Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would like tips regarding training situation...

James Portillo

James Portillo

Hey all. If anyone recalls from several months back I was the one guy who was joining the Marine Corps and wanted to continue GB training. I am currently in my schooling phase so I haven't yet hit the fleet but already the nature of this profession is sort of frustrating me due to lack of time and/or training style.

My question/dilemma is this: I currently own both H1 and F1 and want to continue training the cycles and progressions but being in the Marine Corps has made it a little inconvenient to stay consistent week to week. We PT almost every morning at 6am and usually it's more along the lines of metabolic conditioning/"circuit training" which usually consists of running, push ups, some more running, jumping jacks, more running, endlesss planks and crunches, running, firemen carries... you get the picture. That combined with the fact that the USMC doesn't believe in allowing more than 5-6 hours of sleep a night sometimes leaves me too drained to add-in two-a-days to keep up with my GB training. Because of this, my handstand progression has dwindled dramatically and now I struggle to push out 3 ring dips where as I didn't get tired til about the 7th or 8th rep.

As of right now my personal workouts (when time and energy permits) start with either a heavy deadlift or back/front squat and I finish off with upper body GB pulling/pushing. What would be the best course of action to try and re-incorporate F1 and H1 into my schedule? An average work day I get released from class around 5pm and have to bolt home to finish homework and/or study, then go to the gym, and then find a way to eat food because most of the time I come back from the gym here on base right when the chow hall closes.

Bryan Wheelock

Since you're already doing a lot of training load with PT, I'd focus on the basics:

Handstands

front lever, back lever and ring supports.

Maybe a set of two of deadlifts.

You can only improve if your body has a chance to recover, otherwise it just putting in a lot of effort for minimal return.

School won't last forever, until then, make that the priority, you really have no other choice.

When it's over then get back on the GB programs.

Until then, you're not going to be able to follow the cycles, don't fight it. You just have to be content with maintaining, or adding sets and reps at a slower pace.

• Upvote 4

James Portillo

Hopefully being in the fleet I can have a little bit more flexibility with f1/h1 sessions. As of right now though my sessions in the gym here are not consistent because of either how I feel/how much sleep I got (which is pretty much 5hrs or 6 if I'm lucky). One day i'll be in the gym and I won't be in there until 3 or 4 days later or I may get a couple days in a row. It depends because they have no set structure on the pt sessions. It's pretty much whenever they feel like "slaying" us. So then would my best course of action to just continue my really basic workout sessions when I get them in?

Keilani Gutierrez

if you can do anything, do the mobility. you'll benefit from it and you can enjoy joint health and a certain degree of freedom of movement so you lower the chances of getting injured. :)

• Upvote 1

if you can do anything, do the mobility. you'll benefit from it and you can enjoy joint health and a certain degree of freedom of movement so you lower the chances of getting injured. :)

This IMO. You can only change what you can change, and right now you can't change your situation to fit your training. So you have to do the opposite :)

Good luck in school :)

• Upvote 2