Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about OAC/OAP

Martynas Morkūnas

Martynas Morkūnas

Hello guys,

Was wondering if I can learn one armed pull up/chin up with only statics and negatives. I don't have access to gym and weights. Got rings, bar, p-bars at home and I train outside with my friends on bars. 

So, is it possible to learn it by this way? BTW, do front lever progressions help? I'm going this way BL > FL > OAC > OAP > PL.

I'm 16, 71kg(156lbs), 183cm(6 feet).

Max strict form pull ups - 25, also, I can do 8-10 strict muscle ups on bar(I don't practice them on rings, because they don't seem as useful as doing them on bar, I mean, bar MU build more explosive power IMO). I do bodyweight training and gymnastics conditioning for about a year.

You can look up One Arm Chinning Guide on Dragondoor by Jack Arnow.

However, there are other ways you can get there.

- Negatives. Work up to about 3 sets of 6-8 reps (per arm) at a very controlled descent.

- Subtracting fingers. Use the middle finger, then when you can get a good amount of reps on that finger (both arms), do ring, then pinkie, then you'll be very close.

- Uneven chins. Get a rope or similar and put it to the left or right and one hand on the bar, then as you get stronger keep moving the hand on the rope down.

- Rope climbing. A great exercise, highly recommended.

- One arm lock offs. Just chin to the top and let go with one arm. Simple.

- Two handed pullups DO NOT correlate to OAC power.

- Be careful about tendonitis.

- OAC on rings is easier, because you don't have to fight the twisting.

- Mats Trane suggested 25 second ascents on the uneven pullups to help find your weak link.

Otherwise, expect almost every answer after me to be about mastering Foundation Series.

Alessandro Mainente

Since front lever is a "lever dependency" skill, is not possible make an assumption like "90% of OAC". the fact that body weight distribution affects the developing of all the levers does not permit you to do a standard coomparison between NO level dependency skills with lever dependency skills.

I don't know who said that, but for my opinion is wrong.

• Upvote 2

But having a solid front lever does transfer to OAC, I can do a OAC (on a good day) and I've never trained for it specifically, it came from doing FL and rope climb

But having a solid front lever does transfer to OAC, I can do a OAC (on a good day) and I've never trained for it specifically, it came from doing FL and rope climb

Is this a fully relaxed dead hang (preferably for 2s before pulling) oac?

I've only managed doing a dead hang OAC two times, but I "usually" do it just past the deadhang since my elbows suffer from doing it when I'm fully relaxed before pulling. I will put some OAC training into my program in the future to get a solid one eventually

Alessandro Mainente

what definitely helps me on OAC is now the rope climbing, i don't train specifically OAC but i'm writing down the progress over the OAC as RC improves. Since my RC improved in the distance of the arms during the pull/curl movement my OAC is better, now i can do it with assistance at the shoulder. And i've never trained OAC.

I wish I had access to a rope. I will test my RC abilities in October when I go back to Uni.

Until then, you can wrap a towel over a chinup bar to simualte the rope

Let's not forget that OAC work and some rope climbing variations are really the same movements. Just that the RC ones are obviously done on a rope which gives extra benefits like greater grip strength development. So I think we should not say that we did rope climbing, but not OAC work.

Some people get good carryover from FL to OAC like me, but alex87 is correct that we shouldn't directly compare a lever dependency skill to a non-lever dependency skill with a percentage.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I wish I had access to a rope. I will test my RC abilities in October when I go back to Uni.

So I went to gymnastics last night, where I was able to try rope climbs. It was my 2nd time ever of doing them (since last September).

I was able to do them with pretty much maximal "stride length" between each hand, or whatever you call it. I was also able to control the cirques in full ROM - they actually felt easier than oac negatives on a bar lol. I think this is because the positioning of the arm is more suited to my strength (it's like not quite supinated, but not neutral either).

I have to admit that the movement feels a lot more natural than an oac on a bar. Everything feels good.

I'm not sure what my best RC is yet (because I did it at the end of the session), but my max stride started to decline after about 2/3 the way up.

---

I also tried full length rings, and was in for a surprise again. Before even having any rings experience (last september), the support was so shaky. Even since getting rings at home and becoming "stable" with them, they were still pretty shaky last night!

• Upvote 1

Though it makes sense that. I mainly train in the 1-3 rep range, so my endurance is going to be lower. If I practise climbs more often, I should improve quickly. Or if I do higher volume oac work, it would also help.

• 2 weeks later...

u wont get planche from oac or oap. and if u want to train oac just do negatives but try to hold 2 sec at the top position then 2 sec at 90deggre position and also keep control and do them as slow as u can