Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strained Elbows from practicing front lever and handstand?

Paolo

Yesterday, I've decided to diversify my GST by adding front lever and handstand. Right now, at the end of each planche training session or "rest day". I will do 10 sets of max advanced tucked front lever (usually around 15-20 seconds) followed immediately by 1 minute of wall handstands. I will rest between 3-5 minutes in between each set. The total amount of time I would spend for HS training would be 600 seconds while my advanced tuck lever time would be between 150 - 200 seconds. Right now, I just want to focus on my SAS before moving on to BAS. In the middle of my training though, I feel this pain in my elbow like it's being "pulled from my socket" or something like that. Also, I think I might be excessively locking out my elbows my wall handstand. After I went to bed that night, I woke up and I didn't have any pain. Do you think this current routine is beyond my limit at the moment? I just think it's odd since I don't feel anything in my elbows when I train the planche - no pain whatsoever.

Here are some of my FL attempts at various progression from a couple weeks ago. I will record some new attempts and post them here later:

I think I might add maybe 5 - 10 HSPU and 3 - 5 TFL rows before each static hold though if my body/elbows allows it. 

Coach Sommer

... Right now, I just want to focus on my SAS before moving on to BAS. In the middle of my training though, I feel this pain in my elbow like it's being "pulled from my socket" or something...

This is like deciding to work on your breathing by only focusing on exhaling.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Karri Kytömaa

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bit of nitpicking here but isn't that actually the way to train breathing? :P  Inhale is supposed to happen automatically but forceful exhale is something to practice.

Coach Sommer

Who said anything about inhaling?

My comment was meant to illustrate that this approach to training is shortsighted and unbalanced.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you Coach for your feedback. You're right - my approach to training the FL and HS is incorrect, and I'll need to do some further research to re-calibrate my training. My approach  with SAS only to BAS was somewhat "successful" with my planche training, but I guess it's not going to work out too well with FL training. Anyway, thanks again!

This is off topic, but I'm curious - how many of your athletes have successfully been able to learn full lay Erbs on pbars, floor, and rings for reps or even with ankle weights? Except for one of your athletes performing Erbs in a straddle, I haven't seen any other Erbs on YouTube. Also, why did you choose to name that skill, Erbs? These are questions that keep me up all night  :lol:

Coach Sommer

We named it after the athlete on my team who enjoyed them the most.  

They were a fun variation at the time, however as the years have gone by I have found it more beneficial to focus on hollow back and planche presses separately.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

You Will never Reach hs if you don't pair the hs hold with mobility that , seeing your hs, is the first aspect where you have to work.and second if you do no balance fl work with its appropriate mobility you will get bad body posture for hs work. Again to not fall into these problems I recommend to you the Foundation series.