This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

the workoutlog of the Blairbob

Started by Blairbob, February 9, 2009 · 95 Replies · 15,917 Views

Blairbob

Skipped the workout last thursday on the 30th ( went to go see Wolverine after work ) and was traveling on Friday to South Bay.

Played on rings a bit on Saturday which aggravated my chest a bit besides judging at the NorCal Games Qualifier.

Did the Sunday workout in the afternoon after playing at the OHS station doing cleans and OHS. As rx'd in 32:40. Fairly miserable as CTBPU became sets of 1's. Did the DL pulling to the top and dropping ( easier than up and down because of no eccentric phase and the smaller TUT ). Farmer's walks really sucked as did the thrusters afterwards. Clean form seems better.

Sunday Day 2 NorCal Games Qualifier workout:

"Catch 22"

22 DL@315 ( only need to pull to top and show extension )

run to short hill, pick up 45lb DB in each hand and walk up short CFGames hill to

22 thrusters and then walk down and drop off and

run to PU station and do 22 CTB PU. One caveat, bar was wet. Then...

run around back and up big *** hill to OHS@95 for 22r and run down.

Finish and go ransack food station for watermelon and tritip and salad.

Very little milk this weekend.

Blairbob

Mon 5-4

3 rounds with 90s rest between giant sets of:

Straddle BL for 10s followed by 4 CTB hollow PU

Tuck Planche for 7s followed by 3 negative full ROM HSPU for 7s each

Adv tuck FL for 10s (ez) followed by 4 HLL.

Support swings on PB still are uncomfortable and definitely not happening on PH. Gonna lay off for another 2 weeks, I think. Support on single rail, ok but no even beginning the dip. Did a bunch of HS stuff to WU like HS press downs on wall, walking, jump presses from tuck and press from straddle stand.

Negative MU from shoulderstand wasn't gonna happen on rings so did the negative HSPU. I want to train the CTB PU and the full ROM HSPU. Attempted to do 3s V hang and then HLL and it's not gonna happen. Gonna have to train V-hang before this stuff.

Ended with a set of:

clean DB, PP to back, PP to rack, PP, strict press, PJ. 5x

15 hold one DB above DB and swing other from between legs and switch at top.

15 box jumps.

Shoulder mobility. Bridging stuff.

Blairbob

5-6

Wed, tested 9 skin the cats full ROM on SR but couldnt get rep 10 in to tie Erik. Grip fail. 5s BL that hurt chest later.

5-7

Definitely gonna take 2, possibly 3 weeks and lay off ring and support stuff ( still doing HS stuff ). Spotting seems to aggravate chest as well as heavy breathing, sleep position, etc.

3 rounds of 5 HS presses against wall ( straddle, bent arm and straight arm pike ) and 3 rounds of 3 negative 10s(?) HSPU on parallettes.

3 rounds of 4 hollow CTB PU + 5 Ice Cream Makers ( pullup to FL rocking ).

3 holds of 10s V hold ( stall bars aggravated shoulders ).

3 rounds of 5 Heavy BS using 5m rest periods

3 rounds of 5 jumping SLS +5 floor glute ham negatives with pushup assist up 3m rest periods.

shoulder mobility

Blairbob

5-8

6 rounds of AdvancedTuck FL and Tuck Planche, 10s+ and 5-7s.

6 rounds of 10s straddle L on a beam and 2-3 ( 3 for the 1st 3 rounds, 2 for the last 3 ) of wide arm L pullups.

tried FL row earlier and it aggravates chest.

Blairbob

5-11

4 rounds of

10 depth jumps of 5'

30s of jumping deck squats ( 9/r )

down and back on tumbl trak of wallabies ( hopping in push up position ) 20-30 feet.

Each round is 3-4m

Was about a 2hr workout with all the stuff I did before.

3x3 of HS pressdown in straddle, pike and bent arm pike ( 1st 2 rounds were down on wedge mat and last was down on wall with parallettes ) followed by 3 negative parallette HSPU. coupled with 3 rounds of V hold of 10s on stall bars with 3 quick HLL.

Bunch of more HS stuff, walking and pressing.

3 rounds of tuck planche and adv tuck lever. Some more pulling with rope climbs, weighted PU, CTB PU.

3 rounds of straddle L for 10s.

Shoulder mobility and pike stretching

Blairbob

5-12

6 rounds of tuck planche and adv tuck lever

4 rounds of CTB PU 5,4,4,3.

3 rounds of heavy DL 4-4-4 coupled with 21-15-9 2x25lb DB thrusters with 3m of rest between each. Ugh. DL grip was failing I think due to CTB PU.

mobility work.

Blairbob

5-14

quick workout of GB WOD because of limited time. No WU, no basics work.

3 rounds with 90s rest between giant set ( too much prob ):

straddled BL for 10s + 5 tops Pulls

tuck PL on parallettes + chest roll to planche ( ugly, archy but still ugly whether attempting to tuck or straddle-got better as I continued )

adv tuck FL for 10s + 5 V-up to V-sit. V-sit is still 45 mebbe but was momentary at best due to momentum.

Later on...

243 Air Squats in 10 minutes at home because I had to jet out of work. Ugh, like distance running boring and challenging to keep going on. Had some thoughts at stopping at 150 or 200 or 225 or 4 or 500 but figured just go till 10m was up. Tempo evened out probably after rep 40 ( no WU either so hip flexors were feeling it ). Quads have been feeling it all day. Good sweat and easy to do at home.

Blairbob

5-15

4 rounds of

10s ATFL + 5 LL on wedge mat focusing on pike compression

5-6s TPL + ( r1-1 fullROM HSPU on wall, r2-3 negatives full ROM, 3 full ROM piked body on block last 2r )

rest 3m after each. I could do 1 full ROM HSPU on wall but 3 fails the following. this progression is beyond. piked body on parallettes doesn't have the form I think it should. I will need to film or mirror it and may need to go back down to elevated HeSPU.

3 rounds of false grip pullups to chest (3) + 3 slow PB dips ( trying to get back into them ).

3 sets of pike press HS on wall and parallettes against wedge.

Blairbob

5-16 Moved a lot of stuff for 4 hours+ for my friend. Quads were still gumby gooey from the Air Squats. Really sucked and was hilarious to go downhill.

5-17 25-30 mile bike ride to storage with about 10 miles of it being weighted by about 20-25 pounds of computer parts.

5-18 took it off since I was up all night on Sunday testing parts to get my computer back to work and test my friend's system parts. thought about working out but just felt funny ( due to about 3 hours of sleep ).

5-19

4 rounds of

tucked BL ( yes, easy but adv tuck aggravates my breastbone ) for 10s +3 CTB strict hollow PU

tuck planche on parallettes for 5s +3 full ROM HSPU on parallettes with hips piked on box

advanced front tuck lever for 10s + 5 straddle leg lifts to invert straddle L

2-3m of rest per round

3 rounds of heavy beam DL 8-8-8 about 4m of rest per round

45 thrusters with light beam. legs didn't feel it but upper body was getting way tired just holding it. did them in a row in about 2:40. Weight is 65-100 pounds. Hard for me to tell because of its length and when I'm tired, seems about as heavy as some of the kids I spot around 80 pounds.

Blairbob

5-20

5-21

Wednesday really sucked. Damn DL I blame. Brain felt funny and had weird bouts of hunger and lack of energy. Seems DL kick in just around 18hrs post.

Shoulder mobility

6 sets of nearly 10s V-hold on stall bars. 45s rest used.

Bunch of HS work, 65 feet of walking forward, about 10 feet of walking backward and about 5 jump presses from kneeling and 5 straddle press HS and 10 static HS from a lunge. 2 sets of swinging on PB in upper arm and support and stride swing on PH.

About 5 or 6 momentary to 3s hold on rings. Still a bit of discomfort, sucks but I think I'm going to have to rebuild this from scratch.

3 rounds of:

Tucked BL for 10s followed by frisbee drag backwards in back support for 40'.

Tuck PL for 5-6s followed by 5 HeSPU against block.

Advanced Tuck FL for 10s followed by legless rope climb for about 10 feet and 5 feet down before jumping down.

Chest is getting better with dealing to pressure in BL. I think some minor stimulation is good for it so long as I am careful. I can Advance Tuck BL but it irritates after 3s. Rope climb kills grip, hands not used to it. 5 HeSPU was not max, did 7 after some work on Tuesday so it may be 50% or less of max rep.

Used about 1m of rest between the giant sets with some rest (15-20s) after the static hold.

6 sets of 3r, near miss on last rep with 45s rest periods of Hollow CTB PU. This should have been done in combo with the V-hold but wasn't.

3 sets of heavy beam BS. This sucked. I blame it on abnormal amount of bike riding today or maybe just not having BS heavy in 2 weeks. Prob that 2.

2r on the first round with about 3 fails. It sucks having to start at the bottom and push it out.

5r on the second round with a break halfway.

5r on the third round in a row.

10s straddle L hold followed by

3 straddle presses against cheese mat on 1st round.

3 pike presses

3 bent arm pike presses with hands on floor instead of parallettes.

weighted pike stretching and more pike stretching. shoulder mobility.

I think I will start some new programming tomorrow. Metcons at the end of each workout but still GB inspired/focused with DL on Tu and BS on Th. 1 proper CF workout on weekend and hopefully some sprinting ( need to find new track, maybe AR and have free weekend to do it ). Need to start skill workouts before coaching when time and life allows.

I think I will alternate HSPU and dips 2x a week but work CTB PU alternating with false grip PU ( deep pulling movement for MU ).

2 days will be the statics+isokinetic combo and the other 2 days of just statics for 60s with isokinetics afterwards or in a circuit.

Finish off with HS presses against wall and straddle L work 4x a week.

Play on rings working back up to it. I can still MU on rings but staying there just ain't fun.

If I manage to start doing skill training, I will end that with strength series conditioning as skill work.

Occasionally I still want to work on LPU or wide arm LPU or weighted pulls/dips and chest roll to HS and Hes to tuck planche somewhere.

Blairbob

5-22

Tonight's workout sort of got derailed since I couldn't get back to the gym. Gym will probably be closed Monday so I won't be able to get there till Tuesday.

I did find that the opening to the attic works good for pullups and front lever but not for back lever. The park monkey bars should work of for that.

Two barstools work decent for dips and for doing tuck planche on.

Warmed up with some HS in the garage. About 10

6 sets of tuck planche and advanced tuck front lever. 5-6s for the first hold and 10s for the second position.

4x5 deep dips and pullups to chest

1 set of 5 straddle presses against wall, fail on 5th while lowering so I couldn't lift out of bottom.

2 sets of 5 HeS presses on bed as I couldn't do HS press against wall. ( jacks up my wrist too much without parallettes against wall )

no straddle L work unfortunately.

Blairbob

5-26

HS/skill work

6 rounds of adv tuck BL, adv tuck FL, and tuck planche

3 rounds of 5 CTB PU and 6 HeSPU

3 rounds of 8 DL.

3 rounds of 10s V-hold and Straddle L-hold followed by 5 straddle HS presses, Pike Presses, and bent arm pikes presses against wedge on parallettes.

Blairbob

5-28

HS stuff/skill work

3 rounds of:

advT BL + 5 CTB PU

tuck PL + 10 PB dips

advT FL + 5 HLL

metcon of

1 rope climb, 10 HB casts to horizontal, 5 50lb weighted box jumps, 5 floor glute ham lowers+ back extension

3m rest in between

2:43. 2:48, 2:53

managed to get 1 round of 10s V-hold, Straddle-L, and HS presses but was toast afterwards.

Blairbob

5-29

10 rounds of

tuck planche

adv tuck FL ( more extended than typically )

1/2 lay BL

6s each, started off with 45s rest but bumped to 1m, possibly need more since planche work kills

5 rounds of

CTB PU 5-5-4-4-4

HeSPU on wall 6-6-6-6-6

BS 5x5 attempt 5-6-6-5-5

3 rounds of 10s V-hold+pike press HS on wall, Straddle-L+ straddle press HS on wall. 3 reps per each press

Blairbob

6-2

Took Monday off due to lack of sleep from Sunday night due to having to work on computer all night because of stupid HD hibernate issue. Meant to just take a nap and ending up totally crashing out.

HS stuff to warmup and ring swings. Lower back was really tight probably from lack of sleep past 2 nights. Haven't been able to walk in HS decently for a week now, just off.

4 rounds of 5-6s holds. 1m rest before planche and 45s for the levers. A few breaths before accessory exercises.

Tuck planche+4 HSPU stomach to wall on wedge mat. I'm lazy and didn't want to walk across the gym to the wall space ( especially as I think the ground is uneven ).

1/2 layout ( bent knees back towards butt ) Back lever +4 CTB hollow PU.

Advanced tuck Front lever + 4 stall bar HLL.

rest a bit

DL 4-4-6 uck, not a DL day I guess. form had to break for rep 6.

3 rounds of 10s V-hold on stall bars, 10s straddle L on low beam and 5 HS presses against wedge mat on parallettes using pike, bent arm pike, and straddle L. More shoulder mobility.

Blairbob

6-4

HS and other stuff to WU. Recently been putting in HS to bridge kickover in WU.

4 rounds of static hold+accessory exercise

tuck planche+5 pseudo planche pushup on rings ( need to prop feet up )

straddle BL+ 5 tuck front lever pullups

adv tuck FL + 5 V-up to V-sit

BS 3x5 heavy. This was nice and not crushing like 5x5. I figure 3x5 is workable since weight is the same vs ascending.

3 rounds of V-hold for 10s, straddle-L for 10s rotating 5r of pike press to HS against wall, bent arm pike press to HS against wall, straddle press to HS against wall

Blairbob

6-5

HS stuff + other stuff for WU. Last night was the first night my chest wasn't hurting on rings so I think I have a clean bill of health. We'll see if holding up heavy weight around chest height still aggravates it ( push press or spotting kids/adults ). Some MU work, 3 in a row, still pretty dirty. working free HSPU on floor, need to lean forward more but suck at balancing the HS.

rounds of 5 tuck planche+5 straight arm frogstand, 5 of 1/2 lay BL+5 of adv tuck BL, 10 of adv tuck FL

3x3 of false grip pullups and bulgarian dips on rings focusing on speed

3-3-2-2 of 20 yard sprints with 1m-90s of recovery in between.

metcon of 3 rounds

1 rope climb ( typically 1/2 way up without legs, use legs to finish, lower without legs ), 5 clapping pushups, ag walk in prone position across floor, 3 25lb SLS on each leg ( was supposed to be jump but ), 5 glute ham lower pushup assist ( probably be better to work these not in a metcon ).

8:30ish couldn't find the stop watch.

rested 3 minutes

3 rounds of

could not hang in a v-hold so substituted basket stretch on lowest bar of stall bars for 15s, 10s straddle L hold and rotating pike press, bent arm pike press and straddle press HS for 3r

Blairbob

6-20

Kept active till the 20th but basically layed off upper body and some poor sleep from computer problems ( crummy OS cds and having to reload OS ) didn't help any. Basically did stretching on the right shoulder/neck, prehab and resting the left arm ( shoulder/elbow ).

Went to CFMarin's Open House on the 20th and did a CFT and FGB right after. Scored 222 on FGB of rowing, wallball, SDHP, PP, and 24" BJ.

Went way too light on BS 1st round last warmup being around 280.

BS 130k, 130k+30lbs, 150k+10lbs. Short of 350 I was hoping to get at least.

SP of 60k+5lbs ( WU was 132/3 ) and failed on 60k+10lbs 2x. I got it overhead and slightly further but wasn't gonna get it up without arching horrendously. Missed 150 by a bit enough to matter.

DL of 160+30, fail@397 and success@402. Still had some more in me. WU sets were much better for SP and DL.

Now, I have a benchmark and I got so close to 900 and the 905 to top out CFMarin and the 408 for their max DL.

Played on rings here and there and talked more than I ate.

Sunday my shoulders were really trashed, just sore in the bone almost.

Blairbob

6-23 and 6-26. Fell asleep on Monday on what was supposed to be a powernap.

Basically just played with finding max's for next GB programming cycle. I need to make my workouts shorter and to do that I'm not gonna do any skill work per them really to make sure as motivation I get into the gym to do skill work. Determined too much pressing not enough pulling and too much intense volume (reps/TUT holds )

Hit 25 SLS and tested CF HSPU to GB HeSPU. Big diff, ratio of 3:1 about.

6-26

Didn't get back into gym because had to work on friend's car. Played with pullups and dips and press to HS on bar stools, Y-HS, OAHS, etc. Burg WU

Blairbob

6-28

Played with burpees I think for form. 30 of good form vs 30 of ****ty form. 13% time difference with noticeable difference in how fatigued I was from them afterwards when doing them with good form.

Blairbob

6-29

Did a bunch of HS stuff. I really need to shift this stuff towards a different workout before coaching because I think it is mucking up my planche work. It's fun but taking a toll, I think.

Attempted embedded forms of planche. Fail. I guess I just need to work press into from sitting and lower to sitting.

3 rounds of

tuck planche+5 ring dips.

1/2 lay back lever+3 L false grip pullups.

extend out to FL from tuck 3x + 3 HLL

1 set of hopping one leg sprints on midfoot on each leg.

1 set of hopping one leg sprints on forefoot

3 sets of 2 25 yard sprints with rest periods

3 sets of HSLL besides V-hold and straddle L for 10s.

stretch.

Blairbob

6-30

warmed up with Oly lifting and strict MU. rings were ****ty and actually spun around after getting to support because they are anchored too close.

snatched 143. form feels better but lift feels slow. power snatch. not really proper rest between lifts but was more of a feel for the form and to see what i could do and warmup. did some cleans in there as well.

attempted "Melissa" but ran out of time before having to get back to work mainly because talked to dad before going to gym.

1 round of

225x15BS

135x15FS

95x15OHS

55xAirSquats

9:38 Ouch, these really tweaked my lower right back and hip besides sucking ***. Next time I'll save 20 bucks and just do this at the gym modified. Eventually I'll try this again but it's one of those WOD's you do once a year or so for ****'s sake.

Amebix138
Blairbob said:
1 set of hopping one leg sprints on midfoot on each leg.

1 set of hopping one leg sprints on forefoot

Hey Blairbob,

Very intriguing. How do you do a hopping one leg sprint?

Thank you,

Amebix

Blairbob

7-3

Attempted to workout with Erik during boy's practice but was hampered by the addition to the workout of another coach's son.

Got in the WU and HS basics and FX but stopped at PB. Shoulders were very achey there and coaching both of them became too much of a chore.

Blairbob

7-4

1776@CrossFitEastSacramento

woke up out of bed and had to fight rolling over. Biked the 5mi to CFES ( f'n wind ) and hit the WU and WOD.

WU was

3r of 200m run ( wore sandals since I figured no running ), 10 pushups, 10 glute ham situps, 10 OHS with bar.

1776m row. Maybe the longest row I've ever done but I might have done 2k once upon a time in college.

5 rounds of 4:

clean and thruster 135lbs

burpee pullups

ground to overhead of 1776lbs. Multitude of options, first being 135x14. Chose 19x95 as I could snatch ( not sure about snatching that near my max ), especially having to clean each rep and jerk it. Figured with snatch could cycle faster than C&J

21:45, I think. Definitely 21.xx

Long ride home followed by a day and night of laying on my side, sleeping/napping and being ill? Stomach flu or burnout?