Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Squat form

Connor Davies

Connor Davies

I've been reading Kelly Starretts book, and the squat section is starting to bug me.

1. The way I've always squatted I've had my feet directly under my shoulders, toes slightly turned out, with my knees tracking outwards over the toes.  This for me is the most stable and natural squat position.  I can sit deep in it for a very long length of time.  The only problem I've had with it is that my pelvis tucks under at the very bottom of the ROM which would be a problem if I had a bar on my back, but I don't do weighted squats.

2. Anyway, Kelly makes a good case for keeping your toes pointing forward (due to torque mostly) however he recommends a slightly wider than shoulder width foot placement along with actively pushing out the knees.  In all the demonstration pictures the knees are further out than the feet (also in the back squat pictures the model has turned out feet, but we'll ignore that.)

Problem is, this creates a real uncomfortable sensation in my ankle and I'm pretty sure it compromises ankle integrity.  I'm not sure of the specific term for pivoting the joint like that but it's not a good idea to load them up in that position, I'm sure of that.  Hasn't everyone heard the knees have to track over the toes?

3. So the only commonsense alternative I can think of to keep my feet pointing forward is to draw my quads up into my abdomen, which is a difficult position to balance in and requires a lot of active flexibility as well as dorsiflexion.  I don't feel like it's as structurally stable as my previous position, and would probably compromise me if I had a heavy load on my back.  But, I can generate more torque.  In my experience with external rotation during pushups, more torque is always better, so I'm loath to give it up now that I've discovered it.

So of the three squat positions, which one is the best?  Watching O-lifters snatch they have the knees very far apart, and they sit down between them, like in the first two squat variations.  They also wouldn't have to worry about the arch of their foot caving in or valgus knee collapse if their feet were facing forward.  However, the weird stress on the ankle makes me hesitate.  Also, I know the closer foot / knee position of the third squat variation is closer to a pistol squat.

This question is not just what is best for me personally but anyone else out there.

I feel some discomfort when trying to squat with feet forward, shoulder width and trying to externally rotate at the hips.

I have two areas I feel are stopping me from being able to sit in that squat stance, both at the top of my hamstrings and quads.

Do you find it difficult to get enough weight forward to stop you from falling backwards at the bottom? I feel like more dorsiflexion would enable me to get that weight forward but not sure if I just need more strength in upper legs. I really struggle to stop my knees from collapsing in. I don't know if you are having similar problems in option 3?

It is a good position if you have the hip/ankle mobility to achieve it. It sounds like you may be missing some ROM in ankle eversion if that causes you pain in the ankle. Check out this hip opener sequence from Starrett. The first of the six stages will be most helpful for building that ROM in your ankle. Concentrate on driving the knee out while pushing the ankle in as you push forward. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

But the "best" squat stance at any time is the one that doesn't hurt you, so if toes slightly out or a shoulder width stance feels better, then do that until you're able to find a way to get into the wider, toes-forward position.

• Upvote 1