Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How can you recover fast from straight arm work?

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

Hey guys,

Lately I've been focusing a lot on SAS work and what I noticed is that it's really hard to recover from it. At the moment I'm trying a lot of things to recover quicker from this. The things t hat I'm currently doing are:

- Fish Oil pills

- A lot of milk

- Showers with 1 minute very cold water and then 1 minute hot water X 5

- Stretching a lot

- Doing push-ups and other warming-up exercises to keep my muscles warm and keep the blood flowing.

That's basically what I could think of doing! I do this every day and I do notice a change, but maybe you guys know even better things to recover! I'd like to hear your thoughts on this! Thanks in advance.

Christian Sørlie

Ice bathing (not just cold showering) and arnica gel I hear people use.

But of course recovery can be helped but still needs to take its time. There's a difference between muscle, CNS and tendon/ligament recovery. Not that I'm very much good with the theory here.

Alessandro Mainente

Connective tissue recovery is paired with you staminal cells grouwth and blood supply.

I don't think there is the real possibility to increase these so that the healing difference ,manipulating some aspects, is sensible , i'm talking about 10 days compared wih 8-12 weeks.

For the rest you can adjust your training keeping the blood flowing high with the correct warm up (if you level does permit it) and adjust what you are eating. For example:

-glucosamine sulfate is prefered for the stimulation and synthesis of proteoglycan

-D-glucuronic acid is one of the 2 component that can made the hyaluronic acid that usually build up new bridges between new proteglycans

-amminoacids. the collagens fibers are made of long chain of amminoacid, one of those os the glycine, paired with the prevalents prolyne, hydroxyproline and hydroxylisine.

-vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant, injury situation or light injury (that is what happens after some intese training) is paired with high level of free radical damage. The E vitamin may reduces the damage activity of these radicals.

-ascorbic acid is requisre for the synthesis of collagen

-zinc , copper and manganese are necessary to induced the SOD, that is in simple words another antioxydant process.

-bioflavonoids, these are vegetals sumstances involved in the binding of elastin and prevent its degradation by elastase.

Btw two Forms of Tendon Healing may occur:
    - intrinsic healing occurs without direct blood flow to the tendon, this is all-life process but is strongly paired with your genetic level of vascularization of the tendon and of the muscles that involves tendons.
    - extrinsic healing is known to occur by proliferation of fibroblasts from the peripheral epitendon, unfortunately this second type is higher in young guy. at the end of maturation the proliferations and production of stem cells is organ-specific rather the pluripotent.

So you can understand why the vascularization is the dominat factor for non-young people. In addition to that consider that the normal blood supply of a tendon/ligament is 10 times lower in respect to a muscles. If in one SAS session you impose a stress that can damage a muscle, you can need 1 week to recovery in order to carry the nutritive substances in the site . The connective tissues associated need 10  times that. Ok you can wamr up good but you can't mainitain high level of blood supply for the entire day.

Adding that growth hormone production is bigger durin the REM phase of the sleep, so is important how you sleep and when you sleep.

The factor are very numerous. This is the reason of WHY the Foundations Series structure is a powerful tools to build up the joints gradually and to PREVENT througth preparation and not for treat unappropriate training.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) it's really hard to recover from it. At the moment I'm trying a lot of things to recover quicker from this.  (...)

Why such a hurry?

Sleep, eat well, follow the plan, do your deloads, learn patience. :)

There are no shortcuts!

Coach Sommer

Get stronger first.  

You are almost certainly not yet strong enough to focus on straight arm strength.

There are no shortcuts.  The sooner you accept this, the sooner you will begin to make solid progress.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Yaad Mohammad

Get stronger first.

You are almost certainly not yet strong enough to focus on straight arm strength.

There are no shortcuts. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you will begin to make solid progress.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Question, how strong must one get to start working on straight arm work? At the moment this is my current progress:

30 seconds BL

25 sec FL

10+ sec SL

6 sec SPL

This is my progress at all straight arm work exercises.

As for the icebathing, sounds really... Cold haha. I'll make sure I'll give it a try. Thanks for al the information Alex, that's a lot to take in!

Alessandro Mainente

Probably you should demonstrate mastery of those exercises with a video to be evaluated.

In this forum words do not count as much as facts.

Yaad Mohammad

Probably you should demonstrate mastery of those exercises with a video to be evaluated.

In this forum words do not count as much as facts.

Well, I'm not looking to prove myself, I'd just like to have answers to my questions. The only video I have uploaded at the moment is my OABL of 10 seconds. Might as well just post it here:

Edit:

Found some footage that I uploaded earlier for a friend. This is only a 17,5 sec hold. This was after a workout of one arm front levers:

Arms were locked and scapula retracted. I'll record my straddle planche as soon as I'm recovered.

Alessandro Mainente

don't worry my friend. You do not have to prove yourself, but be judged from people who has more experience of me as Coach.

I started GB work 3 years and half ago, and only a couple of months ago at the seminar i understood that i'm ready for something more difficult. But only because Coach said that to me.

His professional opinion give you a guaranty that you're ready.

Joshua Slocum

The fact that you take a very long time to recover suggests that your straight-arm workouts are too intense for your current level. The quickest way to progress would be to back off a bit on the straight-arm work. You can use the additional time to do more bent-arm work. 

What do we mean by saying SAS? Any gymnastics strength skill or movement done with straight/locked arms? If so then I consider Yaad's BL and FL to be very strong. He can even do a OABL for 10 seconds.

Yaad Mohammad

don't worry my friend. You do not have to prove yourself, but be judged from people who has more experience of me as Coach.

I started GB work 3 years and half ago, and only a couple of months ago at the seminar i understood that i'm ready for something more difficult. But only because Coach said that to me.

His professional opinion give you a guaranty that you're ready.

I understand! I'll post a video later this year performing the max of every straight arm lever move.

The fact that you take a very long time to recover suggests that your straight-arm workouts are too intense for your current level. The quickest way to progress would be to back off a bit on the straight-arm work. You can use the additional time to do more bent-arm work.

What do we mean by saying SAS? Any gymnastics strength skill or movement done with straight/locked arms? If so then I consider Yaad's BL and FL to be very strong. He can even do a OABL for 10 seconds.

Just a question, what BAS work has the least impact on planche work? Because at the moment I'm just so close to the full planche and I'd like to keep the progress steady like it is now.

I was wondering the same thing and thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that there's very little you can do if you're already 1) sleeping as much as you reasonably can, 2) eating as much as you can without unacceptable fat gain and 3) minimising external stresses that detract from your recovery.

Many other things can help but only in very small ways, but you can always out-train your recovery capacity. You will likely have to cut down on training one way or another if you can't recover properly from it.

Of course there are many pharmaceuticals which are of great use here, as well - but you may not wish to go down that road.

• Upvote 1