Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Abdominal Wheel aka gut wheel vs front lever

GeoffeyLevens

I remember being able to do standing ab wheel roll-outs for reps pretty easily when I first used an ab wheel. That was when I already had a pretty strong full FL and I think I remember still being able to do at least a couple standing ab wheel roll-outs when I regressed to half lay FL.

I'm pretty sure there will also be some at least decent carryover from ab wheel to FL since they work most of the same muscle and are both shoulder extension.

I think $12.22 is pretty overpriced for an ab wheel though because I can usually find ab wheels for less than $10 and they are hardly any different to the one above.

GeoffeyLevens

Thanks B.  I already have one so it's free at this point.  Have not used it for quite awhile though.  Thanks for the report, just the kind of info I was after!

GeoffeyLevens

Thank you, excellent discussions there. I did a bit of an extended work-out this morning doing some back and forth between my flat back tucked FL on a bar  and ab wheel. Noticed particularly what was discussed in the link, some overlap but a lot of difference as well. In particular, upper back (rhomboids etc) that stabilize shoulders in FL not used at all w/ ab wheel and that is really one of my weakest links in the FL..  Glad this has gotten me back to working w/ the wheel though as it does, at least on my body, seem to work abs a lot more than FL does.  I may need to experiment a bit though and find a better way to program the wheel into my training and not double up w/ FL work, have not paid enough attention to that aspect yet.

Thanks again!

Connor Davies

It might be that it only works your abs more because you are still at the tucked front lever stage.  I would be suprised if it still felt like more of a workout after you attain a full lay front lever.

GeoffeyLevens

Hmmm, yeah, straightening legs will likely hit abs a lot!  I am also doing pulls to inverted but they are tucked pulls.  I have done/can do hanging leg raises but they seem to hit hip flexors and not abs; could be some sort of postural or muscle use glitch as my lower abs are I think a bit "lazy".

Joshua Naterman

The lever action is different than a body lever, or a hollow hold, OR a v-up. I'm just saying that because it is important to think about how heavy the actual mass you are moving is, and where the anchor point is, so that you can more easily understand which muscles have to contribute the most to the exercise. This can help you identify which exercises are most likely to shore up any weak points, and this idea is really the core of a smart warm up.

Ab wheels are useful, particularly if you want to have some fun in your warm up, but they are not necessary for progress.

Connor Davies

The lever action is different than a body lever, or a hollow hold, OR a v-up. I'm just saying that because it is important to think about how heavy the actual mass you are moving is, and where the anchor point is, so that you can more easily understand which muscles have to contribute the most to the exercise. This can help you identify which exercises are most likely to shore up any weak points, and this idea is really the core of a smart warm up.

Ab wheels are useful, particularly if you want to have some fun in your warm up, but they are not necessary for progress.

I read this as, "you can do ab wheels as a warmup for front levers" and I'm making the assumption that you would not use front levers as a warmup for ab wheels.  So there you go.

GeoffeyLevens

After yesterday's experiments I can say that on my body at least they use different muscles with overlap. Could be as mentioned above because I am only doing tucked levers and not fully extended ones. Ab wheel generated fatigue and today some soreness in hip flexors and abs, the levers much more effect lats, pecs, upper back--esp rhomboids which on me are a weak link and seem really happy to "feel the burn";  :D Rhombiods :D oh so happy from the levers.  So now both lever progressions and wheel progressions are going to be part of my training.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

So now both lever progressions and wheel progressions are going to be part of my training.

That sounds like the best way to go about it.  Front lever is mostly a pulling exercise, and should be harder on your pulling muscles rather than your core.

ForzaCavaliere

So is there any consensus on which is the more difficult technique: ab-wheel rollouts vs full front lever? 

Connor Davies

So is there any consensus on which is the more difficult technique: ab-wheel rollouts vs full front lever? 

Well, I've heard of people with a full front lever completing a standing ab-wheel rollout in their first attempt, but I've never heard of the reverse...

GeoffeyLevens

Well, I've heard of people with a full front lever completing a standing ab-wheel rollout in their first attempt, but I've never heard of the reverse...

Practicing both lately and seems to me that though they do use some of the same muscles, FL uses some ab wheel does not.  

Practicing both lately and seems to me that though they do use some of the same muscles, FL uses some ab wheel does not.

My experience too.

See also later H1 mobility elements vs. ab wheel

David McManamon

We are trying to compare a dynamic and static exercise.  Compare the different arm positions when you are fully extended in the ab-wheel and your arms are pressing from very different angles in the FL vs ab wheel creating different stress around the shoulder, try a static hold fully extended on the ab wheel and I think you'll find the ab-wheel uses muscles the FL does not too.  I think I noted a sore teres major last time I really worked the ab-wheel.  

• Upvote 1