Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are the best exercises for core ?

iyankov_96

Hello Everyone,
The topic says it all... what are the most difficult exercises for core strength ?
I mastered the dragon flag ages ago and I can easily do 10 perfect reps. I do weighted hanging leg raises to 90 degrees with 12,5kg. Can you share some harder gymnastics exercises ?
P.S.I can not perform the front lever yet...

Thank you ! :)

Alessandro Mainente

Actually the dragon flags has in my opinion a bigger component of pull in respect to the core. 

Is possible to see your leg raise? are them performed over straight bar (very easy ) or on stallbar (hard version)?

The best core exercise is for sure manna, during it progression you can build an iron core and flexible shoulders.

• Upvote 1

alex87,
Why is the stallbar version harder ? I don't have one available so I use the straight bar.

Christian,
These look like front lever declines ?

I might start training manna...

Much harder than FL negatives as you can't lean into a proper lever.and have to muscle it out

First steps to a manna are support and lsit :) good place to spend your training time

Alessandro Mainente

Are harder because you are forced to stay with the shoulders under the hands distance. if leg raise are done on single bar you can counterbalance the movement by leaning backward and in that way engaging more the lats.

the idea of leg raise on stall bar is reduce at minimum the lats assistance so that the compression work is a core problem.

What about German hang leg raises? Would they give a similar effect as stall bar leg raises minimizing lats assistance?

Alessandro Mainente

the best similar version of stall bar leg raise are probably the headstand leg raise. during german hang probably you fail the completion of a set due to biceps soreness.

I think what B1214N means is to do Hanging leg raises in a German Hang - the flexion leg raise rather than the extension version. Sounds interesting, but I would have thought the lifting the legs will move the COG forward creating a bigger lever on the arm and bicep/brachialis, meaning they could become the limiting factor. You'll need to end up compressing horizontally to limit this lever and keep the COG back, and this will mean you will end up maybe reaching horizontal rather than vertical. Speculation though.

Could be a play movement though, rather than anything to train seriously.

Well yeah the biceps can certainly be a limiting factor for those lacking the biceps strength in the German hang leg raises. You can also use a pronated grip though. I've heard that doing leg raises in a German hang would lessen or take out the assistance from the lats so I guess that could be an alternative to stall bar leg raises. Mobility can also be a limiting factor here. I haven't tried them in a very long time and don't remember how they felt. I'll try them out tomorrow.

Speaking of best exercises for the abs/core, I think full ab wheel roll-outs would be among the best as I've heard from Jim Bathurst (Beastskills) and maybe even from Joshua Naterman if I remember correctly saying that the ab wheel roll-outs work the abs harder than any other exercise they've done. 

What about hanging leg raises on a straight bar, looking forward with relaxed shoulders - hence no lat usage? I can do 80% of the rep like this, but my active pike is limiting me.

Okay I just tried the German hang leg raises and they require some hamstring flexibility which I'm lacking there so I can't lift the legs to horizontal and above.

Overhead squats work the core harder than back/front squats.

Daniel Burnham

Didn't read the whole thread so it may have been said, but back tucks destroy the core. If you want abs so suicide back tucks or burpee back tucks. Some of the guys at my gym do these occasionally. Basically a burpee but you do a back tuck instead of jumping straight up. Needless to say you should be proficient with back tucks before attempting. Like you have stuck the last 100.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Backflips.  They will wreck your core if you go for high reps.

Not recommended unless you are an actual gymnast.

• Upvote 1