This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE2 is significantly more difficult than MN/PE1

Started by Tucker, August 6, 2013 · 5 Replies · 400 Views

Tucker

Either my strength or my flexibility, or both even, is lagging significantly as I'm struggling to do 1 correct rep with my knees locked out in a straddle and bringing my torso to a vertical position as shown in the video. Does the width of the straddle matter, as I'm unable to bring myself up for even 1 rep. I've attempted 5x15 with the first progression on two different occasions just to make sure that I can actually do it and not fail halfway (it was quite the challenge, couldn't feel my abs the next couple of days...) Did the workset, then the mobility exercise, and repeat for 5 sets. Any advice on how I can actually get the form down for this? I'm willing to do even 1 rep for 3 sets until I can actually get it right...

 

Edit: torso to vertical position sorry cant think straight ><

Jon Douglas

I would give some thought to G2G with this exercise if you are really struggling, and work through the longer thread as there's a lot of good advice on stretching and hip loosening.

Tucker
Charm said:

I would give some thought to G2G with this exercise if you are really struggling, and work through the longer thread as there's a lot of good advice on stretching and hip loosening.

g2g as in leave it for now and focus on my flexibility issues? I agree, I've attempted it again after making this thread, still no dice still struggling with the first rep. Which thread are you referring to by the way? And thank you for your input

Joshua Slocum

It sounds like you could benefit from working PE1 more. If the mastery test was so strenuous you couldn't feel your abs for the next couple of days, it wasn't really "mastery" then was it? Mastery sets should be a tough challenge, but they shouldn't break you.

Jon Douglas
Tucker said:

g2g as in leave it for now and focus on my flexibility issues? I agree, I've attempted it again after making this thread, still no dice still struggling with the first rep. Which thread are you referring to by the way? And thank you for your input

G2G refers to 'grease the groove,' frequent low-rep, non-straining practise of an exercise to get the motor pattern down. This works very well for me to feel out something like this. I also recommend exaggerating the motion of straddle-up and holding it as high as you can for a few seconds (enjoy the cramps :))

I believe there is a longer thread here somewhere, I'll have a poke around, but there is some good advice here.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12036-mnpe2-straddle-ups-cause-lower-back-pain/?hl=straddle

Forum member Keilani's had good success rehabbing some hip issues and has documented it pretty well, you could do worse than trawl through his posts on that if active flexibility is your problem (over strength, I mean. It is for most people, I would imagine).

 

 

Joshua Slocum said:

It sounds like you could benefit from working PE1 more. If the mastery test was so strenuous you couldn't feel your abs for the next couple of days, it wasn't really "mastery" then was it? Mastery sets should be a tough challenge, but they shouldn't break you.

And this. You can do a lot with running another 4 week cycle of PE1 and low-rep sets of PE2 to feel out the motion.

 

Edit;

What I was thinking of was actually spread across a few threads, as well as the one I mentioned.

Here;

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10281-mnpe2-straddle-up-question/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/11985-return-of-the-mnpe-blues/?hl=pe2

Tucker

Thank you Joshua and Charm for the input :)