This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

the workoutlog of the Blairbob

Started by Blairbob, February 9, 2009 · 95 Replies · 15,917 Views

Blairbob

7-8

Woohoo, got my glide kip back again. In all honesty, it has been a long time since I have tried since I've been focusing mainly on stall bar leg lifts and V-holds. I think it has helped. Still bent arms a bit and probably could wait more.

Ring kip not happening, pretty ugly as I just can't push it out once I hit the transition. I need to stop my legs from dropping but it isn't happening.

Front handspring is very ugly so went back to front limbers.

Back lever seems rusty. straddle planche is high from a jump from sitting but I can feel it.

First workout in awhile, been trying to recover from weekend. Came home and actually went to sleep and had to go back to games.

On to CrossFitGames, hopefully I'll be working on the rings and HS acro next few days.

Blairbob

7-13 Did quite a bit of lever work on Fri-Sun at the CFGames besides muscle-ups, cross trainer work and PB support swing to HS.

I also managed to sneak in a set of 225DLx24. My grip failed and I couldn't make it to 30. Legs were sore but just couldn't hold on any longer and chalk was used besides a mixed grip. Made my glutes sore the next day.

7-13

90 minutes or so of gymnastics. Warmup, FX, with some HB and Mushroom. Kinda tweaked my left shoulder on a glide kip and it was downhill fast from there.

Later, at home instead of returning to the gym for strength and leg power training:

5 sets of L-sit to tuck planche coupled with ice-cream makers/front lever to pullups. Reps were 3's for the 1st and 5 for the second.

Straddle L for 3x10s and 3x3 of HeSPU and press HS on wall.

Blairbob

8-7

Workout at home.

Warmup usual stuff some yewkies ( seemed too ez not enuff ROM in PU? ), chest roll to HS, fingers turned back dips ( like koreans with arched body ), front lever pulls, front lever straddled pullups that were poorly done, HeSPU from HeS ( felt way easier than they usually do ), free HeSPU ( felt pretty ez ), press to HS.

4x3 of wide arm L pullups

1x5 of russian L dips that didn't work out correctly. During transition my heels hit the floor in the L. L-dips too ez.

1x7 of fingers turned back, arched body like Korean dips. Still prob too easy.

1x3, fail on 4 of HeSPU, 1x6, fail on 7 of HeSPU

tabata 8r of tuck jumps for metcon

33-27-26-24-24-23-23-24 easier than I thought, not in suffering afterwards

attempted HSLL and did basically 2x3 negatives, 1 round of bent arm HSLL, did 1 round of 7 HeSLL

10 wall slides, 5 cuban presses

musclemilk post WO since I didn't feel like going to get tacos. Yuck.

Dreadrok

welcome back to working out :D:D:D:D

that workout looks pretty fun..

your schedule stabilizing more these days :?:

Gregor

EAS stil makes Muscle Milk?

Blairbob

Better start logging stuff. Been logging over at CF.

Anyways, Monday 8-24 I did a short gymnastics workout till I found out my left elbow was tweaked. Basic support work wasn't feeling good, especially on rings. Pretty much wrapped up after that and workout was basically some tumbling and rings stuff. I did do a gymnastics workout the week before but 3 out of the 4 days was CF-ish stuff or tabatas. There was a Tuesday with DL and gymnastics stuff last week.

Blairbob

8-25

Went to CFPlacer, my friend's garage gym.

7+9 mile bike ride there, bus ride in between. 16+ on the way back since I got lost on the way but also took the bus for a few miles when I got close to the gym.

5 rounds of

15 box jumps 24-29 inches (originally it was supposed to be 32 but that wouldnt have been able for me, but perhaps Justin at 6')

15 Push presses 2x35lb DB

15 kipping pullups (round 4 became 2 or 3 at a time)

400m run

36.xx ehhck.

Blairbob

Wednesday: off day but did some foam sword sparring with friend on his bday.

Blairbob

8-28

Some HS and HS presses, attempts at PB swing but right wrist is kinda messed up for some reason. Some various stuff in classes. Need to do more rope climb as exerting that much pressure in gripping it hurts which means i need to climb more.

3 rounds of:

5 invert hang to pullup ( sort of like an ice-cream maker/front lever pull )

1 eccentric down to 10s Wide-Arm Japanese Y-HS hold against wall balance checking

3 HS>Y-HS>HS

10s V-hold+3 HLL

3 rounds of 50lb SLS 3-4-5

3 rounds of 5 HS straddle press downs.

Blairbob

8-28

Some HS and HS presses, attempts at PB swing but right wrist is kinda messed up for some reason. Some various stuff in classes. Need to do more rope climb as exerting that much pressure in gripping it hurts which means i need to climb more.

3 rounds of:

5 invert hang to pullup ( sort of like an ice-cream maker/front lever pull )

1 eccentric down to 10s Wide-Arm Japanese Y-HS hold against wall balance checking

3 HS>Y-HS>HS

10s V-hold+3 HLL

3 rounds of 50lb SLS 3-4-5

3 rounds of 5 HS straddle press downs.

Blairbob

8-31

Gymnastics workout about 1.5 hours long. Went home and didn't finish strength conditioning.

Blairbob

9-1

2 hours or so of gymnastics. Kinda lollygagged last hour since I let myself get distracted with other people showing them stuff.

5 sets of ring HS and 3x3 of muscle-ups from seated L. Last set was non self assisted on rings from garage/attic hole hung on wood closet pole/bo staff.

Tuck planche was not happening so did planche leans.

10s planche lean+10 bulgarian pushups on rings first round and 5 pseudo planche pushups on last 2

10s adv tuck BL+ 5 false grip tuck front lever pullups

10s adv tuck FL+ 10 V-up momentary V-sit

3x5 SLS jumps+floor glute ham

3x5 sets of HeSLL

shoulder mobility

Blairbob

9-2

tabata air squats

20-17-16-16-16-15-14-15 a bit hard to read ipod screen as it goes dark

legs got tired out vs getting winded

Blairbob

9-3

2 hours of gymnastics including some tumbling. felt very tight and took about an hour to start feeling warm.

tried and did front lever circle pulls which were really cool and people thought they were cool. very tiring for 3 in each direction, slight pike/hollow. speed rope climb to top with 2 ropes. some success in Y-HS on floor with balancing but pressing was easier on tuesday. threw some ugly side flips but at least I finally did them so I can start working them again as confidence builds up.

3 sets of

10s tuck planche+5 bulgarian dips

10s straddle back lever+5 false grip pullups

10s adv tuck open FL+5 HLL on stall bars

3 sets of HSLL stuff

tried to do straddle L with one hand on each side of leg and will have to do this after warmup because was just too tired.

did 3 sets of first manna progression and straddle-L on beam for 10s

3x45s of basket pike stretch against stall bars. this may have been cause of lower back soreness since Friday ( or the tumbling such as back whips ).

Blairbob

9-4

attempted to workout with Erik as he was the only boy that showed. Very slow warmup. Lower back is very tight that even rolling back to deck squat and standing up was not happening until I used a panel mat. Lots of falling over in HS to bridge as legs gave up once pressure in my back.

couldn't really tumble, cartwheel and round-off are very sore.

eventually did some bucket circle work.

conditioning was:

3 rounds of 3 MU (self assisted)

3 rounds of

planche lean

straddle back lever

adv tuck front lever

had to end shortly and was too tired upon getting home to finish up accessory work.

Blairbob

9-6

felt good enough on saturday to train MA for 3+ hours.

9-7

made it to gym to do a lot of stick SLDL and GM 3x10. 2 rounds of straddle swings on rings, baby pike swings on rings, baby pike support swings on PB, some floor HS (honestly I just don't feel like standing much). Ring supports aggravate left elbow still and right wrist is still sore but workable, sorta.

1 set of SLS on beam with leg hanging down. I can jump fine but walking isn't too comfortable though I can walk at normal gait. Same with bending over. Managed to do a deck squat with some effort but lower back is still tight.

Front lever pull puts lots of load on lower back so I skipped any more levers.

Wanted to do a metcon but what with? Still felt very winded and tired overall. Call tonight mobility work and call it done.

Blairbob

Dates were wrong. 9-6 was 9-5 and 9-7 was 9-6.

Skipped Monday, felt lethargic and needed rest.

9-8

Some HS work, some PB upper arm swings, some small swings on rings. Pistols not gonna happen.

6 rounds of 10s static holds:

tuck planche spotted on swiss ball(right wrist wouldn't take weight on parallettes)

1/2 lay back lever

open advanced tuck front lever

3x5 of:

HSPU on parallettes, head just below hands.

Inverted pullups/body curls.

Basket hang to German hang.

Attempted 65lb on shoulders SLS leg hanging down and got 3 negatives. 5 Ido Portal shrimp SLS. 4 heavy beam DL.

3x15s of ring support turned out

3 Y-HS freebalancing off wall

Looking back on it, I should've skipped the lower body work since I think that's what retarded my recovery on Tuesday night and Wednesday. Lesson learned.

No metcon on Wednesday. Perhaps upper body/midline work tonight. Would be ok to just skip again and recover.

Blairbob

Spent weekend of 9-11>13 extremely lethargic which may have been body's way or staying low as I was pretty ill on Monday and Tuesday.

Did a 1.5hr workout on the 14th and was very ill on the 15th. Spent Wed and Thur recovering though I wanted to workout Wed bad. Began WU on Thur but had to teach adult class unexpectedly and just went home after that. Had wanted to do something low volume either day to get back into the swing of things.

9-18

Still a light workout fairly as intensity was low for lower body. Played with some HS on floor and it felt better than Monday when it had taken a lot of play on tumbl-trak before I could take it to FX and parallettes. Was a no-go on Monday for supporting PH/PB a few times but ok for brief periods tonight.

Warmed up with some wall HS balancing and jump press HS and ring support holds and a ring series of L press HS>BL>FL.

5 rounds of: (w/ 5m rest in between)

Attempted L press tuck planche on rings and it was laughable. Maybe shoulda tried a few more times.

L hold press to tuck planche for 5s. Opened up towards advanced tuck/flat back tuck planche somewhat. Felt really good but wrist was getting sore by 5th round. Felt great.

5s negative BL with 5s hold and pull out. First was a doozy but became easier. BL was a bit high I think till the last 2.

5s straight body FL to about 15+ degrees off vertical, hold for 5 and pull back and lower and hold for 3s.

Was gonna combo ring HS with MU but would have had to reset rings.

4 rounds of:

bent arm seated L MU with 1 ring turned out dip+1 bulgarian dip. Last 2 rounds had to seperate dips and MU with coming down. Started to tweak left elbow so gotta watch out.

3 rounds of:

10s ring HS rings parallel but not turned out yet.

5 SLS on each leg while standing on bar stool. Tough on last round as free leg started swinging as assist.

3 5s floor glute ham with assisted pushup and glute ham raise from floor. Ouch.

10s seated straddle-L hip flexor hold. right wrist weenied out while trying on chair.

10 single leg glute bridge with 10s hold at end. Interesting, felt something pop and loosen when doing it on my right leg and loved it since that is the funky leg. Can't wait to try this with weight.

60s knuckle pushup plank hold. Did it cause DanJohn said I should.

shoulder scarecrows and wall slides and 30s bridge with 15s head bridge

45s hip flexor lunge (back foot flexed increased hip flexor stretch) and 45s half front leg split stretch on both legs.

2-3m shoulder extension stretch.

1m or so pike and hamstring stretch.

Blairbob

9-20 a ****load of bike riding 2x20mi, 4+ hours of heavy lifting and another 10 on my feet. Helluva day.

9-21

did a 90m gymnastics skill training session. wrist is pretty good on PH and PB. worked mostly swings before I ran out of gas.

a few hours later went back and worked bar kips and attempted a few standing backs. no legs and went to hands and knees (and face). tested SLS and depthy plyo jump and had notha.

4 sets, 10s

tuck planche/advanced tuck planche+4-5 pseudo planche pushups. 1st rest was real hard, next 2 weren't.

attempted single leg FL negatives and still out of scope if I want to go flat horizontal, ended with 10s adv tuck FL+5HLL

basket to back lever with no pull to straight. ouch. 3 CTB hollow PU. sucks doing BL at end but didn't show any noticeable increase in FL due to swap.

3 rounds of:

10s V-hold, 5 bent arm HSLL(then 5lb weighted HeSLL, then 5 straddleHSLL), 10s straddle hold

2 stretches of basket

stretching and done

Skipped Tuesday because of no damn good reason really.

Jacob Marks

Blairbob,

I have read in some of your post about your coaching. I was just wondering what gym you coach at what your first name is. I am Jacob from PA and Head coach a small boys program. I have been using Coach Sommers training advice since 2005 where I met him at JO Nationals in Houston. I was hoping to establish some relationships with more experienced gymnsatics professionals. I know Coach Sommer is very busy in his work I was hoping to get some advice on Future Star training and what type of schedule is used to prepare such athletes. Region 1 is definatley a national power so I respect any advice you have.

Thanks for your time

Coach Marks