Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frog Stand Question

Chris Hobbs

Hi All,

When I first started the frog stand I was unable to get my hands anywhere near my toes. My arms just seemed too short. So I started doing the frog stand as close as I was able to get them (which was probably about a foot or so away).

I tested myself today and to my surprise I found that I can now hold that position for around a minute. Most importantly is that it was easy - the duration seemed predicated more on my focus and balance than on strength. Thus time to move on, right?

However, I am unable to get into a solid straight arm frog stand with my hands that far away ... so I tried the bent arm frog stand with my hands right next to my toes. Lo and behold I was able to do it, but it was much more difficult. Seems like the biggest difference is that my hips are lower with my hands closer to my toes.

I have also tried straightening my arms while in the bent arm frog stand and this definitely taxes me as well.

My question is, should I revisit the static bent arm frog stand with closer-to-the-toes hand position, or take option two and leave my hands where I had them but work on pressing/lifting upwards while in position? Which will be more helpful in getting me to a straight arm frog stand?

- Chris

With your current strength levels, I would recommend working with the hands closer to the toes position.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks Coach. I will retest my frog stand with hands closer and put it in as appropriate.

I hadn't realized moving the hands away would make it easier, I thought it was just a concession to my flexibility levels. My wife, who actually has reasonable flexibility and thus was placing her hands where they were supposed to go, has been trying the frog stands but having trouble. Last night I had her try it with her hands out further and she was able to get into position and be much more solid as well. Might be useful for others as well.

- Chris