch the hip flexors pretty regularly but it doesnt seem to help.  The exact symptom i feel is a "slipping" of one muscle/tendon over another.  It happens relatively close to the surface so Im not convinced it is a join problem and I don't get deep popping.

I also have tight hips which I have been working on which tend to pull the toe outward a bit.  Anyone had this problem and solved it?  Ive tried everything I can think of short of going to get my soft tissue worked on.

Keilani Gutierrez

you know, funny you should mention those two specific things. something i've been using to monitor how my mobility is actually looking down at my feet when I stand and in what position they "fall" when i leave myself move naturally. when i move naturally, toes point out on my right foot. (my tight leg)

you might have to look at quad stretches. check this out, imagine you're laying supine on the edge of a table, your hip is at the edge, now do a PPT and let your legs dangle. you might see that the Rectus femoris gets isolated out as the only tight muscle and will show you clearly what your resting mobility is there. my knees in relation to my hips, are 3-4inches higher than my hip. now, how as far as solutions go, i'm not experienced stretching but have taken an active approach to rolling and soft tissue work to address my specific deficit and then go for the stretching mobility in F1 with better tissue quality.

i'd say roll the tension out of your shins, calves, quads(45 degrees in, middle and 45 degrees out) i had toes pointed out and for some reason had a -lot- of tension in my the outside of my leg, this includes my shins. just focusing on rolling those areas gave me back more control of my hip joint.

i'd also check out sPL iM's and SLS iM 4.

those are the only tools i've seen work on myself. maybe they'll help shed some light :)

Ok guys.  I've been forced by other injuries to take a break and really work on body line and getting any mobility issues in the lower body sorted.

The major thing is I have had on and off pain in the hip flexor.  I know other people have had the same including josh slocum.  I stretch the hip flexors pretty regularly but it doesnt seem to help.  The exact symptom i feel is a "slipping" of one muscle/tendon over another.  It happens relatively close to the surface so Im not convinced it is a join problem and I don't get deep popping.

I also have tight hips which I have been working on which tend to pull the toe outward a bit.  Anyone had this problem and solved it?  Ive tried everything I can think of short of going to get my soft tissue worked on.

I've been doing three things to help with my hip flexors: PNF stretches with lots of CR-cycles, using a rumble roller, and doing a bunch of hip-bounces every time I warm up. I no longer have hip flexor pain, though I often have hip flexor soreness from MN and SLS work. I haven't tried straddle body rocks in a while, so I couldn't say whether I still experience that 'slipping' feeling.

I also have a slight external rotation of my feet; on the right side especially. I think it's probably from fencing in high school. Nothing I've tried seems to help; I probably need to do some hip adductor work to balance things out.