Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where am i?

Youssef Muhammad Wahby

Youssef Muhammad Wahby

Hi,

I am a 29 years old male, 170 cm, 68 kg, has been always fascinated by gymnastics but unfortunately never had the chance to seriously perform it.

In the past 10 years, i have been lightly exercising on my own, doing only calisthenics. I'd exercise 2 or 3 times a week, with various forms of pull ups, push ups and sit ups, and as for legs i only jog, and do some stretches, and back bridge.

I have been always light and fast. I learned to do very basic moves on my own like the flip up from the ground, and the forward flip (although it looks clumsy).

My fitness has always been average but always not enough for gymnastics. My arms can carry me easily in a hand stand, and i can press 20 times with my legs on the wall, but i can NEVER balance myself in a hand stand. I cannot at ALL do something like the planche push up, or getting down to a bridge from standing position without a wall or coming back up without a wall. It's like i don't have the muscles for that? I don't fin a certain muscle that when i contract it, it helps me even in my quest, no: nothing!

To wrap it up, the usual calisthenic routines, i can do without problems, and in great numbers, too, but i can't even do some of these mentioned positions? I kinda feel there is a missing link? No matter how i train in the usual calisthenic works, i have a problem with gymnastics foundations?

I recently started doing the P90X program, and i am doing it for the second time these days.

Now where am i standing now? What should i do? Were my calisthenic routines deffective and i need huge numbers to be efficient? Are there a series of physical tests to do to know what every part of my body is capable of? Am i overestimating myself? I really don't know!

Thank you very much.

Youssef Muhammad Wahby

Hey Adrien!

Thanks for the fast reply.

Well i really don't know my limits at this age, but i love floor gymnastics. That would suffice for me. All the moves, the freedom, the control, all of that is just fascinating.

Just to be able to do the moves with enough flexibility, agility and control would be great.

Right now the physical conditioning seems elusive. I want to build it so i can start developping the necessary skills.

Thanks.

Jean-Rene Losier

The obvious answer ( and the one EVERYBODY will most likely tell you ) is to purchase the Foundations program on this site. Then you'll finally be following a program designed to build your body up to what you seem to want. Not just being capable of doing 50 crappy dips that barely go under a 90 degree angle ( not saying this is you, but I've seen plenty in youtube "street workout" videos...). It was designed to be able to take to from nothing, to being able to do: Front levers, Straddle Planches, Hollow Back Presses, Rope Climbing, Manna, Side Levers and Single Leg Squats. All things that seem to be right where you want to go. You could also get H1 if you're really serious about improving your handstands ( It'll take you to being able to hold one for 2 minutes ).

One thing though, don't expect to be doing all these moves in a month. Enjoy the journey and don't be in a hurry. The fun part is in the journey, not the end destination.

Youssef Muhammad Wahby
"..."

Thank you very much :) Yeah i know it will take time for sure. I am not in hurry. It would take months maybe a year or two to be really capable. Thanks again, that was helpful :)